Surly Dingle cog, a mini-review.- Mtbr.com
    Te mortuo heres tibi sim?

Surly Dingle cog, a mini-review.

So I ordered one of these int he 17/21 size, and a new 9 speed SRAM something or other chain. In conjunction with a 42T NOS REAL unramped ring I had sitting around in the parts bin, things bolted up nice and tight. I think I might actually want a 44T up front, but the 42 was there already, so...

It went on this:

The front ring is on the inside of the crank mount bits, and run backwards. The Dingle cog went on sans spacers, but lotsa' grease, and lotsa' torque on the lockring. Standard Surly lockring snugged up just fine, all the threads engaged. The chainline sites right smack in between the two cogs in back.

Around the block testing with both cogs had no issues with slippage/untoward drive noise. Rode to work tonight in the 42x17 setup without any trouble, including a few good, long, hard stops. Event hough it'll be a little low for the road, I'll swap to the 21T for the spin home in the morning to make sure of no trouble there.

Since my hub is a fixed/free, and I don't want to do the BB lockring/loctite thing on the free side (or buy a new wheel) this seemed like a good way to get a road/trail fixed setup, and I still have the freewheel for total wuss times if needed. Not super cheap, but then, it's still cheaper than a new double fixed rear wheel.

If'n my local testing ground dries out anytime soon, I'll be able to give a better review with some actual ride time on the setup. For the fixie haters (and you know who you are!) I say this: suck it!
    Last edited by scrublover; 03-08-2007 at 09:55 PM.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

voodoo child
    Thanks for the review. I'm intrigued by the DS cog, and will probably be adding one to the collection soon enough.

It's cool to see someone running it as a 1x2 drivetrain. I am on the fence about going this route vs. the 2x2 setup as suggested on the Surly site. Clearly the chainline won't be spot-on with the 1x2, but I'm not super-anal about that.

Will be interested in some medium/long term impressions.
    "Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." -Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Quote Originally Posted by pauly
    Thanks for the review. I'm intrigued by the DS cog, and will probably be adding one to the collection soon enough.

It's cool to see someone running it as a 1x2 drivetrain. I am on the fence about going this route vs. the 2x2 setup as suggested on the Surly site. Clearly the chainline won't be spot-on with the 1x2, but I'm not super-anal about that.

Will be interested in some medium/long term impressions.
    i truly think the only long term (potential) issue may be faster wear, from a not so super straight chainline on either cog. i don't imagine it'll make that big a difference though. of course that will end up depending on how much mileage you're putting ont he setup.

dropping the chain doesn't appear that it will be any problem at all, so long as you do a good initial setup, and keep on top of maintaining things.

Really I am that slow

Thinking about ordering the 17-23 =)

I think my eeb would take up that much chain....

I'll be interested in checking it out in the flesh soon....
    Read my BLOG!

just a guy who loves bikes and exploring

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    what in the hell is going on with that headtube?

mtbr member
    Is that the 120mm or 135mm rear spacing Pomp?

135mm spacing on the back. surly hubs converted to QR axles, running bolt on 5mm allen key skewers. gnurled steel faces on the rear ones; no slippage of the rear wheel that way. much easier than carrying a wrench for the stock nutted axles, not to mention way lighter.

headtube? nothing bit. i like the slacker handling, coming from mtb stuff, so...

it's a headtube extender (normally goes up top so that you use fewer spacers; it goes into the frame, then the headset goes into it) i just used it to slacken the front a bit more. so we have a 1-1/8" headtube, with problem solvers reducer cups for 1". then we have the extender bit, then the headset cups. it's solid. this is the second frame i've had the same setup in, and it's works fine. already had all the 1" stuff including the fork, and it was way cheaper to use the reducer cups than to buy all new fork/headset and so on. oh yeah, and the thomson stem is shimmed down for the 1" steer tube.

it's all a funky setup, but it works for me, and has been the same on two frames now without any issues.

oh yeah: rode home in the lower gear this morning. trying to get the chain to drop/slip, and couldn't do it. seems to be a solid setup. i'll try it out on some dirt hopefully soon.

mtbr member
    Cool. I have the 135mm as well and the chain line is pretty far off with stock setup(Truvativ road cranks and BB). I am only running SS so not much of an issue for me. What size BB you running?

Quote Originally Posted by FrontRanger
    Cool. I have the 135mm as well and the chain line is pretty far off with stock setup(Truvativ road cranks and BB). I am only running SS so not much of an issue for me. What size BB you running?
    i think it's a 107mm. raceface taperloc ti, with the somewhat adjustable chainline. using one of them on both of my fixies. works great to fine tune things without resorting to spacers and so on. i didn't even adjust it for the new cog. put the cog on, and with the 42t ring on the inside of the crank, and run backwards/turned around/whatever, everything lined right up how i wanted it to anyhow.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the review. I love using my Pompino as a commuter so this is an intriguing option to consider.

Members who have read this thread: 1