These cogs kicked my ass badly!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2005

These cogs kicked my ass badly!

Hey dude,
    I've got 23t + 24t Kick ass cog from Endless bike (tks Marshall!), and found that its too difficult to fit these cogs into my King Disc hub. These splines seems too tight for stainless drive shell of King hub.
    Anyone has similar situation? I don't have any fitting problems for other cogs such as Surly, Novatec, so please help me out!

-Aki

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I have never had a problem with my kings and my KAC's.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Are your King hubs with Alu drive shell or Stainless?

-Aki

highly visible
    I've found both of my Endless cogs to be a pretty tight fit on my (steel) Shimano hubs, but still doable.. Try squirting a little silicone spray lube on there to ease installation. Also check for burrs or sharp edges and file them off. And try the cog in several different on the freehub.
    "People like GloyBoy are deaf. They are partisan, intellectually lazy & usually very angry." -Jaybo

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Yup extremely tight fit on my 29er speed Industry Nines. In fact I had a hell of a time getting it off to ajust chain line. When I got it off I kept it off for fear of destroying my I9 hub. I really like the wide foot print of the endless cogs base at the cassette and the spacer kit is really nice too but I had to switch it out with a Niner Cog.

mtbr member
    I would call Marshall. He has been great to deal with and took care of my similiar problem asap.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I have the aluminum body. For that matter, if you are running SS, why are you not just running BMX cogs? The softer steel cog should not dig into the harder SS cassette.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Thanks, dude!
    I will try with silicon lube and file again, or send e-mail to Marshall.

thorn;
    Actually I go with "Dingle speed". Osaka trails are steep and I would like to hit to trailhead so I run 36x17, 32x23 on normal King hub with lots of spacer. My 17t cog is Shimano BMX (steel) that would dig into alu d-shell so I run steel d-shell. For 23t (or up) I cannot find other than KAC.

KAC are very light and good quarity and pretty wide choice (~25t) I know. And for King steel d-shell, I doubt its tight tolerance (I once fought to excange inner bearings). Both the drive shell and the cog are tight tolerance and these make fit problem I guess.

-Aki
    Last edited by angrybee; 02-14-2007 at 05:10 PM.

highly visible
    Quote Originally Posted by william_thorn
    I have the aluminum body. For that matter, if you are running SS, why are you not just running BMX cogs? The softer steel cog should not dig into the harder SS cassette.
    Because BMX cogs do not come in 17t, 19t, 21t, 22t, 23t, 24 or 25t as Kick-Ass Cogs do. Actually I do use BMX cogs for the sizes they do come in, mostly 18t and 20t.
    "People like GloyBoy are deaf. They are partisan, intellectually lazy & usually very angry." -Jaybo

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I had the same problem with fit on my deore hubs with the endless cogs.. I had to tap them on and off. I guess the tolerences are just very tight.

J

Members who have read this thread: 0