Surly 1x1 + full length housing = *ting* *ting* *ting*- Mtbr.com
    Sofa King We Todd Did

Surly 1x1 + full length housing = *ting* *ting* *ting*

Seeking some advice from others who run full-length housing on their bikes, particularly those that do not have stops for full-length housing, like the Surly 1x1. I have an On-One Inbred but that's got three loops at the bottom of the top tube that keeps the full length housing fully secure and immobile. However, on my Surly 1x1, I use these Jagwire metal clamps that screw into the cable stops to hold my full-length brake housing. On rides, the section of housing between the two clamps bounces around, slaps the top tube, and results in a rather irritating *ting* *ting* *ting* noise as I'm riding along.

Anyone got any thoughts on muting this? I suppose I could use a velcro strap and wrap down that middle section of bouncy housing, but it looks a bit naff. Is there something I can use to wrap around the housing to mute the noise?

How do you deal with it?

mtbr member
    I have a Raleigh Rush Hour for my commuter, and it has no cable stops on the frame either. What I have done is cut an innertube in half and wrapped the top tube with it, having the housing underneath. I also did this to the down tube, too. I did this because when I lock the bike up the frame gets nicked and dinged, and the innertube keeps this from happening. I know it's probably not the solution you are looking for, but in my application it works very well.

Sofa King We Todd Did
    Cheers, mate. Just struck on an idea, maybe based on your reply.

Heat-shrink tubing. What if I slid some heat-strink tubing over the housing, fired it up quickly to shrink it down and see if the rubber-wrapped housing will now be muted when slaps against the steel top tube?

Something's tingling

Zip-ties or double-sided tape

My IRO Mia! suffered from cable slap on the top tube the first time I took her out. It sounded like I was pushing an ice cream cart. I zip-tied the housing to the top tube and all is well (it even matches!), but a less conspicuous solution would be thick double sided tape between the top tube and the housing. Another cheap alternative is to use self-sticking zip-tie anchors you find at your hardware store. They come in little plastic squares (white, clear, black, etc.) to stick on your frame. That way, you won't have to zip-tie the housing around the entire tube. Hope that makes sense... (wish I had a picture).

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Not likely to work. Heat shrink tubing is really pretty thin, especially after shrinking. Wouldn't be enough cushion to deaden the "ting". I've got the same problem and am looking for an elegant solution. Haven't found it yet. I don't like the idea of tape or velcro straps. Wrapping the tube with an old innertube would be mucho worse. Zip ties tend to be harder than the paint and would cause paint wear over time. What I really want is something like a black rubber band that wraps around the tube and has a groove to hold the cable. Haven't found the holy grail.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    A thought just occured to me. How about some rubber "O" rings with an inside diameter just a little smaller than the casing. Slip three or four around the casing. This would be like bare cable donuts used stop cable slap. These should be readily available in the plumbing section of your local hardware store. I'm going to try it today.

There's also a whole host of casing guides that clamp onto the tube. See them here http://www.loosescrews.com/index.cgi...d=894069319881
    These are just to cluttered looking for my taste.

mtbr member

Home Depot solutions...

I had the same problem and had a similar idea as meloh. I found these at Home Depot for $.50 or so....

grommets01.jpg

What I like about these is that they have a little channel in the middle that you can run a zip tie through...

grommet01.jpg

I cut one side of the grommet, clamped it onto the cable and zip tied it on...

grommet02.jpg

Problem solved...

Sofa King We Todd Did
    Like that! Can't really tell from the picture, but based on your description, you didn't cut that donut in half, did you?

horizontally compliant
    Quote Originally Posted by SpinWheelz
    Like that! Can't really tell from the picture, but based on your description, you didn't cut that donut in half, did you?
    I think he sliced one side of the grommet (I love that word) and then wrapped it around the cable housing, rather than partially removing the brake cable/housing & sliding the grommet over the housing.

My new Mia goes ting ting ting, too. I do believe I'll be adding a grommet soon. I hate noisy bikes!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Check these out. You'll probably like them
    http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...&category=1606

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    i have just bought some of these to put in the normal cable stops as i get the 'ice cream truck' sounds on my 1x1 with full length housing as well

http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...=202&category=

should arrive next week so i will post back here once ive had some time to ride with them installed

Who are the brain police?
    If you stay with full length housing you can always dremel the narrow part of the cable stops. Looks smooth. I did this on my 1x1 and don't get the *ting.
    The Who - Glittering Girl
    Ween - The Grobe
    Yellowman - Strong Me Strong
    all your base are belong to us

Sofa King We Todd Did
    Quote Originally Posted by alexb618
    i have just bought some of these to put in the normal cable stops as i get the 'ice cream truck' sounds on my 1x1 with full length housing as well

https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...=202&category=

should arrive next week so i will post back here once ive had some time to ride with them installed
    Right now, I'm using a similar variant - housing clamps that bolt into the existing stops.

