surly 1x1 owners help me out on stem size!- Mtbr.com
    zeebot

surly 1x1 owners help me out on stem size!

I ordered an 18" surly and i cant decide which stem size to get. I'm just looking for what others use on theirs so i can atleast get a good ballpark guess and then go from there...

i was debating between the 20" and the 18". i've always used 18" before on hardtails so i was leaning towards it but the eff TT on the surly seems to be shorter than other geometrys but other than the TT it seemed to fit right in with what i'm used to. i'm going to use an easton ec70 350mm seatpost that has about 43mm offset so right there will extend the reach a bit.

I'm 6' and generally dress shirt sizes are 34 sleeve length to give you an idea of my reach...

I'm thinking 120mm with a 5 degree rise right now and if it's no good i'll just have to swallow a few dollar loss and sell the thomson stem on ebay.

I am the owl
    My setup: 18" 1x1 w/ 120x0 degree Salsa Steel SUL stem w/ about 1 inch of spacers (going by memory here) and a Profile Ultra FR 60mm riser bar. Tops of bars are about level w/ my seat. 6-0.5 height, think my arms about 34 but who knows.
    SingleSpeedOutlaw .com
    Riding Bikes and Drinking Beer.

zeebot
    Quote Originally Posted by riderx
    My setup: 18" 1x1 w/ 120x0 degree Salsa Steel SUL stem w/ about 1 inch of spacers (going by memory here) and a Profile Ultra FR 60mm riser bar. Tops of bars are about level w/ my seat. 6-0.5 height, think my arms about 34 but who knows.
    Do you think the 350mm seatpost will be enough in your opinion or should i try to find a 400mm seatpost instead? I really want to stick with the carbon or if i have to splurge on something like the moots ti setback for a bit longer length..

I am the owl
    Quote Originally Posted by Spookykinkajou
    Do you think the 350mm seatpost will be enough in your opinion or should i try to find a 400mm seatpost instead? I really want to stick with the carbon or if i have to splurge on something like the moots ti setback for a bit longer length..
    I think I have a 350 on there, it's a Bontrager post of some sort. Can't check it though, the bike is on it's way to KC for the Summit Festival.
    SingleSpeedOutlaw .com
    Riding Bikes and Drinking Beer.

mtbr member

My experience

Spooky:

I'm 6"1 with 34" sleeves as well. I'm on a 20 inch 1x1 with a Thomson stem--15 degree rise, 100mm long. Had a zero setback post and felt too scrunched up. Just last night installed a Moots ti layback post for a little extra room and am contemplating selling my 100mm Thomson and getting a 110 or 120. I like my frame size and am almost certain an 18 (at least for me) would force me into way too long of a stem and I'd have a yard of seatpost showing. I think I'm real close to getting it dialed in just right. For you, I'd probably go with the 120 stem. If you don't like it the Thomsons are pretty easy to flip on ebay or here in the classifieds.

mtbr member
    Hey Spooky, I recently swapped out my 110mm/5 degree Thompson with a 120mm/5 degree Truvativ Team stem. Big improvement. BTW, I'm 5'11".

mtbr member

my setup

Spooky,

I'm 6'1", 35.5" acutal inseam(34" pants), 35" sleave length. I ride a 20" 1x1, want a layback post but riding a straight thompson, seat all the way back on the rails. 1 5mm spacers with a 15deg, 110 stem and a 2.5" Azonic bar. Bars level with seat.

Hope that helps

MC

zeebot

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MellowCat
    Spooky,

I'm 6'1", 35.5" acutal inseam(34" pants), 35" sleave length. I ride a 20" 1x1, want a layback post but riding a straight thompson, seat all the way back on the rails. 1 5mm spacers with a 15deg, 110 stem and a 2.5" Azonic bar. Bars level with seat.

Hope that helps

MC

looks like i'll stick with the 120mm 5 deg. rise thomson. from what i can tell the easton actually sets you back more than the Moots Ti layback thus the reason i leaned towards it plus its about 50 bucks cheaper...

surlysoul

seat vs stem

It seems like alot of people are adj their cockpit reach by sliding seats back and using seat posts. I have always thought you should position your seat to get the proper position in relation to your pedals and cockpit reach shoud be done with either frame size or stem length.

mtbr member

I agree....

but why spend money on a layback post until your sure of your position? The old drop a string from the kneecap to determine your seat setup is not always that accurate. I get mine close, then ride it some, make adjustments.

I find the surly frame's longer stays and seat tube angle need the layback post to put your body in the right postion. I feel to far forward to get the front wheel in the air as easily as I would like.