the los
    Whiskey is my yoga.

dongerparty.com

a legend in his own mind

Way cool!

Quote Originally Posted by sslos
    Go here-

the los
    Their stuff rocks. Glad to see them back.
    "I think this is the worst thing you've ever done Homer."
    "Oh Marge you say that so much it has no meaning."

F@CK da dumb

spam I am

yeah, swobo made some cool duds, but why do they need my email? They just lost some cool points. Are they the same company or someone who bought the logo? So, I need to give them my email to find out?

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by joyride1x1
    yeah, swobo made some cool duds, but why do they need my email? They just lost some cool points. Are they the same company or someone who bought the logo? So, I need to give them my email to find out?

Dude, there's nothing to see... they will send you an e-mail when the store opens...

ali'i hua
    text:

5 years ago we sent a letter to the industry and friends explaining that we had to close our doors, and close our doors we did. As painful as that decision was, it was the right thing to do at the time.

Since that time, we've been on barefoot walkabout, communing with small forest creatures, helping old ladies cross the street, planting indigenous seeds, talking story with the elders, making one plus one equal three (business tough guy talk), all the while having had nothing to do with Yoga. As far as we're concerned... downward dog on your own time and dime.

But time moves on, and things happen, and new happenings are now a good thing. To make a long story short..... we're now back (insert fist pump here).

Is it the same? Hell if we know...are you the same? Let's just say that sand passes through an hourglass over here, just as it has over in your neck of the woods. But as much as things change, so much is worth keeping the same. We'll just leave
    it at that.

Swobostore.com is our online concept shop where you'll be able to find everything that we've been working on. It will be here before it's anywhere else. Every Swobo product made
    will be at your finger tips 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Go nuts.

Welcome back home if you've been walking the Earth like
    Kane in our absence. Glad to meet you if you're new to this commune of free thinkers.

and we'll also keep you posted on our re-launch.
    Radio Free Swobo is back on the air....almost.
    It's good to be back.
    Thanks.

Sincerely,

FTM
    Quote Originally Posted by joyride1x1
    Are they the same company or someone who bought the logo?
    Heard rumors that Santa Cruz bought them. I just checked the domain name whois and santacruzbicycles.com is the email address for Administrative and Technical contact. The mailing address is in Sausolito and not Santa Cruz so... who knows.

mtbr member
    Hmmmmm, gotta love wool.

Baaaaa-Baaaa!

What's that Dolly?

Gotta go take care of the missus...

keep the shiny side up!
    owned by santa cruz now.

mtbr member
    I liked the whole ethos of Swobo, but the quality wasn't there. Thankfully, wool has got 1000% better since their demise, so I'm looking forward to good things.

Failing that, I have 4 reams of ultrafine NZ merino sitting in my office that's going to be turned into jerseys before the end of the year....
    No longer member of the bike industry nor society, so don't hassle me.

paintbucket
    Wool is measured in reams?
    When the going gets weird its bedtime.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

wool? sorry to burst your bubbles!

Perhaps you should watch some of this before every one gets all excited about wool.
    There is some kind of Kharma in everything we do!

http://www.petatv.com/tvpopup/video....=wm&speed=_med

If the player does not work try this - http://www.petatv.com
    and hit the tv links.

Don't get me wrong, I own and have owned much swobo gear. But I have become more aware of what and how we consume.

Enjoy.
    I was fast once, but then what fast was changed...

fc
    head minion Administrator
    Hey, I'm excited! All my Swobo stuff is ruined by now after 5 years of abuse. I just didn't have the discipline to take care of wool.

Here's my bud Oliver though who only took out his woolie on special occasions. The shorts are swobo too.

Maybe we can make some more swobo-mtbr stuff.

