Swap Cog Debate- Mtbr.com

Thread: Swap Cog Debate

mtbr member

Swap Cog Debate

Today I was out mashing the pedals on some steep uphill. Made me wish for a bit that I had geared it for the terrain. I'm running 2:1 gearing on a 26" wheel. Anyway, I got to thinking about 1 ****ing Gear, One Speed or Die type attitudes.
    Here's my question:
    Most of us think a SS is the only gear needed on nearly all terrain (otherwise we'd be riding the geared rigs). So if I was the type that might swap gears for differen terrain.... uh... aren't I proving that one gear isn't enough? That one doesn't work everywhere?
    Course the ever clever friend riding w/ me added that even having multiple SS bikes... oh let's say Phil Woods by the dozen (no names mentioned) might prove this point as well. It's not a debate of bike intention: going to get groceries vs singletrack.
    Of you swap gears are you proving that 1FG isn't enough?
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

Category Winner

Sure, I will chime in

I swap gears according to where I am riding. Locally the trails are just rolling and I will run a 2:1 ratio, but when I go to the mtns it's another story. I will use anything from a 17-21 with a 34 ring depending on what I am doing while I am there. I gear higher for races and much lower if I am throwing on a set of 2.6 DH tires and going for an epic.
    I didn't start SS'ing because I thought that one gear would do it all. I did it for all those simple/pure/etc reasons you can find all over this board. I chose a cassette hub and EBB for easy changes so I wouldn't think twice about swapping it out for a ride. I do know some people who choose to ride one gear, but they don't mind it because they stay in their locale (because they already have some of the best riding in the country).
    Other than that, I am not too worried about what someone thinks about my ability to stay on the path of "oneness". I don't swap gears mid-ride or mid-race (I did swap my gear after one lap of a 24 hour race, but I had never seen the course before and I guessed way wrong). I kinda say to each his own. If you got a flip-flop hub by all means flip it and flop it. You won't bother me. If I was in an endurance race with a SS class and someone was swapping gears to suit different parts of the course I might be a little upset I guess.
    Last edited by teamdicky; 10-01-2005 at 04:32 AM.
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

I get paid 3 every time I post on MTBR.

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    Teamdicky is a wise man. He saved me from typing 'zackly how I feel.
    "Keep your burgers lean and your tires fat." -h.d. | ssoft | flickr

mtbr member

One gear works everywhere for me

As long as it's downhill. I take several factors into account, whether the ride should be a hard ride or a recovery ride, the terrain, the weather, and the distance.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    In the last five years my "SS" has been a 3x1, 2x2, 2x3, and now is a 1x1. Experimenting is half the fun. As long as you don't have shifters and deraileurs, you can only use one gear at a time, so its a SS. Run what you like and don't lose sleep over whether you are a member of the club. In fact, better to do as Groucho Marx said "I wouldn't want to belong to any club that would have me as a member."

mtbr member
    Thanks for the thoughts on this issue.
    A bit of clarification: I don't care if you run one gear for each day of the week or a geared 9" rig, just glad you are riding. On the SS I've only run 2:1 since the start. Some trails it's great, some it's not- so be it.
    I was only proposing the question as a debate of what might lay at the heart of SSing. If one gear is enough, then changing it out per trail seems at odds w/ such an intent.
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

mtbr member
    "On the SS I've only run 2:1 since the start. Some trails it's great, some it's not- so be it."- yup.

Members who have read this thread: 0