Surly 1x1 Snow Bike?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Surly 1x1 Snow Bike?

I currently have a Surly 1x1 and am looking to build a snow bike to run over cross country skiers/hippies. I see that many people have put large marge rims on them and ran 3" tires... but, unlike all the builds i saw, i am stuck with canti posts and no disc mounts in the rear. I currently have it set up as a disc in front and flip flop with a u-brake in the rear.

I am not so much concerned about rear brake clearance (probably just remove the rear brake and run fixed); more about frame clearance. I know it is possible to cram large marge rims into a frame without canti posts... but can i get away with not chopping them (since i need them for summer riding)? Would it help if i went for a smaller diameter rim (24" like the rat ride)? Any other rim/tire/brake solutions that could work??

Thanks!
    Jasper

is buachail foighneach me
    46-48mm wide trials rims, or 50mm wide single walled snow rims from speedway cycles(I think they still offer them in 26", maybe not though). They should fit fine and spread out your favorite tire a bunch so that you can run lower pressure. I wouldn't put a 24" wheel in the 1 x 1 myself, and I think, though I'm not sure, that you would still have rim/brake post clearance issues in doing so. A 26" rim in a 29" frame lines up directly with the brake posts.

You could always chop the brake posts and get disk tabs and a reinforcement added on in the summer.

mtbr member
    I run 2.5 on a WTB Dual Duty rim, runs pretty damn good in the snow at low pressure.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JasperGB
    I am looking to build a snow bike to run over cross country skiers/hippies.
    why the hate? without others out there in the snow, there's nobody to compress the snow down below your pedals.

i ride in the snow quite alot. fixed is the way to go, no need for brakes if you're worried about clearance.

in most situations you won't keep up with skiiers, let alone ride over them.

Quote Originally Posted by Cygnus
    why the hate? without others out there in the snow, there's nobody to compress the snow down below your pedals.

i ride in the snow quite alot. fixed is the way to go, no need for brakes if you're worried about clearance.

in most situations you won't keep up with skiiers, let alone ride over them.

Cyclists win nearly all the winter races that include skiers and runners. Skiing is only faster when the trail is really soft. Though, maybe you would be slower than them on a fixed gear.... And skiers technically* aren't the ones making the trails, big machines are. Or snowmachines/mobiles.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    You could buy a new 1x1 fork with disk tabs... $55 at Tree Fort Bikes ain't bad. You might even get a few bucks out of your used fork.

Where are you riding that you desire dedicated snow wheels? Having ridden in western NY and central PA winters, I have found regular wheels work fine. I have run 2.4" mountain kings and 2.35 Neo-motos (basically a Rampage) in the snow without trouble. The MKs were on a set of 717's and the motos on a Blunt/P35 set.

Of course if you're running into deep powder where you live (>~4") I could understand why you would want some more float.
    Stache 7 --- Rigid Surly 1x1 B+ --- Dirt Drop CrossCheck

mtbr member
    I currently have a Surly 1x1 and am looking to build a snow bike to run over cross country skiers/hippies. I see that many people have put large marge rims on them and ran 3" tires... but, unlike all the builds i saw, i am stuck with canti posts and no disc mounts in the rear. I currently have it set up as a disc in front and flip flop with a u-brake in the rear.

I am not so much concerned about rear brake clearance (probably just remove the rear brake and run fixed); more about frame clearance. I know it is possible to cram large marge rims into a frame without canti posts... but can i get away with not chopping them (since i need them for summer riding)? Would it help if i went for a smaller diameter rim (24" like the rat ride)? Any other rim/tire/brake solutions that could work??

