Surly hub question?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Surly hub question?

thinking about snagging me a set of Surly disc hubs/Delgado rims wheels. What type of freewheel do you guys use who have Surly rear hubs. Looking for something around 20t and 17t, but don't want to spend a butt load. If I read correctly Surly hubs only take freewheels and not shimano cassette type cogs right? Also how do these hubs ride? I have a set of Bontrager wheels now that are converts. Do the Surly hubs roll smooth etc. Thanks for any help. JC

Poorly Disguised Poser

highly UNDERrated

Yes surly hubs use a freewheel and not cassettes.

They seem to me to be as (if not more) durable than any other hub I have used. something like a TA hub might be more solid, but its not really fair to compare a standard axle to a TA.

They roll like butter, they love to be abused heavily, and ask for more. They are half the price of other hubs that seem to not be as durable. And as far as I can tell, no one rides faster than me because they spent more on their hubs.

You say you dont want to spend a lot on a FW....I think you can accomplish this by buying a White Industries Eno. They cost a bunch, but will last sooo long that you will actually spend less than you would if you replace a lesser FW as often as you may have to.

Shimano, ACS, other....they seem to last me anywhere from 100 to 500 miles. I have several thousand on my WI and it shows no signs of giving up any time soon.....how hard are you on parts?

Great choice on the hubs, I think you will be very happy!
    My ego is bigger and better looking than yours.

mtbr member
    i have only used eno freewheels on my surly hubs and they have been flawless, both the hubs and the eno's.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    appreciate the advice guys. I will just go ahead a flip for the eno freewheels. I need a 20t, for the woods. I will just keep the wheels I have w/ a 16t on them for the road etc. See ya later, JC

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Unit is dead on with his synopsis of the surly hubs. I've had great luck with mine (one 29er and one 26er wheelset) and have never had any problems. Price is excellent especially when compared with other hubs on market. I like that they have relatively high flanges that translates into a stiffer wheel because of the shorter spokes used. You can't go wrong.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Surly good in my book

I use surly hubs exclusively on both my cross bike and 29er (both SS of course!) and have been very happy. Ridden the heck out of 'em for a year with no maintenance/no issues. Go Surly!

By the way, I have my Surly hubs paired with Velocity Dyad rims...good price and they take a beating too. Less expensive than the highly coveted Delgados and every bit as good. And I'm also a Salsa fan, honest.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    This is all great info, and makes me feel better about choosing the wheels with those hubs. This is for my Surly 1x1. Don't mind the 26" wheels even though I have had a 29'er, I am liking the 1x1 w/ a big front tire. Might as well be a 29'er w/ a 2.6 tire in the front haha. The 1x1 and myself are meshing well!. I am gonna order the wheels tomorrow, so I will let you guys know how they work out!. Thanks guys, JC

trail rat
    Surly flip flop with a 18T fixed and 19T ENO. Wheels are built with Salsa Delgado Cross rims. Bombproof, and silky buttery. I like Shimano FW (only 16,17,18) or ENO any size, pay to play. ACS seems to be a crapshoot. Most I have are noisy KLUNKERS, some are not, but dey be cheap. I use the Klaws (19-22T) to determine size for whatever bike, then use eBay till I get an ENO at a right price.
    "The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

CCCMB trail work for trail access - SLO, CA

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    [QUOTE=unit]

Shimano, ACS, other....they seem to last me anywhere from 100 to 500 miles.

What happens to these freewheels in such a short time?

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=Psycle151]
    Quote Originally Posted by unit

Shimano, ACS, other....they seem to last me anywhere from 100 to 500 miles.

What happens to these freewheels in such a short time?
    i have 16 and 17 tooth eno freewheels. the 17 probably has 1500 miles or more and not one issure. the 16 doesn't get used much, probably 300 miles with no issues.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I get the wheels Friday. I ordered them today. I didn't have the money for the WI eno freewheel, so I got a couple shimano ones instead and a ACS Freewheel tool, the nice one with the double ended handle etc. Can't wait to get them mounted up. I am putting blue spoke nipples on the wheels when they arrive. I wrench at a shop partime so I get a nice break on stuff, and get to use the shop, I hopefully will have a pic of my bike for you guys to see this weekend w/ the wheels. Later on, JC

mtbr member
    Count me in as a Surly hub lover. Solid, cheap, and really not as heavy as everybody says. I couldn't be happier. I remember when I first posted my build, I got some flack for having a Surly hub included in what some thought was a blingy build. Spending three hundred bucks on one hub just didn't make sense to me.

As for the freewheel, I'm starting with the ACS until I decide what gear ratio I like the most. The bike is my first singlespeed and it's a 29", so I'm giving myself room to get comfortable, improve, and sort out the preferred tooth count before I spring for the ENO.

I'm running a 34x20 right now, but I think I'm going to try a 19 for awhile and see how that treats me. I'd be stoked if I could push an 18 for 24 hrs of Moab, but we'll see. Last year I rode a lap on a 32x18 26" bike and was it pretty good, if not prone to spin out on the downs.
    All the Dude ever wanted was his rug back.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Got the wheels in, and the rear rim had a flat spot from UPS. I am getting the replacement on Wednsday and when I get it all mounted up, I will post a pic. The front is awesome. Surly hubs are so smooth, you guys were right. I am using a ACS 16T freewheel for commuting, and a 20t shimano freewheel for dirt. Oh well. I will post a pic when the new wheel gets mounted up. Later, JC

trail rat
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRingBash
    Got the wheels in, and the rear rim had a flat spot from UPS. I am getting the replacement on Wednsday and when I get it all mounted up, I will post a pic. The front is awesome. Surly hubs are so smooth, you guys were right. I am using a ACS 16T freewheel for commuting, and a 20t shimano freewheel for dirt. Oh well. I will post a pic when the new wheel gets mounted up. Later, JC
    Where oh where did you find a Shimano 20T FW? I'd love to have one; that size Klaw is the worst klunker in my collection.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Got it at QBP (Quality Bicycle Products), when I ordered the wheels. Any shop that goes through QBP should be able to get it. Best part is it is pretty nice and cheap. Has good engagement from what I can tell. Hope this helps.

trail rat
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRingBash
    Got it at QBP (Quality Bicycle Products), when I ordered the wheels. Any shop that goes through QBP should be able to get it. Best part is it is pretty nice and cheap. Has good engagement from what I can tell. Hope this helps.
    I found one at bikeparts.com! I thought that Shimano only did 16-18T, but that is in 3/32"; the 20T is 1/8". That works for me since I am running PC-1 1/8 chains on two SS bikes. Many Google searches had not found that Shimano 20T.

Thanks for the reply; I had given up getting a 20T Shimano and was resigned to using my 20T Klaws which is klunkity, klunkity. Have to wait another month to budget an ENO 20T.

Members who have read this thread: 0