Tensioner Pulley Too Narrow- Mtbr.com
    JP3
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Tensioner Pulley Too Narrow

I just bought one of these [DMR STS tesioners]:

http://www.dmrbikes.com/?Section=pro...s&itemid=CDSTS

In addition, I bought a KMC Z710 KOOL BMX BIKE SILVER/BLACK 1/8" CHAIN.

I did not read the fine print on the tensioner that states that it is "Designed to run with a geared chain..." In short, the chain is too wide to fit into the pulley.

Questions:
    Is it possible to buy a wider pulley? If so, where and what kind?

Retro Grouch
    Quote Originally Posted by JP3
    I just bought one of these [DMR STS tesioners]:

http://www.dmrbikes.com/?Section=pro...s&itemid=CDSTS

In addition, I bought a KMC Z710 KOOL BMX BIKE SILVER/BLACK 1/8" CHAIN.

I did not read the fine print on the tensioner that states that it is "Designed to run with a geared chain..." In short, the chain is too wide to fit into the pulley.

Questions:
    Is it possible to buy a wider pulley? If so, where and what kind?
    This has been a common problem with tensioners. Today you do have some 1/8 chain choices. Rennen and Surly have redesigned their tensioners for 1/8" chains and the Sette (Pricepoint;modeled after the Rennen) is the least expensive. As far as buying a different roller, I'm guessing not. The price of an individual roller would probably exceed buying a complete part.
    Just one more rep and I get the toaster!

mtbr member
    You could simply put on a cheap geared chain. Either way your probably going to be buying either a new tensioner or chain.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    That's weird it won't work. I run a 1/8" chain and rear cog but have a 3/32" front chain ring with no problem. I always thought a 3/32" chain won't work with 1/8" gears, but the other way is fine. Did you try it out on the bike?

If it's a matter of the chain hitting the sides of the pulley, you may be able to put a washer on both sides of the pulley and widen the cage a bit. Never tried it, but it might work.
    "Doing the right thing" is like water. It's good for all living things,and flows without thinking about where it's going.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I am now using that tensioner and it seems to work great so far. My 8-speed Sram chain fits nicely in the pulley

Retro Grouch
    Quote Originally Posted by mountainflow
    That's weird it won't work. I run a 1/8" chain and rear cog but have a 3/32" front chain ring with no problem. I always thought a 3/32" chain won't work with 1/8" gears, but the other way is fine. Did you try it out on the bike?

If it's a matter of the chain hitting the sides of the pulley, you may be able to put a washer on both sides of the pulley and widen the cage a bit. Never tried it, but it might work.
    The tensioner JP3 is using does not utilize a standrad derailluer pulley, it uses a grooved acrylic wheel and the groove is not wide enough to accept an 1/8" chain.
    Just one more rep and I get the toaster!

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by aka brad
    The tensioner JP3 is using does not utilize a standrad derailluer pulley, it uses a grooved acrylic wheel and the groove is not wide enough to accept an 1/8" chain.
    OK, I see. Well if the OP is running standard 8/9 speed cog and chainrings with a 1/8" chain, then a new chain is probably the easiest. If he's running 1/8" all around then he needs a new tensioner. Maybe he can return it?
    "Doing the right thing" is like water. It's good for all living things,and flows without thinking about where it's going.

JP3
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Thanks!

New Chain on the way!

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I am in the same situation with a 1/8 chain that is slightly wider than the grove in the rubbber roller. I replaced the roller with a jockey wheel from an old derailleur and reset the tension.So far so good.

mtbr member
    the Surly Singleator works with 3/32 chains and 1/8" chains. i had one but the spring died after a few rides. i was not impressed.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I have run jocky wheels on tensioners in the past.An easy modification.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I have the DMR STS tensioner and it also wouldn't accept the wide KMC 410-HX chain. Luckily I had double chainring chain guide which had a wider polymer pulley that was swapped for the stock narrow DMR one, works like a charm now.

As others have suggested the idea of using a derailleur pulley is a good advice and I don't see why it also wouldn't work with the right adjustment.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    im having the same issue with this tensioner. im using the sram pc-1 chain. it is really tight but it does work. im hoping that it will eventually just wear it self a groove into the pully and loosen up. i may pull the pulley off and try to grind some material away to speed up the process because it does add some unwanted resistance.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    well my pulley is fixed. nothing that a dremel cut off wheel cant fix

mtbr member
    Dammit, this just happened to me as well. No mention on the Jensen website that it doesn't accept a 1/8 chain. Guess I'll be writing a review and heading to REI for a new chain or seeing if the Dremel is a possibility to widen the roller.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Dltd
    Last edited by 1SPDBING; 03-15-2014 at 06:05 PM.

mtbr member
    It was a lot easier to buy a new chain. Maybe when ai get around to upgrading my rear cog I'll upgrade to a better pulley as well and make use of the 1/8 chain then.

Dive Bomber
    I use bearings covered with PVC pipe.

Members who have read this thread: 0