Thanks!
    Jasper
    If I were you, I would try to keep whatever wheels you have and just see how big of a tire you can fit in the frame. Buying a couple of tires will be a lot cheaper than buying a new set of wheels. The picture below shows what I did. Although it is a 29er frame, I put a set of SS 26" wheels tires on it. The fork is a Salsa 26" one, and fits an Endomorph (3.7"), so your Surly fork should also fit that. The back is a trickier. You could start with a WTB Timberwolf 2.7 tire and see how it fits. If you have more room, try an Arrow Savage 3.0 DH tire, even if you trim some knobs, the extra volume helps. I am running a Nokian Gazzaloddi 3.0 in the back with the outer set of knobs trimmed off. I am also running fixed, so go for it.
    Good luck!
    Mark
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Surly 1x1 Snow Bike?-fff-front-side.jpg  

mtbr member

Thanks!
    Jasper

Is the problem with the rear disc your hub? If you are positive you want fixed, buy a Surly Fixed/Disc hub and lace that wheel up to a Large Marge. Then get a rear disc brake and chop off your cantis.
    My motorcycle runs on infant blood

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    To clarify - i live in NE Wisconsin; lots of snow and LOTS of snowmobile trails. I don't want to chop my canti posts because a) no disc mounts in the rear and b) i like running a flip/flop in the summer. My fork is currently set up with a BB7 so i could chop those posts without much heartache... the rear is my concern.

I have been doing a bit of research on rims and came accross these: http://www.trails-edge.com/retail/bi...heels_rims.htm Can anyone comment on the durability? Weight? Etc? They are 48mm wide as opposed to 65mm on the large marge... anyone have any direct comparison between the two?

Oh, and for the record, no hate for xc skiers (i am one) - hippies on the other hand...

Those rims are pretty bomber. I have a similar set that I've run with 26 x 3" downhill tires in my Karate Monkey. They'll fit in your bike, but you might have to get creative with how you setup your brakes to get the pads to line up. Magura HS-33's will work fine on them. The Marges are heavier, wider, and probably a bit beefier, but wont fit in your frame.

mtbr member
    To clarify - i live in NE Wisconsin; lots of snow and LOTS of snowmobile trails. I don't want to chop my canti posts because a) no disc mounts in the rear and b) i like running a flip/flop in the summer. My fork is currently set up with a BB7 so i could chop those posts without much heartache... the rear is my concern.

I have been doing a bit of research on rims and came accross these: http://www.trails-edge.com/retail/bi...heels_rims.htm Can anyone comment on the durability? Weight? Etc? They are 48mm wide as opposed to 65mm on the large marge... anyone have any direct comparison between the two?

Oh, and for the record, no hate for xc skiers (i am one) - hippies on the other hand...
    Those are Echo Trials rims, and you can get them $20 cheaper at Webcyclery:

http://www.webcyclery.com/product.ph...7&cat=0&page=1

I remember reading of at least one person on here that has used them succesfully. They are meant for trials riding, so I think they will be plenty strong.

Mark

Opps! Looks like I linked to the 20" rims. I know they used to cary the same rims in 26", but cannot find them right now. I'm sure a websearch of 26" and Echo will find something.

mtbr member
    ...invented mt bikes in marin county.

...invented 26" wheeled mt bikes in marin county.
    Mountain biking has been around as long as bikes have been around. Pavement and road riding is just a fad that's been popular for the last 80 -90 years or so.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sean salach
    Mountain biking has been around as long as bikes have been around.
    in a sense, yes, but the off road movement that spawned the industry began in the 1970s in CA and CO.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History...ountain_biking

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    in a sense, yes, but the off road movement that spawned the industry began in the 1970s in CA and CO.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History...ountain_biking
    Well whether that is true or not doesn't change the fact that Alaskans invented snow bikes to run over hippies. It is science...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sean salach
    Mountain biking has been around as long as bikes have been around. Pavement and road riding is just a fad that's been popular for the last 80 -90 years or so.
    So have hippies!

mtbr member
    Jan 2010

mtbr member
    Well whether that is true or not doesn't change the fact that Alaskans invented snow bikes to run over hippies. It is science...
    nice try. i've been living in alaska since the mid 1980s. trolling here is usually directed at salmon.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    nice try. i've been living in alaska since the mid 1980s. trolling here is usually directed at salmon.
    Not trolling - just messing with ya I mean no disrespect...

Members who have read this thread: 0