Anyone else have old Swobo clothing pics?

fc
    Attached Images Attached Images

"Mr. Britannica"
    Quote Originally Posted by sslos
    Go here-

the los

lotsa wool out there now... Kucharik never stopped, WoolyWarm/Rivendell, Woolistic/Vintage Velos for high end repros, Boure, Canari, Zoic, even Nashbar has wool clothing now

bike geek
    Quote Originally Posted by FTM
    Heard rumors that Santa Cruz bought them. I just checked the domain name whois and santacruzbicycles.com is the email address for Administrative and Technical contact. The mailing address is in Sausolito and not Santa Cruz so... who knows.
    From Wooglin on the 29er board, more info here.

Cold. Blue. Steel.

What the Fcuk??!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by notsofastanymore
    Perhaps you should watch some of this before every one gets all excited about wool.

and hit the tv links.

Don't get me wrong, I own and have owned much swobo gear. But I have become more aware of what and how we consume.

Enjoy.
    Our world really, really sucks sometimes. How can humans possibly perform such inhumane acts on living, feeling creatures? All for fukking money!!!
    I think wool is a great natural fiber, and didn't think sheep were hurt by the process. I couldn't even make it to the end of the video- that was so upsetting. I am already a vegitarian for multiple reasons, I never shop at MalWart and I try to support clothing companies like Patagonia and Smart Wool. But sh!t, we are running out of choices in this god-forsaken world of cruelty driven greed. What are we to do? Any ideas? (and yeah, it is worth hijacking this thread for something as important as this issue- besides, it's on topic)
    Spinning and Grinning...

err, 27.5+
    Quote Originally Posted by francois

Anyone else have old Swobo clothing pics?

fc
    My swobo baggies are still hanging tough after years of abuse. I would gladly pick up another couple of pairs if they start reproducing them. Count me stoked to hear they are comming back

Billy Cross last year
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by AL29er; 05-18-2005 at 12:31 PM.

6x7=Dont Panic!
    Feel free to sympathize, but I've still got no problem eating meat or purchasing wool. I dont respect an organization full of hypocrites and liars.
    "Even if animal research resulted in a cure for AIDS, we'd be against it." Ingrid Newkirk, President and Co-Founder of PETA
    Did you know PETA is using your contributions for a campaign to boycott the March of Dimes, the Pediatric AIDS Foundation, and the Susan G Komen Breast Cancer Foundation (Race for the Cure). Why? Because these charities may use animals in their medical research.
    If you have some time, check out http://www.petakillsanimals.com/
    Herro prease

Don't be a sheep
    Sep 2004
    Very cool, I agree 100%. Peta makes me sick.
    "Do not touch the trim"

locked - time out

and hit the tv links.

Enjoy.
    Regardless of one's stand on PETA - that is pretty f*cked up, and makes a pretty compelling argument for being an educated consumer. I would never have guessed.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    At the risk of turning this thread too political and w'o trying to be too cynical as well, one could argue that everything is done for money (money is merely the marker of exchange value that humans use to more easily communicate their wants and needs) and far worse things are done to plants and animals in the world by all the inhabitants in it -plant and animal. The competition for resources and all. Even the most green and enviro-friendly companies and people arguably cause 'harm' in the sense I think you're suggesting.

That said, sustainabilty in a more 'humane' form is a good thing if it can be done effectively and with good intentions. Smartwool and Icebreaker have signed major deals with NZ wool farmers that have and will end the mulesing practice (http://au.biz.yahoo.com/050413/30/42yg.html) that PETA themselves have applauded (http://www.savethesheep.com/NewsItem...d=6280&pf=true). It seems that NZ is less active in this practice than the Aussies. So here we public sentiment that's driven this to where mulesing may become rare. A good thing I'd say.

Wool - Merino in particular is a terrific material for apparel both active and fashion. It can be raised and manufactured sustainably, worn practically forever -when properly cared for- and when you're 'done' with it you can dispose of it and it's more easily absorbed into the environment certainly when compared to your average petrochemically created fiber.

