Currently in Exile

Thak goodness I found you in time

I had picked up this old Cannondale for FREE about a month ago. I was going to turn it into a cyclocross rig, but now I KNOW that the only proper thing to do with this bike is convert it to SS! I am researching now, and will try to avoid asking the same ?s that have been asked over and over before.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "There are those who would say there's something pathological about the need to ride, and they're probably on to something. I'd wager though that most of the society-approved compulsions leave deeper scars in the psyche than a need to go and ride a bicycle on a mountain." Cam McRea

¡Manos arriba!
    So are you a Reservist or hunter?
    (Cammies hanging in teh back of the picture ;-)

Currently in Exile

Active Duty Air Force

My avitar is actually my wing emblem.
    "There are those who would say there's something pathological about the need to ride, and they're probably on to something. I'd wager though that most of the society-approved compulsions leave deeper scars in the psyche than a need to go and ride a bicycle on a mountain." Cam McRea

Rollin' a fatty Moderator
    Is that a M500? I currently have a M700 converted to SS sitting on the garage waiting for some brake levers.

Is a nice ride.

Currently in Exile

Yes it is

I need to get a saddle and seat post for it for starters. Looks like I will have to get brake levers as it has Exage brifters on it right now. So, I might as well replace the canti's too. The wackey bar ends that are on it right now HAVE GOT TO GO! I have a shorter set that I can bolt to it. I also have a negative rise stem (Cannondale) and a Bontrager low rise bar to put on it.

So, I guess that what I need to purchase are:

Singleator
    16 T rear cog
    Brakes and levers
    Saddle
    Seat post

Would it look stupid to put bar ends on a riser bar? I have been riding road alot over the past year, and have become very aware of the fashion police. If so, I will need some new grips as any I have laying around are cut for the bar ends.

Ride Bikes, Drink Beer
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozenspokes
    Would it look stupid to put bar ends on a riser bar? I have been riding road alot over the past year, and have become very aware of the fashion police. If so, I will need some new grips as any I have laying around are cut for the bar ends.
    Most would say it looks stupid, but set it up how you like it. Once you have the riser on it, you'll probably find you don't need the bar ends. A wider riser will treat you better.

Whatever! Just crash it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Farmboy
    Most would say it looks stupid, but set it up how you like it. Once you have the riser on it, you'll probably find you don't need the bar ends. A wider riser will treat you better.
    I'll second this.... Usually you do one or the other. I personally run flat bars with bar ends. I have found this setup works best with my positioning. Most folks that I ride with use a medium width riser bar.

Good luck. Welcome to the tribe.

Peter
    If a man talks dirty to a woman, it's sexual harassment. If a woman talks dirty to a man, it's $3.95 per minute.

Bike Wrench Blog ** Unfortunate Series of Events

Sofa King We Todd Did
    Before we get to the whole single speed setup thing, I'm more intrigued by how in the world you were able to score an entire Cannondale bike for free..! Oh, and if it's an encouragement, I just put together my very first singlespeed bike, and it was a breeze. If a retarded monkey like me can do it...

I used the search function here extensively in my research.

Kill your... television

Riser bars are nice..

Especially on a fully rigid (and Cannondales are very rigid) bike. Keep the weight up off of those wrists

Currently in Exile

Saw your build, looks nice

Quote Originally Posted by SpinWheelz
    Before we get to the whole single speed setup thing, I'm more intrigued by how in the world you were able to score an entire Cannondale bike for free..! Oh, and if it's an encouragement, I just put together my very first singlespeed bike, and it was a breeze. If a retarded monkey like me can do it...

I used the search function here extensively in my research.
    I have probably read through that thread that you started about three times now. Great info in there. The 'search' function is great too. Now just a matter of picking out the info that pertains to my situation.

As far as how I got almost the entire bike for free, it is one of the benefits of being in the military. We have to move more often than most civilians, so people start getting rid of stuff that they haven't used in a while. BINGO! I have a free bike.

Sofa King We Todd Did
    Good job on scoring the freebie, mate. If you ever come across another free bike in a small size, won't you keep a brother in mind...!

