Surly 1x1 owners-need size advice- Mtbr.com
    RMG
    mtbr member

Surly 1x1 owners-need size advice

Can you tell me what size you are riding relative to your height in this frame?
    I am going back and forth with this.
    I am 5'7 1/2" and I am pretty sure that corresponds to a 16" (small ) surly 1x1.
    I have been told though that I could probably fit a medium which is 18" according to Surly.
    Any ideas?

Edit: I want to use it for strictly local trail riding- rooty, single track, no crazy hill climbing here though.
    Last edited by RMG; 10-21-2005 at 07:03 AM.

Chillin the Most
    Jan 2004
    6'3" riding a 20"(large). Good luck.

I like to ride bikes!
    I'm 5' 8", rode a medium, loved it! I had a custom TI built to nearly the same specs!
    the TT is 23"and I used a 130mm stem. Its not really a very long TT.
    I supose it also depends on the type of riding your doing. I do mostly XC.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    5'6" and ride a small. Perfect fit.

Maurice

Hoopy Frood

Sizing

Height: 178 cm (5'10")
    Cycling Inseam: 84 cm (33.1")

I ride a 20" (Large) Surly 1x1 with a 105mm stem.

I used to ride a Fisher hardtail with a 23.9" top tube. I then upgraded to a Gunnar Rockhound with a 23.6" top tube. Since the 20" 1x1 also had a tt length of 23.6", that's what I picked.

It fits great. A little less standover than my Rockhound but not so little that I'm worrying about reproductive issues.

- khill
    I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it. - Thomas Jefferson

Sofa King We Todd Did
    I'm 5'4" and I ride a 16" 1x1. The fit is perfect in every way. I'd go one size bigger if I were you.

"Mr. Britannica"
    Quote Originally Posted by RMG
    I am 5'7 1/2" and I am pretty sure that corresponds to a 16" (small ) surly 1x1.
    I have been told though that I could probably fit a medium which is 18" according to Surly.
    Any ideas?

Edit: I want to use it for strictly local trail riding- rooty, single track, no crazy hill climbing here though.

I'd suggest looking at STA and TT, and comparing to a ride that you are comfortable on. There's alot more than height to consider when sizing a frame (athough prob more wiggle room for mtn bikes). Don't be blinded by the pink and certainly don't convince yourself that you could fit a frame that isn't the right size.

RMG
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by roadiegonebad
    I'd suggest looking at STA and TT, and comparing to a ride that you are comfortable on. There's alot more than height to consider when sizing a frame (athough prob more wiggle room for mtn bikes). Don't be blinded by the pink and certainly don't convince yourself that you could fit a frame that isn't the right size.

Holy CATZ man...I never said it was pink...damn...what are you psychic!!??

Thanks though. I have measured and measured trying to figure out ANYway to make that medium fit me. Unless I grow taller in the next few weeks, that size is just too big for me considering what I currently ride and feel comfortable on. I didn't want to accept it, but it's the hard truth. And yes...it was the pink color that made me do it.

Thanks all for your help.
    Last edited by RMG; 10-21-2005 at 01:26 PM.

cyclemaven.net

Your proportions can make a difference...

I'm also 5'4", like SpinWheelZ, but I have an XS that fits me beautifully. This is because I have a very short torso and long legs. I needed the virtual top tube to be short.
    Donate now!
    I'm a roadie this year for AIDS LifeCycle. Find out more by going here:
    http://girlmeetsbike.org

Sofa King We Todd Did
    And therein lies the difference between men and women, folks. Kallisti's got the ubiquitous long legs everyone fancies one a woman. Me, my knuckles drag on the floor like the neanderthal that I am. Hence, the 14" for Kallisti, the 16" for me. Done and done.

King Pin

New question here. Eh.

Surly makes "little bikes" too???? WTF?

Quote Originally Posted by SpinWheelz
    And therein lies the difference between men and women, folks. Kallisti's got the ubiquitous long legs everyone fancies one a woman. Me, my knuckles drag on the floor like the neanderthal that I am. Hence, the 14" for Kallisti, the 16" for me. Done and done.

People of zee wurl,Relax!

I'm the same height. Go 16

I'm also 5' 7" 1/2 and test rode the 18. It felt really good but I would be more comfortable on the 16. I personally like a small bike for the trails here in Colorado. I feel more in control.

cyclemaven.net

Indeed

And therein lies the difference between men and women, folks. Kallisti's got the ubiquitous long legs everyone fancies one a woman.
    Well said sir.
    Me, my knuckles drag on the floor like the neanderthal that I am. Hence, the 14" for Kallisti, the 16" for me. Done and done.
    Good gosh, man, the imagery you conjure up. At least my legs aren't that long...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Donate now!
    I'm a roadie this year for AIDS LifeCycle. Find out more by going here:
    http://girlmeetsbike.org

the original big ring

Any one 5'10" ish?

