Surly 1x1 or 06 Redline Monocog- Mtbr.com
    People of zee wurl,Relax!

Surly 1x1 or 06 Redline Monocog

I'm a happy full squishy rider in the front range of Colorado. I have a hard enough time with the mountains on an efficient full suspension bike with gears. I thought it would be fun to try a SS. I can get either of these bikes from local shops. The 06 monocog has standard 135 rear spacing and is only $450. The Surly is a cult classic but it will run around $700-$800 depending on the build. Will I regret not getting the Surly if I buy the monocog. The redline looks like a great bike but I have never ridden one.

Thanks,
    Chris

The devil is an angel too
    Mar 2005
    I just got a Surly and I love it. Building one for less than 800$ with new parts is not going to be easy though. Got mine done for 700 and change but I didn't have to buy wheels or cranks. And I got most parts on super-sales, including the frame. If you have to buy cranks and wheels, and buy everything new, I think you are looking at spending closer to 900 than to 700. That being said, I love the 1x1.

I never tried a Monocog, but I don't think you would regret getting one.

King Pin

... and if we just ... Surly!

You NEED the Surly.

A singlespeed household is not complete without one. Magical ride.

Surly has a fan club

I can tell from the forums that the Surly is really popular. I'm just trying to justify spending twice as much on the Surly than the monocog. I think I'm going to keep my eye out for used 1x1's. I've seen them in the classifieds for pretty good deals. Has anyone ridden the Monocog or is it just not that nice of a bike.

The devil is an angel too
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by trail topher
    I can tell from the forums that the Surly is really popular. I'm just trying to justify spending twice as much on the Surly than the monocog. I think I'm going to keep my eye out for used 1x1's. I've seen them in the classifieds for pretty good deals. Has anyone ridden the Monocog or is it just not that nice of a bike.
    Far as I know, people like the Monocogs. The guy who did the Continental Divide Race on a singlespeed (see latest Dirt Rag) did it on a Monocog. The OEM build doesn't have any chi-chi parts, but a 800 buck 1x1 won't have any chi-chi parts either...

I guess that a Surly is a Surly. 'Nuff said.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I got my 1x1 with a great build (XT cranks, Paul's hubs, etc.) on Ebay for $450. It is an absolutely great ride that I love to ride. The Monocog's are an excellent entry level singlespeed but I think they are a bit heavier than my Surly and from different people I've talked to the Aluminum monocogs are going to be a lot more harsh riding than the steel Surly. I ride mine fully rigid on rocky, Norcal riding and only on the really harsh stuff do I really miss the suspension on it. It climbs great and I just love how I can just put the power to the pedals and it just takes off, very efficient machine.

cyclemaven.net

Surly

I've been riding my Surly rigid this week through rock gardens and dry fast fireroad. The steel has made it a delicious ride.
    IMHO, Steel pings, Aluminum thuds.

Get the Surly. You might regret the Monocog, but you won't regret the Surly.

Or, flip a coin.
    If you find an instantaneous flash of sadness in the result, do the opposite.
    Donate now!
    I'm a roadie this year for AIDS LifeCycle. Find out more by going here:
    http://girlmeetsbike.org

bhc
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Monocog is tough

I'm a happy full squishy rider in the front range of Colorado. I have a hard enough time with the mountains on an efficient full suspension bike with gears. I thought it would be fun to try a SS. I can get either of these bikes from local shops. The 06 monocog has standard 135 rear spacing and is only $450. The Surly is a cult classic but it will run around $700-$800 depending on the build. Will I regret not getting the Surly if I buy the monocog. The redline looks like a great bike but I have never ridden one.

Thanks,
    Chris
    Have ridden a Monocog since Feb, about 1000 miles on it, mostly offroad, NW Arizona hills, at my age (42) not trying anything airborne, but it is a tank that goes through anything well. I also have a Surly Crosscheck, and ride it off road some, so I know the 1x1 would be an excellent ride, have been giving thought to one my self. You might try this is you want to buy the monocog, I was able to get the bike shop to give me credit for keeping off the pedals, tires and tubes. Out the door for $360

King Pin

... and if we just ...

The MonoCog will probably suit you fine.

