Surly 1X1 with 100mm Fox Float?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Surly 1X1 with 100mm Fox Float?

How does the 1X1 pair up with a 100mm fork. I know it's suspension corrected for 3" but I have a 100mm Fox RLC looking for a home and the rigid Pace I'm currently running inflicts to much pain during longer races. I picked up a 4mm race since I see the knobs tend to hit the downtube but I'm wondering about the handling with the extra travel..

Quote Originally Posted by TrailVictim
    How does the 1X1 pair up with a 100mm fork. I know it's suspension corrected for 3" but I have a 100mm Fox RLC looking for a home and the rigid Pace I'm currently running inflicts to much pain during longer races. I picked up a 4mm race since I see the knobs tend to hit the downtube but I'm wondering about the handling with the extra travel..
    That fork coupled with the taller race would turn your Surly into a chopper. It would be fine with the 100mm fork... it would just slacken the fron of the bike a little.
    It's worth a try at least.

mtbr member
    I have a RS Revelation U-Turn that I ride at 100mm and it is just fine. The extra slack angle created by the bigger race might be noticeable climbing, but will probably make descending a little less jarring. What size frame do you have, because if it is a large, you maybe able to get away with a normal race. No way to find out unless you try.
    _
    _
    Beware the man who has just one gear. He may know how to use it.

Keep on Rockin...

Floats are internally adjustable...

...to either 80 or 100mm. At least they use to be.

Mike

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    The sort-of "standard" formula for figuring out how a longer fork changes the geometry is this: You lose 1 degree of headtube steepness per inch of travel that you add over what's recommended for the frame. That said, a 70 degree heattube angle is lust a bit slacker than normal and shouldn't be too bad.

Keep on Rockin...

Oh yeah...

Quote Originally Posted by Miker J
    ...to either 80 or 100mm. At least they use to be.

Mike
    Surlys appear to be designed around their own rigid forks which have a very short axel to crown of 413mm. So going to a 100mm suspension fork is going to give you an a-c much taller and may very well throw the handling off at least a bit.

My first SS was a Surly with a Zoke Marathon at 100mm. Mucked up the handling.

On the other hand depends on the rider. Some guys are lucky, they can hop on whatever bike, even if it's set up poorly, and not even notice and still tear it up!

Mike

Obi
    -_-
    Oct 2005

Idea!

Been running mine for two seasons with the Talas, usually at 100mm, and the '07 switched to 100 for most stuff, 120 for Downieville, Tahoe, etc. with the 4mm Ventana Chris King spacer, no worries, no troubles. Rock solid fun!!

Pics should clarify what I mean...

P.S. Where are you from? I work in S.F. and would be happy to loan* it for a quick spin.
    *In other words, you break it, you own it.
    *Via work though, I.D. and Credit Card needed to use it.

Visit the Surly forum, if not close by, and put out a "Help Me" post and see who'll step up to the plate.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Obi; 08-27-2006 at 09:12 PM.

Members who have read this thread: 0