Thicker Tires Front? Back?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004

New question here. Thicker Tires Front? Back?

I need some advice....

I'm building up a hardtail SS frame and wish to run thicker tires (2.3 - 2.5 UST tubeless) in the back for cushioning and also, hopefully, traction.

I've heard of alot of folks running thicker tires in from when they have rigid forks, also for cushioning. I figured this was a good thing...

My questions are these, If I build the frame up with a suspension fork, do I still gain anything by having a big thick front tire? Does it pay to have a thinner tire, 2.1 in front? Is handling affected by either? I plan to run UST tubeless in the front as well...

I appreciate in advance and advice or comments on this that I can get...

Thanks, -r

Medium?

Thicker, or wider?

Thicker sidewalls, as in DH tires allow you to run lower pressure without pinch flatting or blowing your tubeless off the rims.

Wider tires go over bumps easier, through ruts easier and hang on better in corners. The only drawback is that they're a little harder to pedal on flat, hard, smooth surfaces; higher rolling resistance. Oh, and they can be heavier.

For what it's worth, I think tubeless is worthless. Overall they're not lighter. If you're going to run low pressure, you can run a thicker sidewall, heavier tire. It will protect your rims against rocks. If you're running higher pressure, the tubeless provides no benefit at all. If you get a flat you likely have to put in a tube anyway, so you always have to carry one. The tires are more $$, and are the selections are limited. I say go for <a href="http://www.yestubes.com/">yes tubes</a>.

If you're on a hardtail, your rear tire is your only suspension. Try a Tioga 2.1 DH or 2.3 DH, or the heavy version of the WTB mutanoraptor 2.24. An IRC Kujo 2.25 DH is super beefy, but also super heavy.

If you're running a suspension fork, I'd run something big, but light, at 35-40 psi. Since you have suspension, pump up the tire, let the suspension soak up the bumps and the rubber compound hold the trail.

Mutanoraptor 2.4s aren't any bigger than the 2.24 version. Since you're not running them at low pressure, you can run the race version. Lots of people like the Weirwolf 2.5 race. The panaracer 2.4 fr is super-beefy without weighing a kg. Stay away from motoraptors. I never found a situation when they hooked up very well other than blacktop, and their sidewalls are so weak that if you run low pressure the rim will roll over the tire.

The bible of tires is maintained by our own Shiggy: http://www.themudzone.com/

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Good job! Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Fast Eddy
    Thicker sidewalls, as in DH tires allow you to run lower pressure without pinch flatting or blowing your tubeless off the rims.

Wider tires go over bumps easier, through ruts easier and hang on better in corners. The only drawback is that they're a little harder to pedal on flat, hard, smooth surfaces; higher rolling resistance. Oh, and they can be heavier.

For what it's worth, I think tubeless is worthless. Overall they're not lighter. If you're going to run low pressure, you can run a thicker sidewall, heavier tire. It will protect your rims against rocks. If you're running higher pressure, the tubeless provides no benefit at all. If you get a flat you likely have to put in a tube anyway, so you always have to carry one. The tires are more $$, and are the selections are limited. I say go for <a href="http://www.yestubes.com/">yes tubes</a>.

If you're on a hardtail, your rear tire is your only suspension. Try a Tioga 2.1 DH or 2.3 DH, or the heavy version of the WTB mutanoraptor 2.24. An IRC Kujo 2.25 DH is super beefy, but also super heavy.

If you're running a suspension fork, I'd run something big, but light, at 35-40 psi. Since you have suspension, pump up the tire, let the suspension soak up the bumps and the rubber compound hold the trail.

Mutanoraptor 2.4s aren't any bigger than the 2.24 version. Since you're not running them at low pressure, you can run the race version. Lots of people like the Weirwolf 2.5 race. The panaracer 2.4 fr is super-beefy without weighing a kg. Stay away from motoraptors. I never found a situation when they hooked up very well other than blacktop, and their sidewalls are so weak that if you run low pressure the rim will roll over the tire.

The bible of tires is maintained by our own Shiggy: http://www.themudzone.com/

Man!, I sure do appreciate the advice above!

You sure are right about the UST selection. Not only tires, but rims as well.

I will go with tube tires and will use the FR Weirwolf for the rear and Race Weirwolf for the front (great advice). Where I live in NC, the trails are pretty rooty, rocky and a little less than dry. I will probably also try out some MutanoRaptors as well. WTB products have been really good to me.

I'm still investigating YesTubes.... I checked out the website, and couldn't find any info to make me a believer...especially at $49.99 a pair. I will post an inquiry on this board to learn more and see testimonials...

Thanks again, -r

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

a thought

Sounds like you are going the right direction for where you live. One quick thought on tubeless though. I live in CO and they don't call them the Rockys for nothing. Point being, tubeless can be your friend in certain situations . I have gotten many flats with all 2.4 conventional tires and all diffferent tire pressure. I have only been riding tubeless on my rear wheel.I ride the Conti 2.3 vert pro tubeless.My friend cuts me a deal from his shop but they are still pricey. I have not had any problems with it yet. I still ride a mutano 2.4 on front and love it in our conditions (I liked the motoraptor for about a week or two but when it lost its edge I found it breaking loose up front in the corners)

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by heavydude
    ...I'm still investigating YesTubes.... I checked out the website, and couldn't find any info to make me a believer...especially at $49.99 a pair. I will post an inquiry on this board to learn more and see testimonials...

Thanks again, -r
    Uhhh... You do realize that the "YesTubes" site is a joke. Satire of the NoTubes setup.

YesTubes are just normal, everyday inner tubes.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Smile Yes Sir....

Quote Originally Posted by shiggy©®™
    Uhhh... You do realize that the "YesTubes" site is a joke. Satire of the NoTubes setup.

YesTubes are just normal, everyday inner tubes.

I do now.....ha ha See the separate thread on YesTubes... ( The fisherman threw out his line.....I took the bait........and the members of the board reeled me in........ ' kinda like an initiation into a club....a singlespeed club.... I was skeptical at least....