A Surly Downunder- Mtbr.com
    TR
    Angry bunny

A Surly Downunder

Well I have mentioned that I was soon to be a proud Surly 1x1 owner in a few other threads and now it is time to show off my baby.
    I bought the frame, wheels, some tools and a rigid Surly fork from Mellowcat (thanks for putting up with my will I, won't I indecision for so long) and had him ship the lot to Mattman in LA.
    Over the next couple of months he and I managed to locate some bargains via ebay, Supergo/Jenson/Performance specials and a bike shop that was shutting down that Matt found.

Obligatory bike leaning against an inanimate object.

$16 Pazzaz cold forged stem, $19 FSA Orbit XLII headset and Fast Freddy topcap.

My Surly and Mattman's Solo One at play on the Fullerton Loop.

Specifications of the current build for those who are interested:
    2004 Surly 1x1 20" frame
    2004 Marzocchi MXComp ETA fork (may get swapped out for 80mm Noleen Mega Air)
    Sun Mach IV rims with Shimano front and no name rear hub.
    IRC Trailbear 2.3" tyres
    Avid Mechanical Disc brakes front and rear
    Performance Forte Team levers (seem to be an AD5 copy and do the job)
    Answer Pro Taper carbon bar ($55 at the closing down bike shop.......BARGAIN!!!!!)
    Pazzaz stem
    FSA Orbit XLI headset (Not as WOW as a CK but it was anodised blue and had some good reviews. I also could not go past it for $19)
    Fast Freddy stem cap (anodised blue)
    ODI Rogue lock on's (more anodised blue)
    Thomson seatpost (ebay bargain at about $35 shipped to LA)
    WTB Rocket V Comp (pricematched by Bikeco for $20....another bargain)
    Avid Flak Jacket cables
    2003 XT cranks (175mm)
    Blue Crank Brothers Candy pedals

A big thank you to Mattman and his wife Kathy. Matt gave me huge help with building my bike; took me riding while I was in LA; took my family and I on a tour of the local sights; had us to his house for dinner; shuttled me to Supergo, Performance and The Path; put up with my indecisiveness about an SS or a new geary, conversion vs SS specific, IRO, BUSS, 1x1 or Unit; bought gear on my behalf and even spent the time on our last night in LA to collect me from my hotel drive back to his home, gather all my gear up, drive me all the way back to my hotel and help me to box it all up in preparation for the trip.

Thanks Matt. Will definitely keep in touch.
    Cheers!!
    Last edited by toowoombarider; 10-24-2004 at 03:19 PM.

King Pin

Smile Ahhh......

The "Fullerton Loop"!

I've many a fond memory of said loop. Cut my MTB teeth on that particular trail nigh on eighteen years ago, whilst riding with RC and the crew!

Bob Nickelsen/Royce Carlson/Billy Broadfoot and the like have since transferred up here to Preskit.....any names recognizable?? WTF is Eddie Rae?? One-eyed John??

The memories...........ahh...sweet memories!

AussieLostInNyc

Sweeeeet looking bike

I new you were putting it together from various posts and looks like it was all worth it!
    Sweet looking ride and I know it's going to provide lotsa fun.
    I would love to see some photo's of it in action, also let's me see a bit of home
    Take it easy (or not),
    Gumby
    www.nycmtb.com
    .....spreading the love

Steamroller

Nice Pics, but it looked better in my garage.

I'm kind of sad to go into my garage and not see your bike Steve. The neighbor's cat still come in and pees where it used to be. While there is no shortage of bikes in my garage, I think I put as much time and love into your Surly as I have into any of my bikes. I kind of wish I had taken it for at least one real ride. It was fun to help you get it together and great to get to know you and your family on your visit.

Did you have the opportunity to impress the customs agents in New Zealand with how we had disinfected the tires to avoid quarantine or hassles?

Did you ever figure out the total cost of the bike? People say you can't build a good bike for what you can buy it complete for, but I think you may have done it on this one. Just don't put a price on all the hours spent on-line getting the best possible price on every piece. Matt

P.S. (just kidding the cat only pees on my gearys)
    Two Wheeled and Too Big

TR
    Angry bunny
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattman
    P.S. (just kidding the cat only pees on my gearys)
    Understandable really.

No idea on the price and dont really care. I am guessing about $1200 though.
    I am loving it too!!
    The customs guy in Australia said it was good that we had disinfected it but pulled it all apart anyway. He was more interested in whether there was mud up under the seat than anything much else.

Why didn'y you take my bike for a decent test ride?? You should have asked (and I should have offered )

Will be back in touch soon I think. I still think I should have got that helmet and I will also be looking for a workstand and wheel trueing stand.

