Surly Frames: Paint or Powder?- Mtbr.com
    formerly ss-nyc
    Feb 2004

Surly Frames: Paint or Powder?

Does anyone know if Surly paints or powdercoats thier frames?

If they powdercoat, how does it hold up? Does it chip like paint? Is it more durable?

Thanks.

I am the owl
    Powder. It's pretty durable.
    SingleSpeedOutlaw .com
    Riding Bikes and Drinking Beer.

JDZ
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Powdercoat

I believe the 1X1's are powerdercoated. The PC on mine has held up great. Much better than my painted frames have.

mtbr member

yes they are

Quote Originally Posted by NYCfixie

If they powdercoat, how does it hold up? Does it chip like paint? Is it more durable?

Thanks.
    They are powdercoated a la choy! That's why the paint doesn't flake off like the Gunnars.

Well, today I got the skid-stop down. WAHOOO! Unweigh the rear, lock up your legs in a horizontal fashion, pull back on the cranks, and pray to Buddha that your tire won't pop.

I was riding down Wisconsin Ave, in front of Marquette University, and some rich-white-boy Abercrombie who was jaywalking yells out: push it Lance!

I took it as a semi-compliment.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    from the surly website

Single-Speed 1x1
    Nobody wants to spend a bunch of cash on a single-speed...and why should they? To do so is contrary to the whole spirit of the single-speed experience. At Surly we have known this for years and are continuing to offer our excellent 1x1 single-speed frameset. The 1x1 features a beefy, double-butted 100% cro-moly suspension-corrected frame and 1-1/8" hard fork with very nice black or white powder coating and cool white decals.

ive only had my 1x1 for a few months. the finish seems pretty good though.
    i think i may clear coat the labels .the one by the chain got a little screwed up from lube.
    Last edited by bluecruz; 06-18-2004 at 07:42 AM.

mtbr member

My 1x1

has some chips and dullness to the finish.

I'm not sure I would agree Powdercoat is better than paint! Paint could be much better if applied correctly and of good quality. Consider the finish on most German cars and how long it lasts against rocks hitting it at highway speeds.

I often ride where there is tons of grit in the soil, it definately takes a quick toll on the bikes finish. My painted frames seem to hold up about the same as the Surly.

MC

Quote Originally Posted by NYCfixie

Thanks.

JDZ
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Automotive finishes consist of about 4 coats of paint plus 3 coats of clearcoat. Put that on a bike frame and it will be significantly heavier and more expensive.

mtbr member

PC v.s. Paint

I'm sure its really cost, not weight that makes bike companies use PC over a "auto" like paint finish. Look at all the highend steel bikes, most are painted real nice, not covered in PC.

I just think PC looks crappy fast, it always dulls, no shine. I'll take the extra weight of paint anytime. But that said, with the price point of the Surly being what it is, their bikes sure are a bargain! I like my 1x1 just fine with the dull finish since it was so cheap!

My .02c

MC

Quote Originally Posted by JDZ
    Automotive finishes consist of about 4 coats of paint plus 3 coats of clearcoat. Put that on a bike frame and it will be significantly heavier and more expensive.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by MellowCat
    I'm sure its really cost, not weight that makes bike companies use PC over a "auto" like paint finish. Look at all the highend steel bikes, most are painted real nice, not covered in PC.

I just think PC looks crappy fast, it always dulls, no shine. I'll take the extra weight of paint anytime. But that said, with the price point of the Surly being what it is, their bikes sure are a bargain! I like my 1x1 just fine with the dull finish since it was so cheap!
    MC
    Autos are painted cause it can be done more efficiently. They just dip it into big pool of paint, righh? ( I should admit I do not really know. ) No baking

Powder coat is much more durable, and when done well, looks really nice. And keeps looking nice. That I know - by comparing my different bikes - and different quality of PC on'em.

mtbr member

car finishes...

aren't dipped on, with exception of possibly the primer coat. They spray cars in huge robotozied booths, the bake the hell out of the paint.

I guess to each his or her own. I'll take a nice paint job over powdercoat any day!

MC

Quote Originally Posted by Axe
    Autos are painted cause it can be done more efficiently. They just dip it into big pool of paint, righh? ( I should admit I do not really know. ) No baking

Powder coat is much more durable, and when done well, looks really nice. And keeps looking nice. That I know - by comparing my different bikes - and different quality of PC on'em.

Cold. Blue. Steel.

of course not!

Quote Originally Posted by bluecruz
    from the surly website

Single-Speed 1x1
    Nobody wants to spend a bunch of cash on a single-speed...and why should they? To do so is contrary to the whole spirit of the single-speed experience. At Surly we have known this for years and are continuing to offer our excellent 1x1 single-speed frameset. The 1x1 features a beefy, double-butted 100% cro-moly suspension-corrected frame and 1-1/8" hard fork with very nice black or white powder coating and cool white decals.
    Of course Surly doesn't want you to have money to spend on a SS...
    'cause you wouldn't buy a Surly if you did! Instead, you would go with a Se7en or an IF or a Sycip or a Chester or a Strong or a... you get the idea. They are a fine company, but they represent one angle of SS.

check out this link about powder coating. it is even more environmentally correct than a painting procedure. http://strongframes.com/index.php?ge...%20Fabrication
    Spinning and Grinning...