Tensioner for Paul WORD hub in horizontal frame- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005

Tensioner for Paul WORD hub in horizontal frame

I'm currently utilising a Pauls WORD bolt-up hub on the back of my Soma 4one5.
    Whilst I have been using the Surly tuggnut tensioner, I've recently noticed a bit of a problem.

With the bolts that come with the Pauls hub, they use a gold washer with a sleeve that fits in the dropouts. Without the sleeve part, the dropouts would be resting on the thread of the bolts.
    Thats all good, but with the Surly tuggnut installed, the sleeve on the gold washer is pushed away from the frame, leaving a small surface area in contact with the dropouts.
    I only really noticed this today, and on the driveside dropout, there is some sign of the bolt thread digging into the dropout.

So I checked out the Paul website and came across these about 3/4 of the way down:
    http://www.paulcomp.com/hubparts.html
    Looks like the same thing but with a longer sleeve on the washer, meaning I may be able to run the tensioner and still get enough surface area in the dropout.

Anyone got any experience with this?

Yo.
    I do.

You're right. The sleeves on the silver (brass?) dropouts are considerbly longer than the brass ones.

In my case, though, I had to go the other way; my track ends were too thin, and even with the tuggnut installed, the sleeves were too long and would butt up against the hub before I got the bolts tightened down all the way. I suppose I could've ground the sleeves down, but I actually had a set of the short-sleeved one lying around, swapped them out, and there was enough protruding past the face of the tensioner to adequately support the bolt.

As long as your dropouts are thick enough, or you're willing to mod the washer a little, you should be good to go.
    Quote Originally Posted by JonathanGennick View Post
    I am a poser. But forums.poser.com doesn't seem to exist, so I come here instead.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Why not just use two chain tugs for super tweaking?

mtbr member
    paul hubs dont need tensioners.
    Ride & Smile

mtbr member
    Was just gonna say, no need for tensioners with a stout bolt-on rear hub. It's the reason why Phil Wood hubs come with the large dome washers. I would assume Paul does the same with a larger washer, the brass ones being softer I recall for better clamping force.
    Creative Producer, Will of the Sun, Platform Pedal Shootout 1M+ views WoS

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I have tried with the standard setup without the Tuggnut, but unfortunately I'm still getting the hub to move in the dropout.
    Perhaps I'm going a little too easy on the torque on the bolts but don't feel like I should be going any tighter.

Here are some photos for clarification on the setup.
    The photo's show the dropout without the tensioner installed, and you can see where the gold washer is sitting in the dropout. With the Tuggnut installed, there isn't much surface area at all.

Slow Eddie: Thanks for the input. I think in my case I will need those longer washers.

mijome07: I only really need the Tuggnut on the driveside. And getting a second one for the non-driveside won't really help the original problem
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tensioner for Paul WORD hub in horizontal frame-somadropout1.jpg  

Tensioner for Paul WORD hub in horizontal frame-somadropout2.jpg  

All 26.5" all the time!
    You need a taller hat washer. I machined a few several years ago. I'll try to get pics up soon.

mtbr member
    I would typically say to be easy on bolts (stem handlebar etc.) but the hub bolts are a place I say TORQUE THE HELL OUT OF IT till it dont slip. Oh, and those brass washers have teeth on them to grip the horizontal end faces? They need 'em.
    Creative Producer, Will of the Sun, Platform Pedal Shootout 1M+ views WoS

All 26.5" all the time!
    Yep, this is what you need.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Yeah sweet, they look like the right ones, will have to see if I can get them from the Aus distributor.

Thanks for the clarification guys!

is buachail foighneach me
    Quote Originally Posted by illnacord
    I would typically say to be easy on bolts (stem handlebar etc.) but the hub bolts are a place I say TORQUE THE HELL OUT OF IT till it dont slip. Oh, and those brass washers have teeth on them to grip the horizontal end faces? They need 'em.

If the guy wants to run a tugnut, let him run a tugnut. But I agree with you. I have a set of the hubs in question,with the washers in question, and they've never slipped. Bolt on and solid axle hubs can be reefed on quite a bit without worry of stripping anything.

Members who have read this thread: 1