Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    try driving your car less
    Reputation: jh_on_the_cape's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,099

    tektro mini-V brakes?

    sorta SS related. the brake forum should be the 'disc brake' forum, so I thought i would ask here because there is a discussion about cross bikes.

    how do the tektro mini-V brakes work? well? they are for BMX, i think. if you have them, how big of a tire can you use?
    i am looking for something non-canti to be pulled by road levers on a cross bike.
    it's these or 'travel agent' adaptors... or...
    i guess cantis.
    Only boring people get bored.

  2. #2
    Welsh Dave
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    254
    Re. Tektro Mini Vs:

    I used them on my CX-er with 105 shifters and they worked great, despite being dirt-cheap. Initially, I had Avid Shortys, but they were awful - almost no stopping power. Very scary when I commuted the bike in the rain & heavy traffic. I have a feeling this might have been the fault of the spacing of the canti bosses, rather than the Avid cantis themselves (it's a long story involving Cdale ).

    Anyway, the Tektro mini Vs also worked great when I changed to Campy Ergos.

    I was using Ritchey 32c tyres with mudguards (fenders) for comuting & there was plenty of space under the brake wire. Not enough space for a 29er tyre, but then it's a cross bike...

    Cheers,

    DM.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: schnapmaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    317

    I use them with road v-brake levers

    I use a set on my cross bike with the diacompe V-brake road levers. I didn't know you could use them with regular road brake levers. You are a little limited with the heighth of the tire, but I run 35 cm with no problem. They are light and cheap and easy to set up.

  4. #4
    try driving your car less
    Reputation: jh_on_the_cape's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,099
    Quote Originally Posted by schnapmaster
    I use a set on my cross bike with the diacompe V-brake road levers. I didn't know you could use them with regular road brake levers. You are a little limited with the heighth of the tire, but I run 35 cm with no problem. They are light and cheap and easy to set up.

    sooo... do they work with regular road levers or not?
    i looked around with google and also got conflicting responses.
    most said they work, but it's finicky and your rims have to be straight. my rims are never straight on the cross bike.
    Only boring people get bored.

  5. #5
    Welsh Dave
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    254

    Yeah, but set them up close

    Yeah, like I said, they worked for me with both S and Campy levers. Not as well as Vs with MTB levers, but very much better than with cantis on that bike.

    But, as the lever doesn't pull so much cable, the pads need to be close to the rim (Hence the need for straight rims).

    It's a shame that Magura dropped the drop-lever version of their hydro rim brake.

    WD

    Quote Originally Posted by jh_on_the_cape
    sooo... do they work with regular road levers or not?
    i looked around with google and also got conflicting responses.
    most said they work, but it's finicky and your rims have to be straight. my rims are never straight on the cross bike.

  6. #6
    Recovering couch patato
    Reputation: Cloxxki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    14,017
    I have some mini'V's. Though I should stock when I could get them. They felt too mushy for me with road levers. I hated the travel agents. Dia Compe V lever with full V-brakes is so much better.

  7. #7
    Welsh Dave
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    254
    I agree, but you lose the gearshifters with Dia Compe's levers (Not sure if that's important in this SS forum )

    To return to the original question: If you're running a singlespeed & don't need integrated brake levers/ shifters, then forget the mini Vs & go with Cloxxki's suggestion.

    DM


    Quote Originally Posted by Cloxxki
    I have some mini'V's. Though I should stock when I could get them. They felt too mushy for me with road levers. I hated the travel agents. Dia Compe V lever with full V-brakes is so much better.

  8. #8
    Recovering couch patato
    Reputation: Cloxxki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    14,017
    I'm actually a double spy of the pro-gear movement. I already have the cheap thumbshifters ready to stick on which-ever bike in which-ever place, for the day I'll have to represent the light side. My grandpa told me about downtube and barend shifters. So crazy, they just might work! For now : gears schmears.

  9. #9
    Welsh Dave
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    254

    Gear Shifters?!

    I'm shocked that a SS moderator would discuss gear-shifters on this forum!

    Actually, my stash of spare parts includes 2 nice pairs of LX & XT thumbies and also 1 set each of Campy down-tube and bar-end shifters.

    But, for now, I'm sticking with The Dark Side.

    Your Granndpa must be younger than mine - He rode a fixie to work. I don't think the parallelogram derailleur had been invented.

    DM.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cloxxki
    I'm actually a double spy of the pro-gear movement. I already have the cheap thumbshifters ready to stick on which-ever bike in which-ever place, for the day I'll have to represent the light side. My grandpa told me about downtube and barend shifters. So crazy, they just might work! For now : gears schmears.

Similar Threads

  1. What are the BEST brakes on EARTH?!
    By norwoosg in forum Brake Time
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 02-24-2005, 10:38 PM
  2. Disc...or V's...
    By BThor in forum Singlespeed
    Replies: 54
    Last Post: 01-20-2005, 04:47 PM
  3. Formula ORO brakes
    By Brakemeister in forum Brake Time
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 01-18-2005, 09:34 AM
  4. choosing disk brakes help?
    By psycho-squirrel in forum Brake Time
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-05-2004, 10:26 PM
  5. Ahoy! V-brake holdouts!
    By Padre in forum Singlespeed
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 03-23-2004, 10:06 AM

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.