Tensioner Up or down?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2007

Tensioner Up or down?

have just slapped my first SS together and realised when I compare my bike with the pictures on this site that other guys have their tensioners forcing the chain up. I have done the opposite???

Can someone explain why it needs to be tensioned towards the frame??? I can do it - it will mean a shorter chain that's all.

My tensioner is a DMS STS

thks

SS amateur Dash

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Depends on your tensioner. Most spring ones will push it down. I think you have the option with yours and it's all preference. I push mine up becuase I think it looks cleaner, and it gives it more wrap on the rear cog.

Paste eater
    doesn't matter, if it works, it works...

poser Administrator
    I prefer up because when it bounces (if it one of those that bounce) the chain stays on top of the pulley wheel vs. under when it bounces it moves away from the pulley. Mostly academic but I also like the push up mode because if it breaks on a ride you can tie it to the chainstay (of course if yours has no difference in set up for push or pull then this is also moot, mine has a guide on one side so it makes a difference).
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    thanks for your collective advice. Several pictures of the DMS tensioner show it both ways!!!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Run up if you can, more chain engagement means slower wear on chain and cogs.
    dh

Members who have read this thread: 0