Surly Frt Rings- Mtbr.com

Thread: Surly Frt Rings

Ride Responsibly

Surly Frt Rings

OK, so I am not running SS. I am running 1x9 on my Superlight. I had set it up with a Surly Stainless 34 tooth and all was good, except I thought I might benefit from changing to a 32. Yes the 32 Surly Stainless did help me climb a bit, but the damn thing is noisy. When I am in the largest 2 cogs in back, the chain grinds onto the frt ring.
    So I compared rings and not only is the 32 wider by .07mm, the tooth profile is larger, just more damn tooth than on the 34.
    Now for the question. Did I mess up and buy a 1/8 32, while the 34 is 3/32? (Not marked for width) Or is it just a tolerance difference in manufacture?

Mtbr Forum Sponsor - Homebrewed Components
    Jul 2006
    they are stamped, they wont be as consistant as something cnc machined. The material thickness has tollerances as well, so there's alot of variables there.
    If you got a 1/8" ring, you'd definitely know it.... the 3/32" chain wouldnt fit at all.

ott
    mtbr member
    from surly:

"Our original chainrings were made with a 2.2-2.3mm thick stock plate and required use of 5-8 speed chains. These were sold through summer 2007. Everything since summer/fall 2007 have a narrower 2.1mm tooth thickness and are compatible with 6-9 speed chains"

How old is yours
    Ik hier.............?

ott
    mtbr member
    Ik hier.............?

Ride Responsibly
    Thanks guys. I looked at the Surly site but did not see that about the production change, good to know.
    Suspect my 32 tooth is older and I have a new nine spd chain. Live and learn.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    It'll make a good taco holder soon enough

Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Schmucker
    It'll make a good taco holder soon enough
    lmao yea that's what happened to mine on a hill climb. Part of the reason why i dont make stainless chainrings.

Pwning Trails
    I don't understand this taco holder? Stainless bends? Or?

Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by phlite
    I don't understand this taco holder? Stainless bends? Or?
    304 stainless steel yield strength: 42100psi
    7075-T6 aluminum yield strength: 73000psi

The yield strength or yield point of a material is defined in engineering and materials science as the stress at which a material begins to deform plastically. Prior to the yield point the material will deform elastically and will return to its original shape when the applied stress is removed. Once the yield point is passed some fraction of the deformation will be permanent and non-reversible. -wikipedia

mtbr member
    How about 316 stainless as a material for rings?
    Ride more!

Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by asphaltdude
    How about 316 stainless as a material for rings?
    I made one 316 stainless steel ring and i didnt like it, so i stopped making them all together. Any stainless worthy of chainring material IMHO is too close to the cost of ti to justify making it. I switched to a 17-4ph steel for the cogs which can reach a yield strength of close to 200,000psi, but this material is far too expensive in the configuration needed to make chainrings. Plus, once you heat treat it, something large and thin with alot of cuts will warp pretty bad.

Members who have read this thread: 0