Suspension fork suggestions?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Suspension fork suggestions?

I am building up a Singlespeed frame. I want a lightweight, inexpensive, responsive suspension fork for a 145 lb rider (I am 53 years old, don't want a rigid bike). Since this is my #2 bike, I don't want to break the bank...I would even consider used/ EBay, etc. Any suggestions?

Out spokin'

What's 53 got to do with it?

Quote Originally Posted by Alan
    I am building up a Singlespeed frame. I want a lightweight, inexpensive, responsive suspension fork for a 145 lb rider (I am 53 years old, don't want a rigid bike). Since this is my #2 bike, I don't want to break the bank...I would even consider used/ EBay, etc. Any suggestions?
    Let's not give the yokels on this board the impression that you go soft when you get up there, man. Heck, I'm 50 and I love riding rigid. Or rigid riding. However you say it...

Anyway, I've got a fork suggestion for you. Check out the
    M a r z o c c h i MX Comp. I picked one up for $250 at my LBS and it is one of the sweetest suspension forks I've owned. Compares favorably with my megabuck Fox Vanilla but the Zokey even has ETA which locks it down with the flick of a lever for those long gravel climbs.

Coils weigh more than air, but in my experience they're worth their weight.

Here's to aging with style. [clink!]

--Sparty
    Last edited by Sparticus; 05-10-2004 at 06:18 AM. Reason: Helping rid the world of red links
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

"Mr. Britannica"

ebay

'zoke Z2s and Atom 80s routinely go for under $200.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
    maybe a m a n i t o u black from http://www.greenfishsports.com/ ?

i have a 100-120 mm super air with the lockout; it was only $250 delivered; i like it very much and it's pretty light, too. they have lots of other models at wicked good sale prices.

indigosky

I second that...

Quote Originally Posted by eSSq
    maybe a m a n i t o u black from http://www.greenfishsports.com/ ?

i have a 100-120 mm super air with the lockout; it was only $250 delivered; i like it very much and it's pretty light, too. they have lots of other models at wicked good sale prices.
    I got the Black Elite from Greenfish with 80/100mm for my 80mm suspension corrected Surly 1x1. I threw the extra firm spring in and at the 80mm setting it acts like a rigid fork for out of saddle efforts, but open it up to 100mm and still gives some great bump (root & rock) absorbsion for these nasty Maine trails.

The man who fell to earth

'02 Rockshox Duke SL 100mm

I've been running a 2002 RS Duke SL 100mm (4 inches) for two years now and it rocks. It's light (3.5 lbs), has an air shock thats stiffness can be set exactly like you want it (which can vary from ride to ride), it's laterally and torsionally rigid so you don't get the wet noodle effect when you hit roots, rocks etc (like with a spindly SID), its durable as hell (not a whit of trouble in two solid years of abuse/use), I've never had to do ANY maintenance to it, it really soaks up the big hits, and its cheap (~$180 new).

Some people don't like air shocks because they are "boingier" and not quite as plush as coil sprung shocks, but frankly thats an advantage for singlespeed usage. When I have my shock setup right and I'm mashing up a hill there is very mininal bobbing...with a "plush" shock, welcome to the world of pogo and over the bar-itis "dig ins" while descending technical, eff'ed up hills.

I still see them on ebay all the time, new ones going for $150 or so. Check it out.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I run a SID 98 (single) air fork. Its a sticky, boingy thing... but it is light (2.6 lbs vs my 2 lb rigid fork). Its kind of a halfway point between the plushness of a Marzocchi and a rigid fork. It helps keep my bike in the sub 21lb range.