surly hub/crosscheck s.s. question- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

surly hub/crosscheck s.s. question

hello folks,

so heres the situation: I have a singlespeed/fixed road wheelset that is build tup using Surly New Track Hubs. the rear wheel uses road spacing (which I believe is 120mm). I also have a geared crosscheck frame that I've used as a touring bike. I'd like to shed the parts off the bike and set it up as my fixed gear town bike for the time being.

my question is as follows: the crosscheck is set up to accomodate a 130-135 mm rear hub. can the the new track hubs be respaced to 130mm in order to fit the crosscheck, or is it advisable to run a 120mm hub w/out respacing it on a crosscheck.

any help would be appreciated. thanks, Dan.

Candlestick Maker
    Quote Originally Posted by dan p
    hello folks,

so heres the situation: I have a singlespeed/fixed road wheelset that is build tup using Surly New Track Hubs. the rear wheel uses road spacing (which I believe is 120mm). I also have a geared crosscheck frame that I've used as a touring bike. I'd like to shed the parts off the bike and set it up as my fixed gear town bike for the time being.

my question is as follows: the crosscheck is set up to accomodate a 130-135 mm rear hub. can the the new track hubs be respaced to 130mm in order to fit the crosscheck, or is it advisable to run a 120mm hub w/out respacing it on a crosscheck.

any help would be appreciated. thanks, Dan.
    Generally...
    track - 120mm
    modern road - 130mm
    Measure your "singlespeed/fixed road wheelset" and see what it really is.

I wouldn't run 120mm hubs on my Cross Check, but would have no probs w/ 130mm.

The ability to respace depends on the axle length and design.

baker

I am the owl
    I had a Surly 120mm hub on my Crosscheck frame for a long time. Spaced it out to 132mm. Just make sure to get the chainline correct up front (I think it's 42mm, but check the Surly site).
    SingleSpeedOutlaw .com
    Riding Bikes and Drinking Beer.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Same here. 120 respaced to 132. About 2 years with no problems.
    I had to run the chainring in the middle position for a good chainline.

I am the owl
    Quote Originally Posted by SSweetleaf
    I am planning on doing that with my cross check as well .What would be the advantage of getting the Surly track hub as opposed to getting the Surly hub that is 135 spaced?
    If I were building the wheel from scratch I would get a 135mm. Then I can steal the wheel for my 29er if I ever need to. When I built my 120mm hub I had an old road frame that was 126mm spacing. Then I moved to the Crosscheck and spaced it out to 132mm.
    SingleSpeedOutlaw .com
    Riding Bikes and Drinking Beer.

mtbr member

Post pics when you are done

I am planning on doing that with my cross check as well .What would be the advantage of getting the Surly track hub as opposed to getting the Surly hub that is 135 spaced?

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    The advantage of the track hub is fixed/fixed flip/floppability. I run 42:16 for hilly road rides in northern Baltimore County, and flip the wheel to 14t for Ocean City flatland cruising. I wish Surly would make a fixed/fixed 135mm rear hub. I even asked a machinist buddy if he could rethread the freewheel side to accept the track lockring, but he wasn't too confident.
    The Phil fixed/fixed 135mm is just out of reach... On-one makes one as well, as did Kogswell, but no longer around except in the UK.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by don_fixote
    On-one makes one as well, as did Kogswell, but no longer around except in the UK.
    I'm pretty sure the IRO hub is the same as Kogswell and On-One. Better price, too.

http://www.irocycle.com/id45.html

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Thanks for the info. I might have to pick one of these up when my Surly dies.

Members who have read this thread: 1