mtbr member
    Dec 2004

Surly 1x1 with discs brakes?

I am looking at 2 singlespeed frames at the moment. I can get a Surly 1x1 frame/fork for about $600 (Aus dollars), or I can get one custom built for $700, but that is frame only. The custom built one will have an eccentric bottom bracket. I currently run v-brakes, but will probably upgrade to discs in the near future.

How easy is it to adjust the disc brakes for the changes in chain length on the Surly? and,
    has anyone experienced any problems with eccentric bottom brackets?

All comments appreciated.
    Cheers.

uncompliant

Very easy...

I find it very easy on my 1x1 - I have to loosen the caliper bolts to remove the wheel but it a very quick job to wiggle it back into place and retighten. I know a few people (with different brake setups) who don't even have to do that and the wheel slides straight out.

Probably a sighter and simpler solution than an EBB.

Quote Originally Posted by AzzaC
    I am looking at 2 singlespeed frames at the moment. I can get a Surly 1x1 frame/fork for about $600 (Aus dollars), or I can get one custom built for $700, but that is frame only. The custom built one will have an eccentric bottom bracket. I currently run v-brakes, but will probably upgrade to discs in the near future.

How easy is it to adjust the disc brakes for the changes in chain length on the Surly? and,

Cheers.

Sofa King We Todd Did
    I can get a Surly 1x1 frame/fork for about $600 (Aus dollars), or I can get one custom built for $700, but that is frame only. The custom built one will have an eccentric bottom bracket. I currently run v-brakes, but will probably upgrade to discs in the near future.
    This is an absolute no-brainer. An off-the-shelf frameset versus a frame designed and built just for you for a mere $100 upcharge? All signs point to the latter, mate. Don't even think about this anymore. Go place that order for the custom ride now.

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER

Wrong

Quote Originally Posted by SpinWheelz
    This is an absolute no-brainer. An off-the-shelf frameset versus a frame designed and built just for you for a mere $100 upcharge? All signs point to the latter, mate. Don't even think about this anymore. Go place that order for the custom ride now.
    Get the Surly - best frame known to mankind. You won't neet to spend a couple hundred more for a fork, you can use the $100 difference to buy a bunch of beer and you'll be riding a bike that will last forever. You'll never want to ride another bike. If you get black paint you'll be able to touch up dings with a Sharpee. If you get white you can use WhiteOut.
    Nobody cares what kind of bike you ride.

mtbr member

EBB comments (delete this)

Cheers.
    posting while editing ???
    Last edited by pacman; 05-18-2005 at 08:28 AM. Reason: word switch

Designated Bleeder

Surly singlespeed

Its hard to say no to a custom built bike but are you looking for a great ride or a status symbol? I have had a Surly for about a year now and I love it. Its a little heavy but its built like a tank and that good old steel smooths out the trail.

Don't worry too much about the disk brakes on the 1 x 1. Changing the tire can be a bit of a pain but how often do you really do that. If the Surly comes with a decent component set, buy it and get it out on the trail. Remember, the most valuable thing in your life is not money, its time. Time on the trail beats money in the bank any day of the week...

mtbr member

EBB comments

Cheers.
    I have a friend with a custom IF, he is beginning to hate his set-screw type EBB. Doesn't grab well, bolts dig into Al BB carrier, and he's afraid that more force will pop out the bolt welds. I can see a lot of daylight between the shell and BB carrier.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Make sure that the Surly is disc-compatible as mine isn't. I think mine is a 2002 model though so that could be why.

Keep on Rockin...

Good question...

I've got a Surly and have been considering going to a disc on the rear. Sounds like it won't be that much trouble.

A custom frame sounds tempting but let me tell you this... I'd be very scared to shell out the extra cash and not have the frame ride as nice as my Surly. I think I'll be sticking with this frame for a long time.

Mike

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER

About that disk in back thing.

You might reconsider getting the disk in back too.

This is about stopping bikes, not about stopping trucks. On my 1x1 I run an Avid mechanical disk on a rigid fork up front and an Avid rim brake in back and I think I have more stopping responsiveness than I do using the hydraulic disks on my gears. I'm a much better brakeman now too!
    Nobody cares what kind of bike you ride.

Fat Boy Deluxe
    Quote Originally Posted by pacman
    I have a friend with a custom IF, he is beginning to hate his set-screw type EBB. Doesn't grab well, bolts dig into Al BB carrier, and he's afraid that more force will pop out the bolt welds. I can see a lot of daylight between the shell and BB carrier.
    And to come from the other side, I have an IF with the set screw ebb and have never had an issue. It's fixie all the time and doesn't come loose. Never felt like something was going to pop out. The bolts do dig a little into the ebb, but steel on Al, that's what's holding it in plac. Just giving the other side...

Oh, and I bet the Phil Wood ebb weighs less than Surly's trackends if someone is seriously concerned with weight...but then why would you get a surly, ha.

Just for the record I have both a disc equipped Surly and a bike with an ebb and it's my opinion that it's a lot easier to adjust my ebb than it is to get the wheel straight in my trackends.

I don't think you can go wrong either way, but for an extra $100, getting a custom bike built to your geometry will mean more than trackends or an ebb.

DT