TENSIONER vs, NO TENSIONER- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    5

    Smile TENSIONER vs, NO TENSIONER

    I Just Converted My Trek 8000 To A Ss By Using A 32t Salsa Ring In The Frt And 18t Bmx Cog On The Rear With An Older Model Surly Singulator. If I Were To Get A 1/2 Link And Loose The Tensioner, Would The Quick Release Skewer Be Sufficient Or Would I Need To Get A Bolt On Axle???

    I Am Running A 6-7 Speed Kmc Chain On The Bike. Should I Be Using A Bmx Chain?

    Thanks......

  2. #2
    Out spokin'
    Reputation: Sparticus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1999
    Posts
    9,646

    Here's one loser's opinion...

    As much as I hate running a tensioner on my vert-dropout X-Caliber, I like dropping the chain or running it too tight or too loose even less. Personally I'll run the tensioner on any bike that lacks any other form of chain tension adjustment.

    If you're running vertical dropouts, it's fine to run a QR in any case.

    Personally, I use the narrowest chain I can fit on the cog/ring. Although BMX chains weigh more, thereby giving the impression that they're stronger, I've come to believe that a standard multi-speed chain (no matter 6/7/8/9-speed) is easily up to the task of singlespeeding. I do have dedicated 1/8" rings and cogs and have used BMX chains (high quality like Sram PC-7x). I also own narrow rings/cogs with which I utilize an 8-spd chain. I've never broken either type of chain. But I believe that the better the width of the chain matches the width of the cog/ring, the better overall performance.

    I do know of one fellow (the legendary General Coonskins) who split the pin rollers on his PC-7x chain radially from using a narrow cog with the wide chain.

    --Sparty


    Quote Originally Posted by erkstone
    I Just Converted My Trek 8000 To A Ss By Using A 32t Salsa Ring In The Frt And 18t Bmx Cog On The Rear With An Older Model Surly Singulator. If I Were To Get A 1/2 Link And Loose The Tensioner, Would The Quick Release Skewer Be Sufficient Or Would I Need To Get A Bolt On Axle???

    I Am Running A 6-7 Speed Kmc Chain On The Bike. Should I Be Using A Bmx Chain?

    Thanks......
    disciplesofdirt.org

    We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

  3. #3
    Rollin' a fatty Moderator
    Reputation: DiRt DeViL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    5,843
    I'm running a Salsa 34t, Novatech 18t cog, PC99 Hollowpin chain with a half link and no tensioner, so far so good.

    No problems with the QR's so far, I'm using SRAM hubs with SRAM QRs.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ernesto_from_Wisconsin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,004

    TENSIONER vs ENO

    ENo will make you happier. Eccentric hub = perfect tension every time.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    6,892
    Quote Originally Posted by ernesto_from_Wisconsin
    ENo will make you happier. Eccentric hub = perfect tension every time.
    .........ENo = No disc brakes -------> not for me

  6. #6
    KgB
    KgB is offline
    SNGLSPD
    Reputation: KgB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,034

    what I have found

    A half link still will not give you proper tension.
    a quick release will hold just fine.
    My experience with chains: shimanos suck all others are fine,singlespeeding puts less stress on chains because of the straight chainline.
    If you are handy with a file or dremel there are a few things you could do.
    check Sheldon Brown's site for some info on this.

    An ENO is an enormous waste of money.
    I've been inside too long.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MellowCat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    877

    Have you looked at Discos?

    http://offcamber.com/directions.html

    Fett and a few others run this setup, seems to work great and its cheap!




    Quote Originally Posted by erkstone
    I Just Converted My Trek 8000 To A Ss By Using A 32t Salsa Ring In The Frt And 18t Bmx Cog On The Rear With An Older Model Surly Singulator. If I Were To Get A 1/2 Link And Loose The Tensioner, Would The Quick Release Skewer Be Sufficient Or Would I Need To Get A Bolt On Axle???

    I Am Running A 6-7 Speed Kmc Chain On The Bike. Should I Be Using A Bmx Chain?

    Thanks......

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ernesto_from_Wisconsin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,004

    ENO is not a waste

    Quote Originally Posted by KgB

    An ENO is an enormous waste of money.
    No way, I disagree. ENOs are a cure for tensioning headaches. Before I found out about the ENO hub, I asked Waterford if they could install an EBB shell on my Gunnar Rockhound. They told me the frame was going to be stripped, cut, welded, repainted = $400, the same price I paid for the frame, at cost. Then one day I found out about ENO and just ordered one from WebCyclery....it was better than a grilled cheese sandwich...The rest is history with White Ind. Sarah n' me have done web updates, ads, etc., and soon, the whole website will be new, thanks to me. The price justifies the manufacture of the high end hubs. I would never say that a hanging tensioner is a waste of $$$, just a way of testing SS, and if one likes their Trek or Yeti ht frame enough not to get a new frame, then ENO is the answer.

    In a few months, the eccentric ENO will have versions. That's all I am saying.

    "We're only making plans for Nigel...auuuuuuuuuuu"
    Last edited by ernesto_from_Wisconsin; 03-07-2004 at 08:59 AM. Reason: clarity

  9. #9
    Out spokin'
    Reputation: Sparticus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1999
    Posts
    9,646

    Please help me understand

    Quote Originally Posted by KgB
    An ENO is an enormous waste of money.
    KgB, what makes you say this? I am curious because I am considering the purchse of an eccentric ENO for my CoMotion -- it would make a fantastic SS.

    Thanks.

    --Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org

    We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

  10. #10
    KgB
    KgB is offline
    SNGLSPD
    Reputation: KgB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,034

    Just like AOL

    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus
    KgB, what makes you say this? I am curious because I am considering the purchse of an eccentric ENO for my CoMotion -- it would make a fantastic --Sparty
    Sometimes I'm afraid to check my mail because I know those bast@rds at AOL are going to send me another CD or promotion.
    That's what i'm feeling here.
    I've been inside too long.

  11. #11
    flaccid member
    Reputation: retch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    86

    no tensioner for me...

    I filed the dropouts on my steel frame so I wouldn't have to run a tensioner. That way I can ride cross country (literally) through grass fields and have one less thing for salad to hang onto. I also enjoy the sound of small sticks that would probably screw up a tensioner get chewed up & spit out by my tensioner-free setup. The derailleur I used for a tensioner was pretty darn noisy too, but I'm not sure if "real" tensioners have that problem.
    Who's really holding the remote control?

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-05-2004, 04:13 PM
  2. Need help with new cranks/chainguide or tensioner system
    By DownHillFast in forum Drivetrain - shifters, derailleurs, cranks
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-04-2004, 02:22 PM
  3. Determining if I can go sans tensioner?
    By seely in forum Singlespeed
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-07-2004, 10:19 AM
  4. rennen tensioner ?
    By dirt diggler in forum Singlespeed
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-04-2004, 12:18 PM
  5. 425mm chainstays and no tensioner?
    By Timber in forum Singlespeed
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-31-2004, 07:31 AM

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.