Talk soon.

cheers!!

an eagle in your mind
    Aug 2004
    more pics of the solo-one ?

(was) Big in Japan

Ssssswwweeeeeetttttttt

Dude, that was definitely worth the wait! Damn gorgeous!

You'll love that handlebar, best I have ever used, three years and still going strong. Feels like an inch more suspension.

When you take it out with the MTBDirt crew, say HI to Wenji for me!

Cheers,

Chris
    Last edited by TheSingleGuy; 10-25-2004 at 02:40 AM. Reason: beer and spelling don't mix
    Ride.

TR
    Angry bunny
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSingleGuy
    Dude, that was definitely worth the wait! Damn gorgeous!

You'll love that handlebar, best I have ever used, three years and still going strong. Feels like an inch more suspension.

When you take it out with the MTBDirt crew, say HI to Wenji for me!

Cheers,

Chris
    Thanks for your comments Chris.
    I will see Wenji this weekend so will say G'day for you.

mtbr member
    Those Candy SLs go perfectly with the color of the tarp in that last picture.

Nice looking ride as well.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Very Nice

Great to see another Australian (I'm an Australian living in Canada) with a new SS.

Now get out there and ride as much as possible and convert more Aussie's over to SS, so when I move back everyone will be "one gear only"(you've got 10 years).

Good Luck.

Steamroller

Solo-one

Quote Originally Posted by redfooj
    I'll try to post some of it tomorrow.
    Two Wheeled and Too Big

semi-evolved simian
    She's a beaut, nice job with the colour scheme!

Where did you get those blue ano ODI lock ons ?

TR
    Angry bunny
    Quote Originally Posted by Mine'sAPint
    She's a beaut, nice job with the colour scheme!

Where did you get those blue ano ODI lock ons ?
    Jenson. It was the only place I could find them though.

TR
    Angry bunny
    Here is another one that I had.

an eagle in your mind
    Aug 2004
    hows that thomson post working ? is it snug with the s-tube or does it slip & slide like the stocker? i hate the stiff constrictor/clamp/collar thingy and the seattube that just drops once u release the clamp!

TR
    Angry bunny
    hows that thomson post working ? is it snug with the s-tube or does it slip & slide like the stocker? i hate the stiff constrictor/clamp/collar thingy and the seattube that just drops once u release the clamp!
    Have not noticed any slippage at all.
    It fits very tightly though. Almost looks as though someone has crimped in the seatpost tube at the opening at some time.

Oops just realized that your question may have been directed at Mattman and the seatpost on his Solo One. If so please ignore my post.

mtbr member

Back when..

I did have some issues with the Thompson post on the Surly. Seems that if you take most of the grease off your seatpost the problem went away though.

Steamroller

More of the Solo One

Here you go, I took a few pics this morning. Not quite your stock Solo-one, upgrades include;
    Marzocchi MX Pro ETA fork
    180mm XT crank
    Changed gearing to 32x18 with White rear freewheel
    Thomson stem and post
    MaxM carbon riser DH bars
    Odi Ruffian Lock on grips
    Singletrack solutions bar ends ( not sure I like them yet)
    Avid mech front disc brake
    Avid Arch Rival rear V brakes
    It works fine for me for now, but I'm dreaming of an SS 29r
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Two Wheeled and Too Big

TR
    Angry bunny
    Did a little remodelling last night with this result

The 80mm fork will take some getting used to vs the 105mm Marzocchi but I am looking forward to it.

mtbr member

I Liked it...

better that way, at least for most rides!

I would recommend you try the rigid for at least 3 rides before making a judgement on it. You'll be amazed at how much your pace speeds up as you get more confident with it. Climbing is real nice too.

Quote Originally Posted by toowoombarider

The 80mm fork will take some getting used to vs the 105mm Marzocchi but I am looking forward to it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

TR
    Angry bunny
    Will definitely do that.
    Just need to get some spacers for the brake caliper bolts so that they dont rub on the rotors.
    Lucky I found that out while the bike was still on the stand.

mtbr member

Yeah...

the Avid mounting bolts are too long when attaching the caliper to a steel fork. I have the same issue with my Vicious too as I did with the Surly.

Will definitely do that.
    Just need to get some spacers for the brake caliper bolts so that they dont rub on the rotors.
    Lucky I found that out while the bike was still on the stand.

uncompliant

That looks much better!

They always look better rigid

Here's my recent new build... fancy kit as it was an insurance funded replacement to my last one which had a bit of an accident on the way home from the EuroSS champs in Aviemore (NB they don't like hitting roads at over 80mph!)