This thread got me wondering if I'm making the right choice.
    I'm building a 1x1 too (haven't started it yet - just deciding on the parts, etc.). I'm 5'10" ish (5' 10.5" to be exact!) and spoke to my LBS as to what size I should get. If I go by what I ride now, '04 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, I should be taking a large. I ride rooty, rocky, technical stuff - not alot of hills. The mechanic thought that by going to a medium and using a Thomson layback seatpost that I'd be able to throw the bike around more and still have room across the top. I am worried about the SO height, compared to my present ride, hence another reason to go to the medium. Will a medium be too small or just right?
    Any thoughts?
    Cheers.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Barley
    I'm building a 1x1 too (haven't started it yet - just deciding on the parts, etc.). I'm 5'10" ish (5' 10.5" to be exact!) and spoke to my LBS as to what size I should get.
    I'm 5' 11.5" and I'm riding a Med. 18" 1x1 with a Thomson layback seatpost, feels just right to me. All my bikes have been 18" and all have seemed right for me.
    Last edited by dumbaSS; 10-22-2005 at 09:35 AM.

Obi
    -_-
    Oct 2005

Idea! Just like Kallisti..

Quote Originally Posted by Kallisti
    I'm also 5'4", like SpinWheelZ, but I have an XS that fits me beautifully. This is because I have a very short torso and long legs. I needed the virtual top tube to be short.
    Byklvr and I have the same issue(prefer to call it an attractive trait), non normal torso/leg length relationship. Where do you live? I'm ordering the xs after riding Byklvr's, email him and see if he'll let you take it for a quick test ride. (SF Bay Area)

[email protected]

Peace!

Seth

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I'm......

I'm building a 1x1 too (haven't started it yet - just deciding on the parts, etc.). I'm 5'10" ish (5' 10.5" to be exact!) and spoke to my LBS as to what size I should get. If I go by what I ride now, '04 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, I should be taking a large. I ride rooty, rocky, technical stuff - not alot of hills. The mechanic thought that by going to a medium and using a Thomson layback seatpost that I'd be able to throw the bike around more and still have room across the top. I am worried about the SO height, compared to my present ride, hence another reason to go to the medium. Will a medium be too small or just right?
    Any thoughts?
    Cheers.
    6' even And when I had a 1X1 it was a med. and I felt great on it.

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004

large

Any ideas?

I'm on a 20" (large) and I'm just a shade over 6 feet tall. However, my last large 1x1 frame I bought from a guy who is about 5'10" and he thought a large was too big for him, but the medium felt perfect for him. At 5' 7.5", you may want to consider the small.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005

5' 10" with an 18" 1x1

I'm 5'10", and I ride an 18" 1x1. It fits perfect. I also have a 19" Stumpjumper FSR, and I think it's a little big. I don't feel near as comfortable on it as I do my 1x1. When I built my 1x1, I had purchased a set back thomson, but after getting it built I sold it(the seatpost) and bought a straight thomson. The set back seatpost made me feel too streched out (also, my stem is 5 degree, 120mm if that helps any).

Reformed car junkie
    Sep 2004
    IM 5'9" maybe 5'10 if my hair is on end that day. I ride a 18" 1X1. I would prefer a 16 as I like a small, chuckable bike. However my upper body is longer in relationship to my lower and I kinda feel like im sitting on my hands. And sitting way to up right. My standover isnt that great, but I feel that a TT thats the proper length is more important anyway, so I live. That and I cant wait till the funds allow me to get the new imbreed.

mtbr member
    I'm 5'10"ish and ride a 18" 1x1 with a 90mm stem. I usually feel more comfortable with shorter top tubes, maybe because my arms are short?

Obi
    -_-
    Oct 2005

New question here. Well, so tell us, what're you gonna pick up RMG?

I'm curious, I still need to finalize an order on which size and am open to others input. I still think the 14's a good choice for me, but haven't put a lot of time into a ss before.

RMG
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by obi.one.speed.only
    I'm curious, I still need to finalize an order on which size and am open to others input. I still think the 14's a good choice for me, but haven't put a lot of time into a ss before.
    As much as I covet that pink frame, I have only been able to find it in the medium. From what I am hearing here, it is too big for me. I am going to go for the small-16 inch instead.
    I ride the "small" solo one and feel comfortable with the way that size fits me so I am going to stick with a small in the 1x1.
    If I can't find a used pink frame in small, I will see what I can do with a white one and a can of spray paint.

Obi
    -_-
    Oct 2005

Idea!

As much as I covet that pink frame, I have only been able to find it in the medium. From what I am hearing here, it is too big for me. I am going to go for the small-16 inch instead.
    I ride the "small" solo one and feel comfortable with the way that size fits me so I am going to stick with a small in the 1x1.
    If I can't find a used pink frame in small, I will see what I can do with a white one and a can of spray paint.
    You should check with Surly. The paint isn't covered anyways, and I'm sure you could either order one in pink or have it repainted pink. I think thats the best since rattle can finishes need patience and time to come out really good.

Let me know what you do.

the original big ring

I think that pink is no more . . .

Check Surly's web page. I was on their blog a while back (I believe an August blog) and they mentioned that they were not doing any more bikes in pink.

Obi
    -_-
    Oct 2005

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead!

Check Surly's web page. I was on their blog a while back (I believe an August blog) and they mentioned that they were not doing any more bikes in pink.

Eric and Adam said: "there was some thought to it because of Chris King bringing back the pink headset as it was such a success."

I'm sure with enough peer pressure they'll do it.

Members who have read this thread: 2