Surly KM or Unit 2-9?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2005

New question here. Surly KM or Unit 2-9?

I posted earlier between the 1 x 1 and the unit. 3 days per week I will be commuting to work. I am looking to switch my KM over to a 1 x 9. This means I will need a new 29singlespeed....oh darn! There are no more unit 2-9's to compare to. Stick with the KM or unit 2-9?

Got A Lust for Life...
    In the area I am currently living, 29rs are all the rage. The surlys used to be the 29r of choice around here. Since that Unit came out, they have been selling like hot cakes because of the performance and higher bottom bracket. The buzz about them is so bad that it is starting to make me wonder whether or not I should try it. I am a hold out for such things. I would go with the Unit. I have a Unit 26 and love it. The guys that are on the Unit 29 act like the frame is a never ending supply of coke....like having all the dopamine neurons in the brain fire at once. No joke. It is getting annoying.
    I am immune to your disdain.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by indyfab25
    The guys that are on the Unit 29 act like the frame is a never ending supply of coke....like having all the dopamine neurons in the brain fire at once. No joke. It is getting annoying.
    Ha ... that's funny. I spit out my coffee! I'm not near you, but I will shutup and ride.

mtbr member
    You might consider a Niner bikes S.I.R. 9 can go SS or with der hanger, both come w/ the frame. EBB makes it easy to change cogs... http://www.ninerbikes.com/sir9.html

Got A Lust for Life...

Are you agreeing...

Quote Originally Posted by SScheetz
    Ha ... that's funny. I spit out my coffee! I'm not near you, but I will shutup and ride.
    Or disagreeing? Passionate 29 riders in this area absolutely love this frame. I am not 29 guy myself. However, these are picky dudes that have been riding for YEARs in a very technical oriented area. It has become THE frame to have. I rode one yesterday and it is a LOT of fun. It is by far the best feeling 29 I have ever ridden. That is not saying much though mind you.

mtbr member
    Or disagreeing? Passionate 29 riders in this area absolutely love this frame. I am not 29 guy myself. However, these are picky dudes that have been riding for YEARs in a very technical oriented area. It has become THE frame to have. I rode one yesterday and it is a LOT of fun. It is by far the best feeling 29 I have ever ridden. That is not saying much though mind you.
    I totally agree. I have to force myself to stop all the talk. My friends and wife are ready to strangle me.

This is by far my favorite ride of all my cycling years. Like I tell everyone, it does everything right. It's quick and nimble, stable at speed, and light (my build).

It accelerates quickly

And I have had no problems with weak 29" wheels

Opps ... I did it again, and this isn't even the 29er forum.

Ok ... now I'll shutup.

Got A Lust for Life...

It is funny...

Quote Originally Posted by SScheetz
    I totally agree. I have to force myself to stop all the talk. My friends and wife are ready to strangle me.

This is by far my favorite ride of all my cycling years. Like I tell everyone, it does everything right. It's quick and nimble, stable at speed, and light (my build).

It accelerates quickly

And I have had no problems with weak 29" wheels

Opps ... I did it again, and this isn't even the 29er forum.

Ok ... now I'll shutup.
    That is exactly what everyone else says. The high bottom bracket is a seller as well. At the shop I frequent, there is a seven 29er demo and a karate monkey demo. The karate monkey is everyone's favorite. The seven doesn't hold a candle to the karate monkey from what the 29 riders say. Now here comes the Unit 29er. They are all saying it is even better than the monkey. This is coming from long time monkey riders that are now on Units. This may seem like hearsay, but after listening to...oh say...about 50 conversations about the ride of the two frames, I would say the Unit gets the nod. No, I don't work for Kona and the Unit I have is great but I am not on my knees for them. Their sliding dropouts suck IMO. The 07s have fixed that problem. You might find them selling out of them.

mtbr member
    Now here comes the Unit 29er. They are all saying it is even better than the monkey. This is coming from long time monkey riders that are now on Units.
    Well Öthatís cool; I guess I got me a good one. I certainly canít compare it to anything, this is my fist 29er.

At the shop I frequent, there is a seven 29er demo and a karate monkey demo. The karate monkey is everyone's favorite. The seven doesn't hold a candle to the karate monkey from what the 29 riders say.
    Really?

Their sliding dropouts suck IMO. The 07s have fixed that problem. You might find them selling out of them.
    I happen to like the sliding dropout for running disks. Itís exactly the same as the one on my 26 Unit. The only mod I made to the dropout is to get rid of the star washer and use a good flat washer. I donít like the way the star washers gouge into the frameís horizontal dropout. The gouges eventually make fine adjustments difficult.

I know a few have posted here that had problems with the sliding dropout slipping. No one I know personally has had a problem, and there are a lot of Units around here.

Members who have read this thread: 0