Suspension Fork Recommendations...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Suspension Fork Recommendations...

Hi

I have been riding rigid for about 3 years now, but I fancy a bit of a change, just to see what it feels like again.

However I've took my eye off the ball and have no idea who makes the best performing forks at the moment?

My bike is a rigid Soul Cycles Hooligan, they recommend 100mm forks I believe, but let me know what you guys think and what you recommend please?...

mtbr member
    Anybody?... Anyone?... :'(

trail hunter
    Apr 2008

Reba

for the money the Rock Shox Reba SL can not be topped.

local trails rider
    The Hooligan is a 26er, right?

Lots of fork choices out there. I think at least Rock Shox, Fox and Marzocchi do pretty good forks now. Marzocchi had their turn at a bad year in 2008, so you might be careful with that vintage. (I am happily using 'zocchis from 2004, or so)

Got any ideas on budget and what kind of features you want? Simple? Everything adjustable? Lock-out? Variable travel?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by perttime
    Lots of fork choices out there. I think at least Rock Shox, Fox and Marzocchi do pretty good forks now. Marzocchi had their turn at a bad year in 2008, so you might be careful with that vintage. (I am happily using 'zocchis from 2004, or so)
    Yes on both Rock Shox and Fox. They both have their issues, but they're well known. Be careful as Fox doesn't make a low end fork, while Rock Shox does.

I would continue to stay away from Marzocchi. The past several years they had serious quality control issues. They say it's resolved for '10, but time will tell on that one. They also tend to be heavier, without as good damping.

mtbr member
    So far I have been looking at the Reba and the Float RLC Remotes, I used to own one of the first Rebas and was impressed with it and have owned Fox in the past also.

I am looking towards the higher end 26er froks. I'd like the fork to be adjustable and offer a lockout too.

openwound
    If you can find one, I'm a fan of the Fox Terralogic forks (F80/100x).

I have a Float RLC on one of my bikes and while it's a good fork, I'm just not a fan of lockout knobs, especially the Fox. Every time that I go to lock the thing out I manage to change the rebound setting... Other than that, it's a fine fork.
    Last edited by voodoochild; 03-30-2010 at 10:34 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I'm running an older ('06?) Reba on my Hooligan. I had it set to 100mm for a while, currently at 115mm. It has been a great fork and works well with the Hooligan.

If I had it to do over, I would have a hard time choosing between the newer, 120mm/20mm TA Reba, and a Revelation with U-Turn and a 20mm TA.

Personally, I dislike remote lockouts (especially on a single speed) and would look for a for without one.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoochild
    I have a Float RLC on one of my bikes and while it's a good fork, I'm just not a fan of lockout knobs, especially the Fox. Every time that I go to lock the thing out I manage to change the rebound setting... Other than that, it's a fine fork.
    This.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Just J
    Hi

I have been riding rigid for about 3 years now, but I fancy a bit of a change, just to see what it feels like again.

However I've took my eye off the ball and have no idea who makes the best performing forks at the moment?

My bike is a rigid Soul Cycles Hooligan, they recommend 100mm forks I believe, but let me know what you guys think and what you recommend please?...

I was going to post the same request but you beat me to it. Riding a Haro Mary SS rigid with a White Brothers carbon fork. Nice, but my 43 year old elbows are talking to me some so I'm curious about forks as well. XC rider who does a little XC racing here and there.

I've nothing to add really, just mentioning I too am interested in the responses here. Having said that, I would think the remote lock out device would be something I'd like to engage and was a feature I was looking for - I noted one whose personal preference was "no." Curious as to why not.

[hope I'm not hijacking your thread - thought this may lend something to the existing discussion]

local trails rider
    My reason for not liking lock-outs is partly me and partly where I ride. Here the hills are short: I am constantly moving from uphill to downhill to uphill to .... I have a Marzocchi ETA on one bike and if I remember to switch it on for a smoother uphill (it does help me there), I tend to forget to switch it off for the descent....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Van-Go
    I was going to post the same request but you beat me to it. Riding a Haro Mary SS rigid with a White Brothers carbon fork. Nice, but my 43 year old elbows are talking to me some so I'm curious about forks as well. XC rider who does a little XC racing here and there.

I've nothing to add really, just mentioning I too am interested in the responses here. Having said that, I would think the remote lock out device would be something I'd like to engage and was a feature I was looking for - I noted one whose personal preference was "no." Curious as to why not.

[hope I'm not hijacking your thread - thought this may lend something to the existing discussion]
    Hi

No that's cool, anything that can aid my decision will be good!

Actually I'm not entirely sure I want a suspension fork, things just feel so pure without however it's more of a "what if?" kind of scenario for me. Just like I'm thinking about buying another FS bike (Intense Tracer VP) but I'm really not sure I'd enjoy it as much as I'm enjoying my rigid SS right now!

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I enjoy the (relative) simplicity of my singlespeed - 96 Zaskar, with 100mm forks (03 Bombers with ETA, which I never bother with either) and discs, but can also thoroughly recommend the Tracer VP. If you get the miles in on the singlespeed, you'll be flying on the Intense .

mtbr member
    I've been happy with my reba. Warranty work on some seal leakage was covered by RS, no other issues. Easily tunable from uber plush to rock hard.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Padi R
    I enjoy the (relative) simplicity of my singlespeed - 96 Zaskar, with 100mm forks (03 Bombers with ETA, which I never bother with either) and discs, but can also thoroughly recommend the Tracer VP. If you get the miles in on the singlespeed, you'll be flying on the Intense .
    I've always had Intense frames, I even won the Tracer Intense gave away in the name that bike comp they ran but I wasn't riding at the time so unfortunately had to let it go, I've kicked myself ever since to be honest!