TR
    Angry bunny
    That is very nice. I do like the pink Surly's but am happy with my Big Black Bike.
    Yeah I am keen to ride mine rigid but am not sure that I will always want to ride her that way.

uncompliant
    It was pink or black for me (I've decided white bikes are unlucky!)... and my friendly bike shop (plug) had a pink one waiting for me so it seemed churlish to refuse

The rigid Surly f + f combo is really very well mannered so I'm pretty sure you'll enjoy it... how long for is the question I suppose! There's no debate for me, I've always ridden rigid - I just enjoy it more that sus

TR
    Angry bunny
    I think I have areas where I ride that will be suitable for it and other areas where it will not.
    I also have areas where the SS is just not suitable full stop which is why I retain my Giant NRS full squishy gearie.
    Horses for courses I suppose.
    With the option of the Marzocchi MXComp; the Surly rigid fork and the NRS it is like having 3 very different bikes.

uncompliant
    I think I have areas where I ride that will be suitable for it and other areas where it will not.
    I also have areas where the SS is just not suitable full stop which is why I retain my Giant NRS full squishy gearie.
    With the option of the Marzocchi MXComp; the Surly rigid fork and the NRS it is like having 3 very different bikes.
    That's definitely a nice combo to be working with - I tend to just ride everything on the one (ss) bike as I just get frustrated when I switch to my geary with sus forks... it's just never quite what I want.

I've only got wistful for bounce once recently - riding this trail...

(that's not me btw)

More pics here

(That's me in pink... not my jersey!)

But I still enjoyed it (in a challenging way!) fully rigid

Gone riding
    Jan 2004
    Hey Toowoombarider!

I love the build - you've done a sweet job!! The FF stem cap is a nice touch I guess it's a but early to tell, but what do you think of the pro tapers so far?? Hopefully there will be a few more Aussie SS builds in the future......

Give us a ride report when you've "broken" it in!

Cheers, Dave
    Last edited by Low_Rider; 11-04-2004 at 05:50 AM. Reason: spelling

mtbr member

Not sure where in Oz...

...you are but my main man Ozlongboarder (Ivan B) just left MN/USA to return to New Castle (Newcastle?), OZ yesterday.

He's got a Surly KM SS and his spanking new Turner 5S w/ Maverick in tow.

He's prospectively bumming at the riding prospects near his hometown so I'm sure he'll be down for road trips.

Sean
    Professional Amateur

TR
    Angry bunny
    Quote Originally Posted by Low_Rider
    Hey Toowoombarider!

I love the build - you've done a sweet job!! The FF stem cap is a nice touch I guess it's a but early to tell, but what do you think of the pro tapers so far?? Hopefully there will be a few more Aussie SS builds in the future......

Give us a ride report when you've "broken" it in!

Cheers, Dave
    Initially I was concerned that they would not be wide enough or have enough rise but so far I love the Pro Tapers.
    In fact I find them more comfortable than the Eastons on my geary.

TR
    Angry bunny
    Quote Originally Posted by Soupboy
    ...you are but my main man Ozlongboarder (Ivan B) just left MN/USA to return to New Castle (Newcastle?), OZ yesterday.

He's got a Surly KM SS and his spanking new Turner 5S w/ Maverick in tow.

He's prospectively bumming at the riding prospects near his hometown so I'm sure he'll be down for road trips.

Sean
    Ozlongboarder is about 8 hours south of me so not sure he will be wanting to roadtrip this far afield.
    I am sure that he will find someone to ride with though. There is some beautiful countryside not that far away from him down there.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Don't be such a nancy pants, you COULD ride your ss on all the trails we ride on, I do... I even use mine on the trainer at spin class, that get's some weird looks

mtbr member
    May 2004
    How does the Solo One soft tail ride compared to the hard tail Surly?

TR
    Angry bunny
    Quote Originally Posted by onegearmorebeer
    Unfortunately Mattman and I both realised after I returned home that neither of us rode the others bike any more than 100m on sealed road so unfortunately neither of us can probably comment.

D'Oh!!!!!

Steamroller

Soft tail is nice

Quote Originally Posted by onegearmorebeer
    Like TR said we did not really ride each others bikes enough to compare, but I have owned and ridden other hardtails and personally I like the little bit of travel on the soft tail. I think it helps keep the traction to the rear wheel on climbs and takes the edge off the little stutter bumps when you are seated. I have not noticed any significant loss of climbing efficiency.

The only negative I've found is that every few months I have to squirt a bit of lube in the rear shock or it starts to squeek like mad. It is bound to wear out eventually, but I bet it will take years and then it is just an elastomer, so it should be cheap to replace. Since there are moving parts and fasteners there may the possibility of failure at some point. I think the extra comfort is what makes me like it though.
    Two Wheeled and Too Big