Swap freehub onto new wheelset?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2013

Swap freehub onto new wheelset?

Hello all,

I've ordered a new wheelset: Blunt 35 29er rims on XT hubs, 9QR front/135QR rear with a 9/10 speed Shimano freehub body. I'm planning to use the wheels on a 2012 Karate Monkey set up SS.

Here's my question. I'm wondering if I can take the single speed freehub body off my old rear wheel, a 2011 Bontrager RXL rim laced to a Bontrager hub (also 135QR), and put that shorter freehub body on the new wheelset.

If I can swap the ss freehub body off the old Bontrager rear hub and onto the new XT hub, I'm hoping I can also do the reverse--put the new Shimano freehub body onto the Bontrager rear wheel and then use that wheel on a geared bike with a 135 QR rear.

I looked up "remove freehub body" and got a sense of how to do it, but I wasn't sure if I should anticipate any other issues when trying to swap SS and 9/10 speed freehub bodies between Shimano and Bontrager hubs. Would I need to deal with stuff like redishing? Thanks in advance for your help.

mtbr member
    No, you can't.

Even if they were compatible (which they likely aren't) the narrower freehub body would leave a bunch of axle exposed. The benefit of having a short SS freehub body is that it allows wider hub flange spacing. The hub flanges on your XT hub are fixed, so you wouldn't get any benefit from the narrower freehub body except for saving a few cents on spacers.
    Yeah I only carry cans cause I'm a weight weenie.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Ah, I see. Thanks. Sounds like I'd be better off putting more spacers around the cog on the new wider freehub body.

One quick follow-up question. If I'd like to make use of the old RXL rear wheel on my geared bike, it sounds like I'll need to shop for a Bontrager-compatible 10-speed freehub body. Does that sound right?

Thanks again.

mtbr member
    Yes, but you're looking at $ and time that could go towards a new wheel. Personally, the hassle of swapping freehubs isn't worth it unless they are designed to be swapped easily (DT Swiss/cartridge bearings).
    "a hundred travel books isn't worth one real trip"

mtbr member
    I don't think you would be able to swap it - you'd still have the width mismatch. I have 10 speed and singlespeed hubs from the same manufacturer and the freehub body on the 10 speed hubs is probably 50% wider than the singlespeed one.

Not all bontrager hubs are created equal either - some use DT swiss internals, some use a more standard pawl system for the driver. Maybe you can find a single speeder who wants to trade a 10 speed wheel for a dishless one.
    Yeah I only carry cans cause I'm a weight weenie.