IMO, there is something about the Surly 1X1 that cannot be expressed with words. It's the one I grab first, over the Vulture and the Chameleon. And over the Sofa King Ti King Pin that I sold.

Magical.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

I say try the monocog

Thanks,
    Chris
    I say go for the monocog, with the new mt spacing, you won't have problems putting nicer wheels or disc on the bike, it's definitly not light, should be about 24 1/2 to 25lbs stock as a complete with v-brakes, and rigid. If you don't mind aluminum I say go for the flight monocog for about $550or $600, upgraded wheels, and cranks, etc should be worth it, and it is really light, closer to 22lbs, for the last year model in mtbike action, I would suggest buying a kona P2 steel fork for it cause the stocker is aluminum, should improve the ride a bit, and not add too much weight. The monocog also runs a little longer in the top tube compared to the surly and I prefer a longer TT and a shorter stem.

blame me for missed rides
    you'll end up with a bling speed in no time, so spend less, get the monocog, and start saving until the bling itch becomes unbearable.

Nat
    mtbr member
    This pic is from Japan. I'm not sure what it refers to but since I've seen it all I can think of is Surly and man-to-man lifestyle.
    Attached Images Attached Images

byklvr

I just posted my 16" frame and fork it'll go fast!!

If this is the size you're looking for let me know, I'm in the S.F. Bay Area. The price is somewhat negotiable if someone brings cash.

mtbr member
    I say go for the Monocog, I bought a steel one (05) a while back, and it still gets more trail time than my FS. The Monocog wether steel or aluminum is a great choice to get started in SS'ing. Then later on if you find yourself loving it (SS'in) then upgrade. You will not be dissapointed in the Monocog! Late

drinker
    Jan 2004
    i own both a monocog and a pre-surly 1x1 (and a third SS'er, which cost me more then both; for the frame)......so i think i can speak on behalf of both. both are GREAT bikes. will you regret either? not a chance. both DO have shortcomings, but both will work for you, especially if the monocog you can get is a 135mm spacing (mine is the 110). they do fit kinda differently though, so that might be a factor. i've modified thier setups to suit the sizing issues. so there are ways around that. however, i think the surly would be happier with a longer suspension fork than the redline of course the redline will take discs far easier.........

if you are able to try both out, do so, it will let you decide which is better for you. my three cents would be to buy the redline though. it's half the price, is a damn fine bike and will give you a taste of SS'ing for less dough. if you like SS'ing enough to stick with it, then the frame is worthy of any upgrades you might want to do, untill upgrade-itis kicks in so much as to buy a new frame. the downsides to the redline are the parts, i have killed the rear hub, crankset and headset in mine in under a year, and the rear triangle doesn't allow big fat tires. but again, it IS half the price, and even then at $800, you'd have similar parts on your 1x1. if you end up hating the single speed thing then the redline will make a fine townie/beater/winter/commuter bike.

as for weights.....my 1x1 is 29lbs, and my redline is 28........so it matters little!

drinker
    Jan 2004

normally i run different pedals, and my seat higher on my 1x1, but it was lent out last weekend to abuddy who is a couple of inches shorter and also into the freeriding gig more than i am. and of course excuse the blurryness of my redline, but you get the idea

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004

Owned both...prefer the 1x1

I've owned both a Monocog (older, 110 rear spacing) and a 1x1. At 6 feet tal, the 19" Monocog was a little too small for me, but the 20" 1x1 fit perfectly. I also think that the Monocog frame was a tad bit heavier, but not much. As for ride quality, I agree with other posters that there is something about the ride of the 1x1 that defies explanation. From the first ride, it felt more like a natural extension of my body than any other hardtail I've owned, including the Monocog. Shame on me, though, I sold my 1x1 this past spring to free up some $$ to build a nicer road bike. However, I missed it so much that I just bought another 1x1 frame and am in the process of building it up! I cant wait to ride it!

