susp fork for SS project....suggestions plz!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

susp fork for SS project....suggestions plz!

I'm turning an old Stumpjumper into my first SS and would like to replace the blown out Specialized susp fork (looks like an old mag 21 type) with something newish. Even used but rebuildable would be cool...

I think short travel, 80mm or so would be fine for this frame, I'd like to spend less than 200 bucks.

any suggestions on what to look for?

thanks...
    craig

mtbr member
    my vote goes for a 'zoke Z2- the '97-99's have been going on ebay for around $100. the '98/99 atom bombs are 70mm travel and have shortest axle-crown (vs the bam model, which has a bit more travel) if you've got an older stumpy, or go for a '97 which is ~65mm travel.
    If the bushings are sloppy, marzocchi will rebuild the fork for about $70 with a fast turnaround.

What yr stumpy and 1 or 1 1/8" headset? steel or M2? I had a '96 M2 with a '98 a-bomb. Sold the stumpy to finance a FS, and now that fork is now on my SS converted Norco TNT.
    hasta,
    Serge

Quote Originally Posted by cajonezzz
    I'm turning an old Stumpjumper into my first SS and would like to replace the blown out Specialized susp fork (looks like an old mag 21 type) with something newish. Even used but rebuildable would be cool...

I think short travel, 80mm or so would be fine for this frame, I'd like to spend less than 200 bucks.

thanks...
    craig

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004

'04 Marzocchi MX Comp

Quote Originally Posted by cajonezzz

thanks...
    craig
    I just bought a 2004 Marzocchi MX Comp air/coil/oil fork from jensonusa.com for $179. (Stupid me, I should have waited - my LBS sold the same fork this past weekend for $85!!.) Anyway, this fork has 85mm of travel, measures 458mm from axle to crown, and has internally adjustable rebound dampening. It's a traditional coil/oil Zoke design (like my old Z2 Atom 80), but it has air assist for preload. It's not the smoothest fork, and I had to dump a serious amount of oil out of it to get even 80mm of travel, but now that I have it dialed in, it works pretty well for a sub-$200 fork and really improved the handling of my 1x1.

"Mr. Britannica"
    Quote Originally Posted by logbiter
    my vote goes for a 'zoke Z2- the '97-99's have been going on ebay for around $100. the '98/99 atom bombs are 70mm travel and have shortest axle-crown (vs the bam model, which has a bit more travel) if you've got an older stumpy, or go for a '97 which is ~65mm travel.
    If the bushings are sloppy, marzocchi will rebuild the fork for about $70 with a fast turnaround.

Z2 is a solid choice. I use newer 2000 and 2002 versions on my SSs.