Thread: t.e.t. frames

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

t.e.t. frames

anyone have tom build a frame ?Any pics

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I got this one . . . .

Tom has built two frames for me over the last six months. I started with a single-speed and liked it so much, I had him build me a gearie.

My single speed is nothing fancy. Zona tubing, track dropouts, V brakes. He built me a fork at the same time and painted it to match the frame. The bike weighs 21 pounds with the parts from a Bianchi Buss. Light and smooth. Tom takes a lot into consideration when building your frame. Your weight, riding style, measurements, what fork you plan to run (he build the steel fork to match the RS Duke I run some of the time, assuming a 20% sag factor). I had Tom paint this frame. His color choices in paint are almost unlimited.

My geared bike is pretty much exactly the same, except for cable guides, dropouts, and derailur hanger in the back. I had this frame powder coated for durability. I was worried about the paint finish not being tough enough, but it had held up pretty good on the SS so far. The powder coat is definately tougher and the upcost was not that much.

Tom delivers your frame pretty close to when he says he will. It is nothing like the horror stories I have heard about others. It took more time at the powder coaters than expected (not Tom's fault), but it was worth it in the end. These bikes are the smoothest bikes I have ever ridden off road and they are not my first steel bikes and not even my first Columbus tubes bikes.

He may make some suggestions that seem wrong, like he suggested a 9 CM heattube for a 18 frame. I thought this would be way too small and went back and forth about it with him. I decided he knows his stuff and if it was too low, I could run a spacer or two and maybe a stem with a 5 degree rise. It turns out I need one 1 CM spacer and I run a zero degree stem and everything feels good.

I have no pics - - no digital camera. Sorry. Maybe one day soon.

Good luck and don't hesistate to email Tom for more information.

James in Delaware.

Jackass
    Jan 2004

I'm working with him now...

He is going to build me an 853 EBB rig to replace my broken Two Circles.

Gave him all the info and chatted with him, just waiting on the drawing
    now.

He's a great guy to work with so far - takes his time, easy to deal with.
    He even offered to attempt a repair on my 2 Circles when he knew he
    pretty much had a whole frame sold.

It'll be here at the end of next month, hopefully.

ZB
    No hairSShirts.

mtbr member

I just orderd one.

EBB disk specific w/ 105 mm fork. The price was right, he has been around since the begining and his reputation is very good. He was quick to send me the specs that I had requested. Cant wait to get her built up. I should get it at the end of April. Now the only problem is choosing a color and wether or not I should have him build a rigid fork to go with it. Get the fork? I was thinking about this color...
    Attached Images Attached Images