Surly 1x1...the fork selection from hell- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2007

Surly 1x1...the fork selection from hell

Hey guys, I am building up a Surly 1x1 and would like to get a good reliable fork on the front end. So many choices, and when I seem to get a handle on it, I just end up getting confused again. Anyways, I think I have narrowed the selection down to a few. What does everyone think about the Rock Shox SID, Marzocchi Marathon and MX Pro. These all can be had for between 150 and 300 on ebay fairly easily. In addition, there is an older Rock Shox SID on ebay, but the guy selling it says it is an older model and he doesnt know if it is the race, team or world cup. Here is the link: http://cgi.ebay.com/Rock-Shox-SID-Mo...QQcmdZViewItem

CB2
    Jam Econo
    I weigh 138 lbs and found the SID too flexy, and I never was able to get it adjusted exactly how I wanted.
    The Marathon on the other hand is one of my favorite suspension forks. Weighs almost a pound more than a SID, but easier to dial in and zero flex. I like the 2003 model the best.
    That's my opinion.

meh... whatever
    imho sid's are for girls and weight weenies. a sid fork is very sloppy, and flexes like you wouldnt believe. i would cross it off your list if youre going to be doing any real riding. if youre insistent upon having one i have a sid long travel fork sitting around that id get rid of. its in great shape, fairly fresh rebuild, and id take 150 for it shipped.

as cb2 said the marathon is much easier to dial in, and is torsionally very rigid. just about anything other than an rst is better than the sid. the reba is an EXCELLENT shock, and is on par with the marathon and non terralogic foxes.

of course, youll never have to service, adjust, or rebuild the fork that came with the 1x1
    "Knowledge is good." ~ Emil Faber

mtbr member
    Focus on the Marathons over the Sids

Also keep an eye on used Rockshox Rebas.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I would try the Surly rigid fork with a nice fat tire up front before I spent any money on a squishy fork. That's just me though...

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by onlyinajeepxj
    I would try the Surly rigid fork with a nice fat tire up front before I spent any money on a squishy fork. That's just me though...
    I love my Surly rigid, and it will never leak

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    marathon is a great fork...reliable and fairly bulletproof.

i popped a Manitou R7 (80mm) on my 1X1......it never "felt" right.....then i popped on the rigid fork and WOW!! totally different bike......corrected everything that felt wrong with it.

get a big volume tire for the front (as previously suggested)...go tubeless....and ride....it'll climb like a goat on crack and track thru techy sections with ease
    Click Here for Forum Rules

Fauxhemian
    I also think you should give the rigid a try, many of us never go back. If you do go with a shock I would steer away form the Sid. The action is smooth and it is light, but it is truely way too flexy. The Reba will track much better with a minimal gain in weight. I have no experience with Marzocchi.
    I hold an associates degree in underachievement.

Rusting Steel
    I just went from a Marzocchi MX Pro to a rigid Surly 1x1 fork on my 1x1 and am happier rigid, though I didn't think I would be. I love the way the bike rides now, not that the MX Pro was a bad fork, it was maintenance free and predictable. My buddy is riding the Marathon and it too is a great fork, but I really like the way my 1x1 rides with the rigid fork. Probably due to the much shorter A/C than the 85mm MX Pro had.
    I'm riding on nasty grarly rocky rooty trails as well. Found my downhill speed has increased on the rigid, mostly because braking forces me to hold onto the bar. If your frame came with the rigid fork, it's worth giving it a try.

Rusting Steel
    quick reply did a double post.

Harrumph
    SID's Suck, I've had 3 and didn't like any of them. The Zooch Marathon line is really nice, my suggestion if you go with a suspension fork. I'm partial to the Rigid fork at the moment.
    Last edited by G-reg; 05-17-2007 at 01:53 PM.
    Slowly slipping to retrogrouchyness

mtbr member
    May 2007
    i also vote for full rigid
    2007 Mountain Goat Route 29 (Black/Gold)
    2009 Mountain Goat Whiskeytown Racer (Real men ride Pink)
    2008 Trek XO1 Cross Bike

more beers, lees gears.
    I picked up a dart 3 with remote lock out new, on ebay for $130 shipped. I dont have a lot of miles on it yet, but so far I dig it. Im 210#, so im not light on forks. My FS has a Fox talas, and i think the dart almost comparable. Not bad considering its 1/5th the price.
    A burrito is a sleeping bag for ground beef.

mtbr member
    I found the 1X1 rigid fork to chatter way too much with V brakes. I am sure it is better with disc. In addition it beat the hell out of me. I got and On-One fork and am much happier.

Currently in Exile
    Another vote for the Rigid fork! I use the SS to make "dull" trails more fun. A rigid fork is part of the equation.
    "There are those who would say there's something pathological about the need to ride, and they're probably on to something. I'd wager though that most of the society-approved compulsions leave deeper scars in the psyche than a need to go and ride a bicycle on a mountain." Cam McRea

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    never ridden a surly, however my monocog flight loves its' 100mm manitou r7.

donkey
    Ranger, I'm not sure what you mean by chatter. Can you please elaborate? And i agree with frozen -- a rigid fork is a great way to combat trail sanitization. It'll also never leak, freeze up, lose air, etc. If your really jonesing for a fat-ass tire, get some ridiculous 2.8 DH tire... or a 3.0 nokian. Just give it a fair chance, you never know.

what nice teeth you have
    Marathon isn't completely maint free. The tst needs redone every so often. MX pro might be a good choice. Both of the marz will be way stiffer than the sid. The sid does have a nice plush feel to it during its compressiong/rebound stroke but suffers from lateral flex.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Don't tell people to do things that you would do in their place. That's not what anyone is asking for. If the dude wants a suspension fork, let him be. Jesus...

Is dang happy!
    On that bike I would go rigid but I also have three bikes with suspension forks so you have a point there.

The Tora is at the oppisite end of the spectrum from the sid, (cheap and heavy) but also has adjustable travel 85-140 so you can dial in your geometry a bit.
    The wheel is a extension of the foot

more beers, lees gears.
    in my opinion, the sids are overpriced, and under performing. They are light, that is it.

My neighbor rides a sid, he's probably 170 lbs, and has to have is seals replaced, and a service every 4 months when it starts to leak all over the place. Not worth the 1 - 2lb savings it you ask me.

Im normally a fox guy. I have had really good luck with their forks. I had a Talas RLC for 3 years and 2500 miles, and I never serviced the thing, no oil change, or seals. It still performed like a champ, was probably 4 lbs.

Toras are not that bad. They are actually a quality fork for XC use. Id take a tora or a dart over a sid.
    A burrito is a sleeping bag for ground beef.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by elray
    Don't tell people to do things that you would do in their place. That's not what anyone is asking for. If the dude wants a suspension fork, let him be. Jesus...
    He asked for help selecting a good reliable fork. Jesus...

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    depending on your size and where you ride, you might even find the marathon flexy- in the rocky hills of PA, weighing in at 195 I could flex my marathon at will- enough for me to sell it and get a Reba. I havent looked back- love the reba

Members who have read this thread: 0