Surly 1x1 Durability Question: cannot locate post this was in..- Mtbr.com
    byklvr

New question here. Surly 1x1 Durability Question: cannot locate post this was in..

So, most of you know I have a Surly 1x1. Now, having read through way too much catalog jargon, and understanding that there is a specific reason for the Instigator, I want to know these things:

1. How long have you owned your 1x1?
    2. How is it set up?
    3. What kind of abuse have you put it through?*
    IE: How long 'til I hurt myself using mine as a play bike?
    Think Downieville and Northstar.
    4. Yeah, I could always get the instigator, but I love the way my 1x1 rides, and am still
    not "old enough yet" to strictly do XC. I love slalom!

I remember reading that some of you have put yours through the wringer, but cannot find the thread. This is purely an engineering question, as it seems like a VERY STURDY FRAME, but I'm basing this on it's being steel, double butted with reasonable thickness tubes and nice welds.

I appreciate your candor and replies...post some ride pics too!

Shane

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    1. 9 months
    2. pretty stock type stem. avid mechanicals, 1x1 rigid fork, 2.4 mutanos, x-ttype bb
    3. downhill steep enough to generate about 5' of steam off the front rotor. taken some biggish and hard hits, also shipped it around sans box and it has stood up well to freight shipping handlers. bb has given up, but seems ok if i keep the bike below 20 degree (temp). need to re-pack the rear hub, due to the downhilling adventures. not a single frame problem and i am just getting ready to elimate my warranty by cutting off the v-brake bosses and putting some 3.0 winter tires on.

byklvr

Good job! Thanks...anybody else wanna give input?

Quote Originally Posted by nerka
    not a single frame problem and i am just getting ready to elimate my warranty by cutting off the v-brake bosses and putting some 3.0 winter tires on.
    Funny you'd mention that last bit, I've been thinking the same thing and getting it powdercoated a different color. Post pics when it's done, I'd like to see, and am sure others would too. I'm just trying to not justify an Instigator right now, I really don't need all those gears right now either. I just don't want to get in over my head on this bike until I'm sure it'll be ok.

Members who have read this thread: 0