Surly 1x1- Mtbr.com

Thread: Surly 1x1

beer *****es n' bikes

Surly 1x1

Hey guys I am looking at the possibility of getting a 1x1 but am a bit concerned about the porky/frame fork. I like LIGHT bikes, especially from my SS's. How difficult is it to build a 1x1 to under 21/22 lbs?

I would probably run:
    517's
    Avid SD5 Vees
    Avid SD5 levers
    Chris King or Ritchey headset
    Unsure on the cranks... gotta see what QBP has... maybe new XT?
    Prolly XT non disc hubs

Any weight savings with a Kona P2 fork?

I could also run a XTR octalink BB w/ an old XT setup...

Thanks... I am interested in this bike because its the only reasonably priced SS I can get through work since the new Bianchi sucks! Really wish we could order Kona Unit's at my shop
    bike dude, velocity employee (this is my personal account)

DSR
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    I've ride one but it's certainly not built up light. Don't know the weight, but more than 21/22 I'm sure.

One idea though (other than waiting for someone who actually knows the answer) is to check the reviews since sometimes folks will mention what theirs weighs in at with a given build. Just a thought. S

DSR
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Make that "I ride one." Don't want to get the grammar police on my tail. S

Not because I'm fast.....
    Quote Originally Posted by seely
    Hey guys I am looking at the possibility of getting a 1x1 but am a bit concerned about the porky/frame fork. I like LIGHT bikes, especially from my SS's. How difficult is it to build a 1x1 to under 21/22 lbs?

I would probably run:
    517's
    Avid SD5 Vees
    Avid SD5 levers
    Chris King or Ritchey headset
    Unsure on the cranks... gotta see what QBP has... maybe new XT?
    Prolly XT non disc hubs

Any weight savings with a Kona P2 fork?

I could also run a XTR octalink BB w/ an old XT setup...

Thanks... I am interested in this bike because its the only reasonably priced SS I can get through work since the new Bianchi sucks! Really wish we could order Kona Unit's at my shop

I built up a 22"XL Surly 1x1 with top shelf components and I bet you it's 22/23lbs max. It's doable and although I saved some weight with King hubs, I still use a 2.4 " 800 gram tires, a 310gram Azonic DW riser bar and 519 rims for durability. It rides really nice, there is something about that damn $300 frame and fork, go figure........I say go for it!
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Does your shop deal with BTI? If so, they have Voodoo frames, the wanga one is a pretty good set up, sliding horizontals and all. It costs a little more than the 1x1, but it is 853 steel, which would be lighter. It does not come with a fork though.

The 1x1 is a great deal on a good bike, but if you guys deal with BTI check out the Wanga One. The shop I work at deals with BTI and I didn't even know it, even after six years of working there.

They are not in stock yet at BTI but they should be soon. Check the site.

http://www.bti-usa.com/item.asp?item...pe=&itemsearch=

beer *****es n' bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by Winky
    Does your shop deal with BTI? If so, they have Voodoo frames, the wanga one is a pretty good set up, sliding horizontals and all. It costs a little more than the 1x1, but it is 853 steel, which would be lighter. It does not come with a fork though.

The 1x1 is a great deal on a good bike, but if you guys deal with BTI check out the Wanga One. The shop I work at deals with BTI and I didn't even know it, even after six years of working there.

They are not in stock yet at BTI but they should be soon. Check the site.

http://www.bti-usa.com/item.asp?item...pe=&itemsearch=
    I would say no, but we have a lot of old order books sitting around so you never know... I'll check it out.

I am the owl
    Shouldn't be to hard. Mine's fairly light without even trying.

Read this this .
    SingleSpeedOutlaw .com
    Riding Bikes and Drinking Beer.

No smart comment
    What about the new Giant can you get hold of them?

IRO has an Alu SS frame its a reasonable weight.

Is that Bill rated?

Of course you can

Given sufficient funds you could break 20 lbs with a 1x1. If you stick with reasonable choices and splurge on some light tires (< 550 g) you won't have any trouble hitting a weight under 23 lbs with the parts you detailed. I hit 22.5 lbs with a similar build on my medium eg XT hubs, 14g spokes, 517 front, 0 degree XC rear, Intense system 2 tires, Avid 2.0 brakes, XT levers, Frogs, LX cranks.
    I didn't have any funky carbon fibre bits, butted spokes, thin tubes, or a proper singlespeed hub and freewheel so you could certainly move the weight down from where I was sitting.
    The P2 should save you a little weight, but not more than .5 pounds.
    Last edited by Lord Humongous; 02-14-2004 at 06:55 AM. Reason: Update
    Well, it was a good try.

beer *****es n' bikes
    Thanks for the input guys... I think I will bash my Peugeot around a bit more and in a few weeks go ahead and order the 1x1. I am just nervous about owning NO geared bikes though! I can have either/or at this point and not both so its kind of a big decision....

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

SURLY 1X1 weight

A bit late I know....

My 1x1 weighs 24lb with a Girvin Vector fork. No unobtanium bits.

Suggest you read the surlyblog about weight.

mtbr member

Voodoo Wanga is 631

[QUOTE=Winky]Does your shop deal with BTI? If so, they have Voodoo frames, the wanga one is a pretty good set up, sliding horizontals and all. It costs a little more than the 1x1, but it is 853 steel, which would be lighter. [QUOTE]

The Wanga is Reynolds 631...not 853. That combined with the sliding dropouts probably makes it very close to the same weight as the Surly. If you want to use disc brakes, I'd go for the Voodoo over the Surly though. Just a cleaner setup to run discs.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

kona

tell larry and brandon and the rest of the owners down there in texas that kona makes a great ss and that alone is the reason to pick up kona. i have ridden one for years and its been. about to upgrade my 9er to ss.

your ankles are fat
    Aug 2004

18" Surly 1x1: 19.8 lbs

hey, I built my 1x1 up and its a 19.8lb rocket. I built it up fairly fancy-pants though. This frame(the 1x1) is replacing a Giant Two2One that I wrecked at solo 24 worlds last week. Here's the bits: ceramic x517's laced with DT rev spokes/alloy nipples-DMR rr hub, XT front, ACS 16t freewheel, Sella itallia SLR saddle(wicked comfy), Pazzaz carbon post, Avid ti v-brakes, Sram 7.0 levers, MAXM flat bar, Ritcher WCS stem, RS Sid Team, RF Team Sl hset, RaceFace LP cranks, RaceFace Isis BB, Eggbeaters, steel bead(icky I know, but they're fasties) Hutchinson Pythons, regular tubes, chain tensioners off of my Two2One, carbon spacers, stainless cables and SLr housing, bar tape grips. Chequamegon, here I come!!!