Surly Hub QR style - where to find just axle>?- Mtbr.com
    ... I guess you won't be

Surly Hub QR style - where to find just axle>?

I have a surly hubbed wheelset on my SS. My primary long distance bike transportation options all include yanking the front wheel - quite inconvienent for me, I'm sick of it.

I know one can order the Surly Disc Hubs w/ hollow axles for using a QR, but I can't seem to find anyone who actually sells the buggers....I got an email into surly, but havent gotten a response....

Any leads?

The Top Cap Guy
    Someone double check me but I think this is all you need... a q/r axle 9mm for the 100mm space front hub....

http://aebike.com/site/page.cfm?PageID=30&SKU=HU8242

I did the swap on a std Surly front hub with no problems. My fixie had bolt on front wheel and I switched it to a QR for easy removal also. I'm pretty sure this is the part I used. I remember just switching out the axles and reusing the same hub parts.

FF
    "If I'm leading, I'm bleeding."

... I guess you won't be
    thanks for the lead - I've gotten stuff from AEB before, great shop - Just ordered it up!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I did the same with my Surly NEW Disc hub

I bought a hollow axel to convert my Surly New Disc rear hub to a QR setup to use on my Salsa Juan Solo. I ordered a Wheels Mfg hollow axle(10mm x 1 x 146mm QR) for the rear hub from BIKEMAN.com... $11.95
    Sir Dabs-alot

... I guess you won't be
    I also ordered the exact same one for the rear! I figure I might as well.....since my bike uses an eccentric BB and doesn't need a bolted rear axle setup.....

thanks for the help guys!

mtbr member
    So, speaking of Surly rear hubs, has anybody had problems with the chainline when using one? I've heard rumors that the cog is far enough out on the hub to necessitate an extra long bb. I only ask because I want to use Race Face cranks with the built in bb and I'm not sure if they'll work.

Members who have read this thread: 0