Suspension And Wheelset Help- Mtbr.com
    Looking to Start Racing

Suspension And Wheelset Help

I know alot of you like the whole rigid thing, and all the power to ya. But suspension is for me, and it's time for me to upgrade.

I just converted my 2005 Trek 4300 last weekend, (pics to come) and I right away noticed the weight savings (or it was all in my head, whatever) So now that I am coming into "abit" of money, I want to get a better fork. The junk RST on there is well....junk. I have abit of money to play with, but not enough for a Fox (which I would LOVE to have) but I still want good quality that I won't have to upgrade next year, or even the year after that. I was thinking of the following:

Rock Shox SID Race (can't beat 2.81lbs, or the nice 80mm travel)
    Rock Shox Reba Race (100mm might be abit much)
    Marzocchi MX Comp 85 (Decent Price, and the right amount of Travel)

What are peoples thoughts on these for an SS. I love how the bike handles now, so the Reba might be out (but nothing is impossible).

Also, my next upgrade will be a decent wheelset. Unfortunetly I won't be able to drop a large amount of coin on this purchase like I will on the fork. So I was looking at the Mavic Crossland Disc wheelset, or the Mavic CrossRide Disc wheelset. My dream wheelset is the Crossmax SL, but as I am putting most of my money into a fork, the Crosslands look nice.

Any suggestions on both Fork and Wheelset would be appretiated. I have about $800 canadian to spend, so when making suggestions, keep that in mind.

Thanks in advance.
    Evolve or Die

mtbr member
    For the fork I'd go with the Marzocchi or the Reba but definately not the sid - they are absolute noodly messes on the downhill. My 130 lb girlfriend didn't realize this until I swapped an old Marzocchi Z2 on her singlespeed then she said "michael I never want to use that sid again!" Seriously - they are terrible.
    I'd go Reba - most of singlespeed climbing is standing up so even if the fork choppers the front end a bit it won't be that noticable on the climbs...but you'll love the downs - just set it up with alot of sag and you'll fly on the downhills.

I am not a big fan of proprietary designs so the mavic complete wheelsets are a waste of $$ (to me anyway) . If cash is an issue go with some surly hubs laced with 2.0/1.8/2.0 spokes on a mavic 517 rim. If you want a better hub go with the new hope single speed hubs - I got mine on ebay for $188 US - these get rave reviews and Hope make great things.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I am pretty sure that all the Rebas can be adjusted to 85 mm. You have to open up the fork to do it, so it may be something you would want to have a shop do. The Reba is a great fork for the money.

I would also suggest going with a dedicated SS wheelset if you are getting a new one. This will give you a stiffer, stronger wheel.

mtbr member
    I have been really happy with my Hope wheels. Cant really beat the price for performance. But for singlespeed, the ENO really is amazing. Their freewheel is really nice too.

R I D E S T E E L
    I may have some things you'd be interested in, send a PM if you'd like more info.

In a nutshell, I think a custom wheelset is the way to go. It's too easy to trash wheels mtn. biking, so a handbuilt wheel will be as strong and easy to replace a spoke / rim on.

As for forks, I think you're on track with your choices. I fork with lockout is a must for SS. Reba is nice, the Marzocchi Marathon Race is really pretty light, also a nice choice.

mtbr member

I like the MX and the Mavic

I have a Marzocchi MX Comp pro 100 on my ss and I love it for the lockout while climbing.

I like mavic wheels, but I am hopelessly prejudice toward mavic. I have crossmax, deemax and crosslands. My ss has a set of Kings I had built up just because I could. I know a freerider that uses the crosslands and loves them - two seasons on them and no issues, 200+ pounds. But he is also a very good bike mechanic.

Rick
    "Oh, and how dare you accuse me of lying, drinking, getting high" DessertRagged

Looking to Start Racing
    Well I am hearing alot about lockouts. Unfortunetly, a fork with lockout is gunna be to much (unless I forgo the wheelset) I ment it when I said I have ABIT of money. Just some spare change left over from a car loan. That said, I'll be looking online for said fork/wheels. I would shop my LBS, but they are just so darned price crazy I can't even fathom it.

I must admit I have loved the Reba, but for around the same price in the Race version, the SID was lighter. But if it's squishy, I don't want it. I want some firmness there. The RST I have is so squishy you would think it has a bloody bath spunge in it. I like the Zoks though too, so it's a difficult desicion.

As for the wheels, I have heard such great things about the Mavic CrossMax, that I had hoped the CrossLands would be built on par with the price. I know the ENO is the bomb, but for the time being, I want to stick with something abit cheaper.....for now.

I don't have the money for the best parts, nore do I even need them. I don't SS in places that require amazing parts. But I do need better then what I have.

Thanks for the advise so far folks, it's helped alot.
    Evolve or Die

Members who have read this thread: 0