Is there a slack, short cs, alu frame?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2013

Is there a slack, short cs, alu frame?

Does anyone know of an singlespeed aluminum frame with sliding dropouts (or similar non-EBB system), that has a fairly slack (67-68 degree) head angle, and short (~420) chainstays? I love my 2012 Honzo, but am toying around with getting something lighter.

The only frame I've come across that fits my picky parameters is the newer "plus" Stache, which would be just fine to run as a standard 29r, which is what I want... it's just really hard to find a frame only that's not $900.

Of course, Kona makes an alu Honzo now, but it ain't ss without some tensioner.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    the salsa timberjack has a 68* ha and 420-437mm cs. i think the frame only option is supposed to to be pretty affordable. $400 iirc. fits both 27.5x3 or 29x2.5.
    2003 Kona A
    2005 Kona A
    2012 Cannondale Hooligan
    2016 Salsa Deadwood

mtbr member
    Why limit yourself to aluminum?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by buell View Post
    the salsa timberjack has a 68* ha and 420-437mm cs. i think the frame only option is supposed to to be pretty affordable. $400 iirc. fits both 27.5x3 or 29x2.5.
    Only one that comes to mind as well

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Thanks for the Timberjack tip. I wish the chainstays were shorter -- but it's in the park.

@bikeny: Sure, I'd gladly consider other materials. I specified alu because I think I've surveyed all the other frames in other materials. I don't really want carbon, but probably would've sprung for the EPO if it had adjustable rear drops. There are good steel options, but I think the Honzo's one of the best; alternatively, the slightly lighter steel frames out there just don't offer much in the way of weight savings vs. cost. Then there's Ti, which I just can't afford right now.

That leaves alu, which is fine with me; I'm not a stickler against the supposedly "harsh" ride. Considering the popularity of "long & slack" bikes, it's odd that there are not more hardtail options, especially in affordable alu...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    FWIW I've been running a Yelli Screamy, single with a tensioner, for years. I'd originally bought the frame thinking a magic gear conversion would work perfectly, and was really disappointed that I needed a tensioner. And now, years later, I no longer care if frames are single speed compatible or not. A simple tensioner is, in my opinion, a very worthy ss option - in fact I like it better than some ss options I've had in the past (eg, EBB - would rather have a tensioner than another EBB).

My take would be find the frame you like and go for it. Especially if you can pick up the frame used and on the cheap side :-)

mtbr member
    Lenz sport

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    RSD Sergeant.
    I had it set up SS earlier this year. Super fun.

I have gears on it now, and currently building up another SS:

Hightower
    Log Lady 27+ SS
    Surly Wednesday
    RSD Catalyst all road bike
    On One fixed
    1999 Chameleon SS

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Collins View Post
    Thanks for the Timberjack tip. I wish the chainstays were shorter -- but it's in the park.
    The Timberjack is pretty damn short, use this (http://eehouse.org/fixin/formfmu.php) to get a chainring/cog combo that gives you the ratio and chain stay length you want (short as possible).

Even the shorter steel ones are only going to give you a reduction of 5-7mm (honzo 5mm, nimble9 7mm for example).

I run a 32x20 on one bike and a 28x18 on another the ratio is almost identical but the difference in CS length is 7mm (see pics below)

Is there a slack, short cs, alu frame?-capture.jpgIs there a slack, short cs, alu frame?-capture2.jpgName:  Capture3.PNG
Views: 307
Size:  18.4 KB

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Thanks. Running 34:20, which makes it easy to keep the CS at <420, which is where I really like them on a 29r. Timberjack is 420 at the shortest, which means it would be at least 425 real-world, once you get tension.

Anyway, this is no sweat -- I can ride the Honzo until something ideal comes along.

mtbr member
    Is there a slack, short cs, alu frame?-image-5.jpgI recently built up a Santa Cruz Chameleon. HTA is 67.5 with a 522 A2C fork. Im running a rigid thats 490 so a tad steeper.

They have a SS rear dropout kit so no tensioner needed. Very fun bike. Mine came out to 20 pounds with some heavy tires.

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by Streetdoctor View Post
    Lenz sport

beat me to it.

67* HTA, 420mm CS, and sliders.

Plus a stealth dropper and 140mm travel on each end!

Is there a slack, short cs, alu frame?-8a3a0677.jpg

Is there a slack, short cs, alu frame?-8a3a0663.jpg