Is the Surly Singleator spring loaded?- Mtbr.com
    Nat
    mtbr member

Is the Surly Singleator spring loaded?

Is the Singleator spring loaded to put dynamic tension on the chain, or do you set it where you want it and tighten it down? I'm using an old derailleur now as a tensioner, and am considering using a Singleator instead. If it's spring loaded, does it put more force on the chain than a derailleur?

Out spokin'

Yes, it's spring loaded

No, it doesn't put more tension on the chain than a der. Ders work just as well or better than singleators. The singleator (gawd, is that how it's spelled? It sure looks wrong...) just looks marginally better than a der.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

Combat Wombat

It is springloaded, but you can adjust it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nat
    Is the Singleator spring loaded to put dynamic tension on the chain, or do you set it where you want it and tighten it down? I'm using an old derailleur now as a tensioner, and am considering using a Singleator instead. If it's spring loaded, does it put more force on the chain than a derailleur?
    When you mount it, you set it for how much pressure you want to put on the chain. It is possible to put considerably more tension on a chain than what a derailleur applies.

Brian

Nat
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianU
    When you mount it, you set it for how much pressure you want to put on the chain. It is possible to put considerably more tension on a chain than what a derailleur applies.

Brian
    Thanks guys.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

So which is it?

Does it work better than a derail(l)e(u)r for the purpose or not? I'm reasonably happy with the way my derailer works to keep tension, would a Surly device only be an aesthetic change?

Inbred Homebrewer
    Quote Originally Posted by GrantB
    Does it work better than a derail(l)e(u)r for the purpose or not? I'm reasonably happy with the way my derailer works to keep tension, would a Surly device only be an aesthetic change?
    Can't really say if the Surly works "better" than a derailleur, because I haven't used either one (I have a Pyramid tensioner which is a surly knock-off that costs half as much) but here are some reasons why it may work better:

Chainline adjustment: To dial in the chainline using a derailleur, you have to fuss around with two small philips limit screws. On the pyramid, and presumably the Surly, you simply loosen a 4mm allen bolt and slide the arm holding the pulley to one side or the other until it's nice and centered under your cog, then tighten the fixing bolt.

Spring tension: Wider range of adjustment than is available w/ a derailleur.

Friction: Fewer pulleys = less friction, shorter chain, one less thing to get all gunked up, etc.

Aesthetics: IMO, a tensioner looks a lot better than an old derailleur.

Not to mention the fact that your derailleur is being wasted. Why not put it to use doing what it was designed to do? Build another geared bike, or sell it and buy the Pyramid tensioner and a 6-pack!
    "mmmm....Beeeeeeer." - Homer J. Simpson

intentionally left blank
    [QUOTE=Stick]
    Chainline adjustment: To dial in the chainline using a derailleur, you have to fuss around with two small philips limit screws. On the pyramid, and presumably the Surly, you simply loosen a 4mm allen bolt and slide the arm holding the pulley to one side or the other until it's nice and centered under your cog, then tighten the fixing bolt.
    QUOTE]

I put together a Fisher as a SS commuter this summer using a cassette wheel and an old derailleur for tension. With that set up, there was no way the limiter screws could go in far enough to set up the derailleur - but - if you run a brake cable through the derailleur, with the head of the cable right at the barrell adjuster, and use a 4th hand tool (or is that 3rd hand - I can never remember...) to pull the cable through, you can set the derailleur anywhere in it's range. And perfectly fine tune it for chainline.

Then just run chain under the top jockey wheel. Certainly way more ugly than a tensioner, but very functional.

Out spokin'

I've used both

I've used both and each of them work equally well. They're tensioners after all... what you really want is a dedicated SS frame.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    One advantage of the Singleator is that it can be run pushing up. This gives a tidy setup with less hanging down.

Better still is to buy a frame with the track ends.