Still, I am a SS die hard, however sometimes the people I ride with and the places I ride could do with a bit of ease!

mtbr member
    I have a Rigid SS with the Niner fork. I love the response, and weight, but do not like this fork on rocky, rooty descents; single hardpack = awesome!

So, for the more technical trails, I pull out the geared c Fox fork. Different weapons to meet the need.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    +1 on a Reba. I've had both the Reba and the Fox RLC's, and find them very similar. Depending on what model you get, the Reba can save you major money and have the same outstanding benefits as a Fox. Plus, many fox's are known for not getting their full travel amounts, which can be annoying when you pay that much.

Having been on both, however, I don't think you'll go wrong either way.

PS - If you're on a budget, I would look at newer Manitou Minutes (2008+). They're incredibly plush and get outstanding reviews. I ran one on my XC bike for a year and was VERY impressed. You can snag a 2010 off eBay or this site for cheap sometimes, and those have the new 2010 Absolute+ damper which will go head to head with anything else on the market

mtbr member
    +1 on Reba. That baby is the shiz.

I've also ridden the Mainitou R7. If there is one fork you shouldn't get, its that one. Really light. Terribly unpredictable.

mtbr member
    I've just pulled the trigger on some 2011 Fox F-120 Fit Terralogic forks for my bike, I'm looking forward to trying it out but hopefully I wont revert back to the rigid forks that I love so much...

mtbr member
    I'm not completely sold on the rigid fork thing, but damn near! I just finished a 2010 Jabberwocky build, with the Vassago ODIS fork, and have been pleasantly surprised on how well it rides, and I ride some damn rooty, rocky, rough terrain. With that said, there is still that thought in my brain that I need/want a suspension fork, being 49 years old I have to wonder if it would be easier on the body???
    2008 Trek 69er SS
    2010 Vassago Jabberwocky SS

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lwebber60
    I'm not completely sold on the rigid fork thing, but damn near! I just finished a 2010 Jabberwocky build, with the Vassago ODIS fork, and have been pleasantly surprised on how well it rides, and I ride some damn rooty, rocky, rough terrain. With that said, there is still that thought in my brain that I need/want a suspension fork, being 49 years old I have to wonder if it would be easier on the body???

That's basically what's making my decision for me (although I'm 33) that I think I should have suspension forks, rather than actually needing them! We'll see though, I can always put them straight on ebay should I need to!

mtbr member
    Good luck with that fork. I got a RS Reba last month and 4 miles into its maiden voyage it locked out. From what I could gather it was hydrolocked. I know it was under warranty but I just felt I shouldn't have to send it in for service after 4 miles. So, it went back as a return. My WB carbon is back on and I'm shopping. Let me know how that Fox goes. I was also looking at a RS Recon. Prefer the Fox as most would I guess.

I love the rigid feel. For me it is a matter of trail terrain and distance. On a smooth trail I can ride that rigid forever and feel good. On a rocky/rooty trail my performance goes down with each mile that passes beneath me. My local trail is a root infested wonderland. I rode 20 miles yesterday and I'm still feeling it today. I just can't take it any longer. Brutal. Conversely, I rode 40 miles on my carbon/rigid at a trail 4 hours away which is XC but with half the roots in twice the distance and felt fine - could have kept going. As I'm slowly getting into Endurance events I need something to take that edge off.

mtbr member
    That sounds like me, a lot of my terrain is very easy stuff, however when I venture off into the woods or the national park then things get VERY rooty and rocky as does my riding! Hopefully the Fox will be the fit and forget fork I've been waiting for but I'll definitely let you know how I get on with it!

mtbr member
    Finally got them today!

mtbr member
    Just a follow up and mini review on these forks;

They are everything I was looking for in a fork, good at climbing (ie minimal bob or no bob if you so wish) yet fully active when you hit the bumpy stuff.

The forks are ultra stiff and track really well between gullies etc and they are buttery smooth due to the new kashima coating on the stanctions.

I am very happy with my choice, I feared that I wouldn't like them coming from riding rigid forks for the past 4 years, but I've settled back into suspension mode really easily.

I think these forks are very well suited to SS rider and especially one who's used to rigid forks.

Not the most thorough of reviews but it is early days yet, so if anyone has any questions just let me know...

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

seconded

Quote Originally Posted by voodoochild
    If you can find one, I'm a fan of the Fox Terralogic forks (F80/100x).

I had a 2005 F100X, but the steerer was a tad short, then I found someone with a new pair of 2006 F100X's that'd come on a new bike, so I went to those ... extra 1/2 inch of steerer and matt black to match the frame.

Best forks I've ever owned, and well suited for ss use with the terralogic function.

They stopped making them for a few years (they claim because they wanted to improve them, but at the time it was because specialized pulled the patent back as theyd started making their own forks). But I think for 2010 they're back and better (not ridden them)

mtbr member
    My vote goes to the reba xx - can be set 80/100/120, is relatively light and has a nice hydraulic lock out.

Members who have read this thread: 0