surly qr tuggnut q's- Mtbr.com
    solid gold plated

surly qr tuggnut q's

how many of you are using the surly tuggnut with a QR set up on your bikes?

im thinking of getting some for mine but im worried that there may be some slippage with using this set up and potentially bending the QR itself.

has anybody come into trouble like this themselves or is it generally ok?

many thanks
    a message of inspiration from your friends at yoplait, fruit on the bottom, hope on top!

CB2
    Jam Econo
    The only problem I've run into with the Surlly tuggnut is bending the tensioning bolt, but no slippage.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I've been using one with no trouble whatsoever yet.

meh... whatever
    bulletproof
    "Knowledge is good." ~ Emil Faber

I live to bike
    works fine for me...but I did have to use one on each side, not just the drive side. it wanted to slip on the non-drive side without it. Had to get a slightly longer skewer to run one on each side.

solid gold plated
    does anyone know of a place where i could get a washer to allow me to use the 10mm tug nuts with a qr?

as to get 2 surly ones will cost me 50 quid which is an awful lot of money, when i could get 2 normal 10mm ones for 15
    a message of inspiration from your friends at yoplait, fruit on the bottom, hope on top!

Desert Saildier
    Aug 2005
    I have a problem with my Tuggnuts on my MC. I am running disc brakes and when I hit the brake hard, he wheel pulls left. When I am climbing and really cranking the pedals, the wheel pulls right. I am running a regular XT skewer. I am tempted to get a bolt on rear wheel.
    Seafarinman
    IT1(SW) USN
    2K Access Ti SS magic 32/20
    2K4 Jamis Komodo SS magic 32/20

banned
    Apr 2004

You only need one on the drive side

Quote Originally Posted by da_eddio
    does anyone know of a place where i could get a washer to allow me to use the 10mm tug nuts with a qr?

as to get 2 surly ones will cost me 50 quid which is an awful lot of money, when i could get 2 normal 10mm ones for 15
    like Mono said, bullet proof, (even with the QR).

Low speed, High Drag
    I used a bolt-on skewer with mine, and had no trouble. The idea of a quick release, bearing the weight of my fat a$$, standing to push a 32x21 gear up a hill was scary. I went wih the bolt-on for peace of mind.

E !

no probs here

i run a shimano skewer, surly tug on driveside and disk brakes. Never has slipped. I weight about 165.

solid gold plated
    i think i may have too convert my rear hub to 12mm bolt thru and use a 10mm step down axle as i weigh about 230-240lbs

I live to bike

They come with the washer.

solid gold plated
    im aware they come with the washer, i merely wish to get the washer seperately rather than dish out 50 quid for a tensioner either side

I live to bike
    im aware they come with the washer, i merely wish to get the washer seperately rather than dish out 50 quid for a tensioner either side
    I misunderstood the question. Sorry, but I don't know where to get just the washer.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Work Great

I run a Tuggnut with my Mavci Crossmax wheel and Allen-key-bolt-thru QRs. I am a near Clyde and have no slippages. Other chain tugs I tried did not work nearly as well and were incompatible with QRs.

You also only need one - on the drive side. I think that running two is more likely to lead to slippage.

One of the great, unheralded, SS products in my view.

mtbr member
    i had a 1x1 with disc brakes and a qr hub. no matter how tight the qr was, i always had problems with the wheel/axle backing off of the non-drive side tugnut. i come to believe that the braking force was too great for the qr to overcome. i played with the setup for about a year and never could get it 100 percent right. i ended up going to a 29'er and sold all of my 26" stuff. problem no more. looking back, i would use a bolt on axle if i rolled disc brakes.

i ride bikez!!11!
    Aug 2006

Any shop with access to QBP can order just the washers. I know that I've seen them in the QBP catalog.

Exclusively Single
    Quote Originally Posted by xmynameisdan
    Any shop with access to QBP can order just the washers. I know that I've seen them in the QBP catalog.
    You can order them from many online shops or your LBS for a few bucks...

meh... whatever
    Quote Originally Posted by OneFear
    I think that running two is more likely to lead to slippage.
    since the tuggnut prevents the axle from moving forward in the drops (i.e. slippage) i must confess that im at a loss to imagine how having one on each side would lead to slippage.

meh... whatever
    the qr washers retail for $5 usd.

if you cant get them on the cheap over there let me know and i can get some to you.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtdirt223
    i had a 1x1 with disc brakes and a qr hub. no matter how tight the qr was, i always had problems with the wheel/axle backing off of the non-drive side tugnut. i come to believe that the braking force was too great for the qr to overcome. i played with the setup for about a year and never could get it 100 percent right. i ended up going to a 29'er and sold all of my 26" stuff. problem no more. looking back, i would use a bolt on axle if i rolled disc brakes.
    I ride a 1x1 with disc now and bolt on is WAY better than with a QR. My QR slipped with the tugnut. Not every ride, but it definitely had some play. The thru axle doesn't move.

meh... whatever
    the tuggnut mechanically and structurally prevents axle movement in the drops.

if there is slippage, play, or movement with a qr and tugg the only possibility is that the tugg wasnt installed and/or utilized correctly.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by monogod
    the tuggnut mechanically and structurally prevents axle movement in the drops.

if there is slippage, play, or movement with a qr and tugg the only possibility is that the tugg wasnt installed and/or utilized correctly.
    True, for the tuggnut side, but the non-tugg side was the one slipping with weaker clamping power of a QR. No user error there.

meh... whatever
    Quote Originally Posted by JPSurly
    True, for the tuggnut side, but the non-tugg side was the one slipping with weaker clamping power of a QR. No user error there.
    if the non drive side is slipping (where no power is applied) then either the qr wasnt tightened enough (user error), or the qr tip is cheesy (lots are plastic instead of metal), or the cam on the lever side is worn out.

three options...

1. tighten the qr down tigher
    2. get a good steel skewer
    3. put a tugg on the other side.

i run a one sided tugg on a fixed gear km with a good steel qr with no prollems.

a good steel qr doesnt necessarily have weaker clamping power than a bolt on, just a different method of applying the tension.

in fact, a qr is so strong that you can file the axle ends off a qr axle even with the nut (the part that fits into the dropout), insert the skewer, and put it in vertical drops, tension the chain, and then clamp it down. it will hold just fine. sort of ghetto eccentric hub.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Plastic tip may have been the problem on my rig. Steel is real.

mtbr member
    http://aebike.com/page.cfm?PageID=30...nsearch=Search

here ya go.
    aebike.com is good people

meh... whatever
    Quote Originally Posted by JPSurly
    Plastic tip may have been the problem on my rig. Steel is real.
    prolly so. ive had nothing but problems trying to use them in horizontal drops. salsa makes a skewer thats bombproof and pretty darn sexy to boot!

mtbr member
    so, I just swapped out my bolt on rear wheel for a QR wheel, couldnt find the surly adapter but I did find that the little threaded ring from a Presta valve tube will work just great.

Members who have read this thread: 0