In any case, I'm pleased that that thread turned out to be somewhat useful. I started it as a means to keep all my questions in one place, and it turned into some sorta blog about the progress I was making. Most of the trials and errors are still fresh in my head, so if you have any specific queries, don't hesitate to ask.

mtbr member

Ride what feels best...

...but I doubt you'd feel the need for ends with a wide riser. I saw some Azonic 28" wide on Cambria the other day cheap.

Sean
    Professional Amateur

Probably drunk right now

A couple of things...

I need to get a saddle and seat post for it for starters. Looks like I will have to get brake levers as it has Exage brifters on it right now. So, I might as well replace the canti's too. The wackey bar ends that are on it right now HAVE GOT TO GO! I have a shorter set that I can bolt to it. I also have a negative rise stem (Cannondale) and a Bontrager low rise bar to put on it.

So, I guess that what I need to purchase are:

Singleator
    16 T rear cog
    Brakes and levers
    Saddle
    Seat post

Cannondales are an interesting SS because more often than not, you'll be a ble to find a magic gear. A magic gear is a front chainring rear cog combination that allows you to run a tensioned chain w/o a tensioner.

Your Wing Designator: It has to be a TAC wing (or whatever the USAF calls their immediate response branch these days). What weapon system do you support?

Ken

Currently in Exile

5th Bomb Wing

TAC, That's old school man. When were you in Ken? We are Air Combat Command now. That took the place of both SAC and TAC. The other command is AMC (Air Mobility Command) which replaced MAC. The re-orginization happened in the early '90s. We have B-52's here now.

Currently in Exile

Scored this last night on E-bay

I almost missed it, but managed to get in on the last minute of the auction. The seller says that the singulator spring is weak, but having read the post on singulator problems, I now know that is a common problem. It may take some modification to work with a seven speed rear hub, but I will cross that bridge when I get there.

I also was diging around in my old bike stuff, and found a set of Canti brake levers. Sure they don't work as well as V brakes, but you can't beat the price. The last thing that I am going to need for this build is a seatpost. So far I am at about $43.00 total for the project after getting grips, bolts, and brake cables from the LBS.

Can't wait for the E-bay stuff to arrive so I can get to work on this thing!

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

seatpost

The last thing that I am going to need for this build is a seatpost.
    Hey! Figure out what size you need...you probably already know...and let us know.
    One of us is bound to have a post sittin' around that would work...voila! Free seat post.
    I know that, after reading this thread, if I have one, I'll mail it to you for free just to get you out on the trail.
    Or perhaps you already got one comin' from EBAY.
    Paulbug@mhcamps.org

Sofa King We Todd Did
    So far I am at about $43.00 total for the project after getting grips, bolts, and brake cables from the LBS
    You're off to a great start. You could likely finish this thing for about $100! I took another look at the list of things you said you needed.

Assuming you're running v-brakes, if it helps any, I got my Deore brakeset from Nashbar. What I did was have them pricematch the brakes with JensonUSA for $12 a piece (Nashbar sell them for $20 a piece), then got the silver Deore levers (comes with cables and housing) from them for $15. Complete brakeset for $39 plus shipping (don't forget to use the 10% coupon code), which I thought was a good deal. I had originally wanted the Avid Single Digit 7 brakeset from Price Point for $70, but this was cheaper alternative.

Currently in Exile

Answers

Paulbug, the Seatpost diameter is 27.2. The one you see in the picture is actually bent and won't go down into the seattube. I keep it around because I am a packrat. That is how I found the Canti brake levers. For that matter, that is why I had most of the parts that I have put on this bike around the house. Maybe I should get rid of some of that stuff.............Naaaah, never know when I'll get another FREE frame to build up.

As for the brakes, for now they will stay canti's. I have the levers on, and the cables routed. I even have them adjusted pretty well so that both pads hit the rim at the same time and with enough throw left in the levers that I can really lock them up if need be.

I have spent most of my free time over the last few days wrenching on/cleaning/daydreaming about riding this bike. Sounds a bit crazy to me as I have OTHER bikes, but this one is just going to be so COOL. What a dork I am getting all excited about an old bike that someone was throing out as junk!