Surly 1X1 Fork Q's- Mtbr.com
    Its too warm here....

Surly 1X1 Fork Q's

For all you rigid runners, specifically those with the Surly 1X1 fork, I have some questions.

Is it susp. corrected for a 4" or 3" fork? About how much does it weigh? Do you like the way it rides? Does it have good tire clearance?

Thanks for your answers, and if anyone has input on the Kona Project 2 I would appreciate it also.

Thanks,

Pete
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick." T.R. Roosevelt

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SenorPedro
    For all you rigid runners, specifically those with the Surly 1X1 fork, I have some questions.

Is it susp. corrected for a 4" or 3" fork? About how much does it weigh? Do you like the way it rides? Does it have good tire clearance?
    IIRC it's corrected for a 3" fork. Not sure about weight, never had it off the bike. I'm sure you could email Surly, or perhaps even find weight specs on the site. It rides like bike. I've had no problems. Haven't tried to put anything larger than a 2.4 in there, but judging by the clearance on that, you could fit a pretty big tire in there.

-Trevor

King Pin

Smile

I run the Surly rigid fork on my high dollar bling bling titanium SS....I trust it that much.
    I've broken many lighter weight steel forks, including MANY lightweight expensive ones.

I like that big 'ol heavy Surly fork. A 2.5" WTB Weirwolf fits with room to spare....

Just my $.02.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Master of the Obvious

How do you like your King?

Quote Originally Posted by xrmattaz
    I run the Surly rigid fork on my high dollar bling bling titanium SS....I trust it that much.
    I've broken many lighter weight steel forks, including MANY lightweight expensive ones.

I like that big 'ol heavy Surly fork. A 2.5" WTB Weirwolf fits with room to spare....

Just my $.02.
    just wondering how you like your Sofa King?

formerly Giantxc

P-2

I've been riding the P-2 for about 2 years now (although its about to be replaced with a new Spicer ti disc!) and I've been nothing but pleased with it. It fits a 2.4 Mutano Raptor and the taller Geax Blade 225 with ease. Point an click accuracy and definitely a rigid fork (didn't notice any flex). Weight about 2 lbs. Suspension corrected at 410 mm (less than 80 mm).

King Pin

... and if we just ...

I have ridden and owned many many dozens of bicycles in the past few decades.

I must say...the Sofa King Ti King Pin tops 'em all. Really. Lightweight, stiff yet compliant with beautiful weldage. She will certainly be buried with me.

I have zero issues with this frame.

Quote Originally Posted by Angus
    just wondering how you like your Sofa King?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

like my Surly 1x1 fork alot

email Surly with questions and they get right back to you. Corrected to 80mm. I replaced my Judy T2 80 mm with it. Comes ready to install. Just make sure there is no paint on the race seat. I have a Maxxis Mobster 2.7 inch up front. It is actually 2.5 inches wide and there is lots of clearance. On Surly's web site, the specs for the 1x1 frame say the fork is 421mm axel to crown. This is a mistake according to Surly. The fork is 413mm axel to crown.

If you run a FAT DH tire like the Maxxis then your front wheel diameter will be around 27 inches. The bigger wheel plus the 413mm Surly 1x1 will be about the same length as a sagged 80mm fork with a 26 inch diameter wheel. This is the case with my set up. Therefore no change in head tube angle from making the switch.

A bit of lbs advice. Don't by a rigid fork with a disk brake mount if the mount is welded on one side only. This is a much weaker construction than a mount which is welded on both sides. The Surly 1x1 brake mount is welded on both sides.

One gear to rule them all

Surly spec

Surly says there fork has room for a 2.7 tire. Canti /V model weight 1030grams, and disc model weight 1058grams. Hope that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by SenorPedro

Thanks for your answers, and if anyone has input on the Kona Project 2 I would appreciate it also.

Thanks,

Pete