I'm a huge fan of wool (and no fan of PETA), but also have plenty of synthetics too. As for SWOBO and their return: Terrific! It seems Tim is back at the helm ("Commander-In-Chief") and that should keep it real. He's also said that he'll be sourcing Merino from NZ too through MAPP(http://www.mapp.co.nz/renewable.html). This is all good stuff. So I say accentuate the positive and act accordingly with logic, understanding and always with compassion & consideration -however you define those personally.

my $.02
    ssRR

-oh and there's an interview with CINC from Bikemag here:
    (http://bikemag.com/news/newsarchive/051805_swobo/)

hands up who wants to die
    I've maintained a vegan diet for over a decade and am a supporter of PETA, though I do have some wool clothes. However, animal rights is only one facet of my social/political beliefs. There are complicated issues surrounding nearly every choice we make as a consumerf.

In a nutshell:
    wool: animal cruelty; environmental devastation due to inflated livestock populations, such as erosion and water pollution.

poly & synthetics: continued dependence on fossil fuels and more bad news for the environment after it's discarded.

cotton: major pollution from pesticides and possibly GMO (I personally don't care about GMO issues too much).

And with most clothing sold in the US today: A good chance it was made in China or other countries that have no laws protecting labor.

Personally, I would rather wear a wool jersey that was produced in NZ from a well-treated sheep than a poly jersey sewn by an unpaid prisoner in China who was jailed because he was gay or a member of a banned religion.

It's definitely a tough landscape for those of us who prefer to spend our $$$ in accordance with our beliefs.

-rob in NY

Don't be a sheep
    Sep 2004
    I love people like you with their selective causes. Aluminum production is one of the most envronmentally devastating industrial processes in the world (do some research) but saying your anti-aluminum isn't gonna get you play from the hippie chicks down at the corner coffee house-poetry reading. You'd also have to give up that cool bike of yours, and I doubt that would add to your feeling of superiority that your little vegan/Peta thing provides.
    "Do not touch the trim"

FTM
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivet
    I love people like you with their selective causes. Aluminum production is one of the most envronmentally devastating industrial processes in the world (do some research) but saying your anti-aluminum isn't gonna get you play from the hippie chicks down at the corner coffee house-poetry reading. You'd also have to give up that cool bike of yours, and I doubt that would add to your feeling of superiority that your little vegan/Peta thing provides.
    I read no condecention in his post. You seem to be the one putting people down based on their beliefs. Does that makes you feel superior?

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

"hypocrites and liars"

[QUOTE=TheRedMantra]Feel free to sympathize, but I've still got no problem eating meat or purchasing wool. I dont respect an organization full of hypocrites and liars.

So if I understand what you are saying it is okay to support an organization of "hypocrites and liars" as long as it benefits you?
    You choose to demonize PETA and not the corporations that destroy, torture and pollute in the name of profit?
    I don't understand.

Art is Resistance

Aren't you just trying to justify your own selfishness here? That's what it sounds like. We all make a footprint on this planet, but just because one thing is bad, doesn't mean you should go out, get an H2 and eat all the meat you can.
    I try to do things that aren't too damaging. Yeah, i do have a couple aluminum bikes. I also fly on the occasional airplane. I am not some careless person, though, and hopefully i am defined as more than just a consumer.

fc
    head minion Administrator
    This thread has been hijacked!

Sooo sad. I'm subscribed to the thread too and that's why it's a pain on my side.

Shame on the the first person who mention peta and all that replied. We have the political board for that. Now take this outside before this becomes a full-on war. Did I mention my views on gun control??

francois

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Unintended hijacking.

[QUOTE=francois]This thread has been hijacked!

Sooo sad. I'm subscribed to the thread too and that's why it's a pain on my side.

Shame on the the first person who mention peta and all that replied. We have the political board for that. Now take this outside before this becomes a full-on war. Did I mention my views on gun control??

I apologize for hijacking the thread.
    I must say I appreciate the open minds.
    No more from me on wool.

those are Rollercams...
    I'm hoping they make some bigger sizes for us older,girthier types

mtbr member
    Very cool, I agree 100%. Peta makes me sick.
    Yep. Scaring little kids is real impressive.

J_T
    Pale-ale-ontologist
    Quote Originally Posted by francois
    This thread has been hijacked!

francois
    Did sombody mention gun control?