Taking the SS plunge- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2006

Taking the SS plunge

Well I pulled the trigger on a 06 Unit frame and fork. I have all the parts I need and will now be starting the build process. Hopefully I will get to test it on Friday or Saturday. I have had SS town bikes in the past which I would take on minor flat offroad rides but this is my first dedicated, built from scratch singletrack machine. I am pumped! If anyone cares I will bump this after my first ride and tell how much it ruled!

Great site by the way. I'm happy it was recommended

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I am building mine to out of an old Rocky Mountain Hammer 1999 (26lbs stock) ( I am hoping for 22lbs SS) !

It will be running 32x18 to start ( i also have 14t-16t-21t-24t cogs that would work) , The fork on mine is broke so its rigid now (fork locked) I will try to keep you posted ! (I just need 2 or 3 cassette spacer to be able to complete my homade kit (out of old cassette)

mtbr member
    Let me know when you get that bike and we'll head out for a rip.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Well I got it together and took it for a burn. I am loving it! Found myself an oldschool Roox 29 downhill. Great handle bar as it bends back towards me giving plenty of touque.
    I should have gotten larger tires as the 2.1 aren't sucking up the bumps liked I had hoped. Next week I might change them.
    Great bike overall and I can't wait to ride it some more. Gotta work for the next week then I will post some pics. Happy ridding everyone

Members who have read this thread: 0