Swinging Dropout Slippage- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Swinging Dropout Slippage

I have a Ventana El Comandante with some beautiful swing dropouts that make getting the right chain tension super easy and precise.

I am experiencing some slippage, despite torquing the two main bolts on each side to the proper specs, as well as the bolt the dropouts pivot on.

Each side has a screw to adjust tension and a locknut to keep it put.

I do hear some "creaking," which I believe is being caused by the slight overall slippage I experience on each ride.

Has anyone had this problem with swinging and/or sliding dropouts? Any suggestions on how to eliminate this problem?

SPP
    Last edited by SlowPokePete; 10-25-2012 at 04:59 PM.
    Rigid.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    That sucks you're having issues. Do the bolts have those "grip washers"? That's what I've got on my sliders and I've got zero issues. Maybe a call to Ventana is in order.

mtbr member
    LBS thinks maybe some carbon paste between the dropouts and the frame might help with the noise and maybe the slippage.

Gonna take 'em apart tonight and give that a try.

If that doesn't work, I'll definitely give Ventana a ring.

SPP
    Rigid.

mtbr member
    Unless the adjustment screws are backing out, I don't see how it is possible for them to slip.

The only other possibility that I can think of...Do you have the washers under the socket head cap screws?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Swinging Dropout Slippage-ventana-sliders.jpg  

I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

mtbr member
    Is it possible for the dropout to move backwards? Obviously the adjustment screw prevents any forward movement, but maybe braking forces could force the axle rearward or something (I obviously know very little about braking forces...)

nothing to see here
    Well when braking the whole wheel wants to stay attached to the ground but the bike and rider wants to keep going forward, so I'd say there is a significant force in action there.
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldHouseMan View Post
    Unless the adjustment screws are backing out, I don't see how it is possible for them to slip.

The only other possibility that I can think of...Do you have the washers under the socket head cap screws?
    I do not see how the adjustment screws could be backing out.

Yes, there are washers under the other screws.

Still investigating ... didn't get the chance to work on the bike last night, so it will have to wait for the weekend.

SPP
    Rigid.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rob1035 View Post
    Is it possible for the dropout to move backwards? Obviously the adjustment screw prevents any forward movement, but maybe braking forces could force the axle rearward or something (I obviously know very little about braking forces...)
    Yeah but backward movement would tighten the chain.

SPP
    Rigid.

mtbr member
    How tight is your skewer. In one of my singlespeeds this was the problem. The DT Swiss RWS quick release helped a lot.
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SS
    RM Suzi Q 90 RSL
    KHS Team 29
    S-Works Roubaix
    KHS CX 550 cyclocross

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowPokePete View Post
    Yeah but backward movement would tighten the chain.

SPP
    Not necessarily. If only the brake side slips backwards, it would actually loosen the chain. I know On One tried to remedy this by putting the disc tabs in between the chain and seat stays. Personally, I've not had problems with this on my paragon sliders, but I see how it could be an issue. I still prefer EBB's, although that has caused other problems for users.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by serious View Post
    How tight is your skewer. In one of my singlespeeds this was the problem. The DT Swiss RWS quick release helped a lot.
    I have a king SS hub with funbolts, which clamp down pretty tight. I did try loosening them up a bit, to see if the wheel's position would change, but it didn't.

Here's what i did do ... I tightened the adjusting screws a minimal amount, without loosening the main bolts, and was surprised to see the chain tighten slightly. So somehow, even though the locknuts remain tight, the adjusting screws are still somehow backing out slightly.

SPP
    Rigid.

nothing to see here
    Can I assume that all the bolts (except the small adjusters and lock nuts) have had their respective threads greased?

My Kona Unit had sliders with similar adjusting bolts. The lock nuts were 8mm and you could tighten them with a small spanner. I used to adjust everything, tighten the main bolts and then re-tighten the lock nuts, just to put a bit more tension on them. Those lock nuts in that picture look like they are the "thumb" type. Maybe you could replace those with proper nuts?
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

mtbr member
    Did you get this sorted out?
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldHouseMan View Post
    Did you get this sorted out?
    Yes.

SPP
    Rigid.

Members who have read this thread: 1