Teflon tape on wedge-type EBB?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Teflon tape on wedge-type EBB?

Does this work? Do you put the tape around the EBB+wedge as a unit, or wrap them separately?

The EBB on my 07 Rig has an unstoppable creak. I've torn the whole thing apart and slathered everything with anti-seize, but it still creak-creaks away.

Anyone recommend another option? Has anyone used the Carver EBB in a Rig?
    http://www.bikemannetwork.com/biking/p/BMAN-EBB

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Use Bushnell, I have a lot of friends use them. Also you can try using anti-seized in the around the EBB.
    Mike

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    if it;s creaking that hard and the creaking does not change with or without grease are you sure that it's the EBB and not your BB or saddle or headset or stem?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Might be the BB. I'm pretty sure it's not the seat post or stem as I can make it creak by standing next to the bike, holding the top tube with my hand, and standing on a pedal. But I lubed up the seatpost, seat rail, stem, skewers, rear cog, chainring bolts, etc. I don't have a BB tool; guess it's time to get one.

Thanks for the response.

trail hunter
    Apr 2008

I have the same rig and,

experience some creaking. About once a month I take apart the whole system. First remove the BB from the eccentric, then remove the eccentric from the frame. take the wedge off the eccentric, clean all surfaces and the BB shell on the frame. Apply anti sieze and reassemble. It is easy to do and takes no time at all.

The creaking stays away for several weeks depending on a couple of things.

1. How muddy you get the bike
    2. How often you tension the chain. I have found that the more you tension the chain, the sooner it creaks. Obviously clean around the BB before tensioning it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    When the BB is tightend in the EBB that does not have to be removed anymore till sideplay arrives (imho). I am pretty sure that a big tighter BB will solve a lot.

trail hunter
    Apr 2008

true

I just like to take my white industries bb out of the eccentric and feel it and touch it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I just like to take my white industries bb out of the eccentric and feel it and touch it.

I have the same with my HOPE hubs and spicer TI cogs...

It's a hard life....

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

It was the BB

Heh heh. Heh heh. You said touch it.

Anyways, I borrowed a friend's BB tool, pulled the BB, cleaned it, greased the contact points, applied teflon tape to the threads on the BB cups, re-installed it, and waa laa, creaking go byebye.

Thanks for the advice.

Members who have read this thread: 0