Unfortunately, they do nothing to stop this pinging noise of the housing slapping against the steel top tube. The issue is that there are only two cable stops on the top tube and they're spaced far apart enough that any loose housing between the two has enough play that it'll still slap the top tube. The clamps you bought will give you a cleaner look, but unfortunately, will probably do nothing to inhibit the pinging noise.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

These look like they would work

I'd skip the zip tie and see if the adhesive is strong enough by itself.
    http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...=200&category=
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by meloh1
    I'd skip the zip tie and see if the adhesive is strong enough by itself.
    http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...=200&category=
    I was wondering the same thing... has anyone tried this? Or anything like it? I would like to get rid of my zip ties and get a cleaner look.

Thanks,
    Vance

large member
    The zip ties on those are for the cable passing thru, not the tubing it is stuck too.
    #1 NORBA elite singlespeed toolbag 30-34 age group

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    take some sticky backed velcro strips/squares/whatever. take a few pieces (however many needed to quiet things) and cut them to fit underneatht he tubing. then stick them to the frame. done. nothing sticking up or out off of the cable housing to get caught, or poke you in the leg.

i've done this a few times; works very well.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

mtbr member
    pic is big to show detail, but i used a peice of avid full metal jacket passed through the drilled out stops on my 1x1, it looks super clean and there is no noise ever.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vancemac
    I was wondering the same thing... has anyone tried this? Or anything like it? I would like to get rid of my zip ties and get a cleaner look.

Thanks,
    Vance
    My cable stops were actually drilled through so I ran my brake cable through those, with one of the zip tie things in the middle of the top tube of my old 1x1. It worked quite well.

Misfit Psycles
    is electrical tape really so bad?
    i run on hit of it in the middle of the two guides...no noise, so scratchy zip ties...it helps when the frame is black (to hid it).
    Expert of the Internet.
    BECAUSE I SAID SO

Quote Originally Posted by awol
    I had the same problem and had a similar idea as meloh. I found these at Home Depot for $.50 or so....

grommets01.jpg

What I like about these is that they have a little channel in the middle that you can run a zip tie through...

grommet01.jpg

I cut one side of the grommet, clamped it onto the cable and zip tied it on...

grommet02.jpg

Problem solved...
    I did this myself last week on my Unit w/ flak jackets. Completely took care of the noise, looks clean, and was cheap. Thanks for the tip, AWOL!

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    [QUOTE=the locust]pic is big to show detail, but i used a peice of avid full metal jacket passed through the drilled out stops on my 1x1, it looks super clean and there is no noise ever.

did the same thing on my il pompino. works very well, and looks quite nice as well.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

mtbr member

I drilled out the cable stops

I called my frame manufacturer first to see if warranty would be effected - they said it would be ok. I got out the Dremel and got to work and, while it was a pita to do, got it done and it looks good on my full sus. My ss frame (Fetish Fixation) has zip-tie holders built in.

Rick
    "Oh, and how dare you accuse me of lying, drinking, getting high" DessertRagged

Gone riding
    Jan 2004
    Liking the full metal jacket idea, but I just use a bit of electrical tape around the offending frame tube and cable outer.

Not glamorous, but easy and cheap.

Dave.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Holy drilling and cutting advice.

Just use a piece of electrical tape and be done with it..

mtbr member

cable guides cheaper ....

Quote Originally Posted by senna
    Check these out. You'll probably like them
    http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...&category=1606
    http://www.webcyclery.com/product.ph...cat=291&page=1

The zip tie is too short for top tubes, but works for normal sized seat stay tubing.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by calzonical
    http://www.webcyclery.com/product.ph...cat=291&page=1

The zip tie is too short for top tubes, but works for normal sized seat stay tubing.
    I just replaced my zip ties with these thingies, and they are GREAT. I have no doubt they will stay stuck on, and it is a much cleaner look than zip ties around the tube. (fyi, the zip tie on these do not go around the tube, they just lock in the cable -- once you cut off the end of the zip tie, you don't even see it.)

A huge

Members who have read this thread: 1