surly hubs- Mtbr.com

Thread: surly hubs

mtbr member
    Sep 2007

surly hubs

Hey i did a search and didn't find what I was looking for. I have a Wheel set Surly new hubs Laced to Semi-disc's. I love the wheel set its a definite upgrade from the pos GT branded formula set that came on my Peace 9'r. Well Sunday we went for a ride and the front end felt weird, the bolts that hold the bearings in had loosened up. we tightened them by hand as we where on the trail. Fast forward to Thanksgiving and me and my buddy are going for a ride. there is a terrible sound coming from the front of my bike. we stop to examine it and low an behold when we remove the wheel and spin it the bearings feel super gritty and the wheel doesn't spin freely, bind up every little bit... so here are my questions
    1. Are the Bearings in the surly hubs low end?
    2. are they known for going bad quickly?
    3. i realize that its probably not the bearings fault....more of my trails side maintenance and not having the proper tools. this is my most important question what bearings should i replace the stock ones with?
    btw i have only had the wheel set since the beginning of October.
    stumpjumper 29 evo
    Jabberwocky
    Gt peace 9'r
    SE Lager

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    you could have definitely destroyed the bearings by riding them when they were overtightened.

that would be my guess anyway...

bearings, especially in a front wheel, will last a good long time if kept properly adjusted.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    thats pretty much what i figured. where can i get replacements for these?
    stumpjumper 29 evo
    Jabberwocky
    Gt peace 9'r
    SE Lager

mtbr member
    I found this on part of their website:
    All New model hubs (front and rear) use the same bearings
    7901 bearing (full compliment, adjustable cartridge), 12.0mm i.d., 24.0mm o.d., 6.0mm thick
    These bearings are adjustable cartridge type. They should be adjusted prior to use to ensure longest life, and occasionally throughout the life of the hub.
    I believe these Enduro bearings would work well for that, but I would wait for someone that has done this on a Surly hub to respond. I believe Phil Wood makes these style as well

trail rat
    Quote Originally Posted by nickcarll
    1. Are the Bearings in the surly hubs low end?
    2. are they known for going bad quickly?
    3. i realize that its probably not the bearings fault....more of my trails side maintenance and not having the proper tools. this is my most important question what bearings should i replace the stock ones with?
    btw i have only had the wheel set since the beginning of October.
    1 - no
    2 - no
    3 - correct, not properly adjusted.

I have had two sets of Surly hubs/wheels. Both had 2-3 years of use with no issues, very very smooth rolling (I sold both bikes that are still rolling fine). You can get the bearings at any industrial bearing supply place, check the yellow pages for "bearing supplier" in your town. You can order online here for $4.70 each.

Or get these sweet ones for $60.00

7901 Angular Contact Full Ceramic Bearing 12x24x6

from here. They will last forever if you keep them adjusted.
    "The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

CCCMB trail work for trail access - SLO, CA

Members who have read this thread: 0