Thanks for the advice

I test rode the Surly at a shop here in Colorado Springs. It rides awesome. It was an 18" and I need a 16" but I got a feel of how "smooth" it rides. I'm still going to look on ebay and in the classifieds cause I'm cheap. (actually married and just bought a new full suspension bike) With gas prices where they are I'm actually looking at getting a Cross Check instead to commute. I guess I could commute on a 1x1 but it's about 15 miles and I think it would be a whole lot faster on the Cross bike. Now I have to figure out which would be more fun a Surly 1x1 or Crosscheck. They're both the same price and both come complete from QBP.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Not sure if you are still interested in monocogs. I have an old steel 110 spacing monocog. Love it and ride it 95% of the time. Thinking of selling it to get a WaltWerks 29er. The monocog is a 16". I live near the Buffalo Creek area. If you wanted to ride the monocog and fit it, we could work something out. Either way, good luck.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Monocog

Bought a clapped out 'Cog about a year ago for $100 complete. Put another $100 in parts (chinc headset, trued wheels, bar, grips, used xtr brakes). I weigh 210lbs and raced it a couple o' times. The Cog feels like it wills you through the rough stuff. A great bike for the money. Maybe buy the redline and bank the remainder you would spend on the Surley? After a year, sell the redline and get nearly all of it back and buy the Surley. I would bet that you wouldn't part ways with the Cog though.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Monocog

I have an 06 monocog. LOVE IT!!!
    I have never ridden a 1X1 but I'm sure it's a great bike. I will never know because I'll always stick with the monocog. Thats just me though. I find something that works and stay with it. I went with the cog because I wanted to make some other purchases along with it. The stock part group is a little weak, so thats where I spent the other money.

06 monocog
    CK headset
    CK SS hubs
    Ti spokes
    Avid SD 7 levers
    Avid SD 7 brakes
    Scareb Super ( dont have the shoulders for rigid )
    Kenda Karma 2.0's

I went a little overboard with the build. I'm pretty tight with my LBS Bros though.
    Anyway the bike ROCKS!!!! You will not regret the monocog

Obi
    -_-
    Oct 2005

New question here. Ditto on Airzona Matt's reply!! Surly 1x1!

Thanks,
    Chris
    So chris, what did you end up with? Where's some pics?

obione

Not because I'm fast.....

SURLY 1x1 For Sure

Thanks,
    Chris
    Hey, I'm a front range SSer and I ride (rode) a SURLY 1x1 for 3 years. Guess what my name is too? Anyway, you can't go wrong with the 1x1 and the frame really rides nice for the price. Just don't drive into the garage like me with the bike on the racks and it'll last a lifetime.

RIP

Not because I'm fast.....

Did someone say Cross Check ?

I test rode the Surly at a shop here in Colorado Springs. It rides awesome. It was an 18" and I need a 16" but I got a feel of how "smooth" it rides. I'm still going to look on ebay and in the classifieds cause I'm cheap. (actually married and just bought a new full suspension bike) With gas prices where they are I'm actually looking at getting a Cross Check instead to commute. I guess I could commute on a 1x1 but it's about 15 miles and I think it would be a whole lot faster on the Cross bike. Now I have to figure out which would be more fun a Surly 1x1 or Crosscheck. They're both the same price and both come complete from QBP.
    SURLY SURLY SURLY Cross Check is another great option, but the 1x1 is better for rough technical offroad mountain biking. As many here have said, "if I can have only one bike it would be my cross check". I agree because it's good at almost everything.

MJLEBS6
    Apr 2004

Monocog

Quote Originally Posted by 2farfwd
    Hey, I'm a front range SSer and I ride (rode) a SURLY 1x1 for 3 years. Guess what my name is too? Anyway, you can't go wrong with the 1x1 and the frame really rides nice for the price. Just don't drive into the garage like me with the bike on the racks and it'll last a lifetime.

RIP
    I know that the Surly is a great bike and I am not her to dispute that. Personally I have a Surly Karate Monkey SS and a Late 90's Redline monocog 26". I also ride a on old Holdsworth converted to a SS for town riding. Give the Monocog a shot. It is still my favorite bike. I prefer it for weight and durability. I ride logs, rocks, etc and have had no issues. i have upgraded some parts from an older xc race bike and absolutley love it. I prefer it over my S-Works HT geared race bike. Surly has prestige but for the coin you can upgrade to a sweeter Monocog.
    Out

Now Uploading

Two votes for Monocogs

You know, we are talking about more than quality of manufacture, component spec if you buy a whole bike or even price here, we are also talking about bike fit and geometry. My first steel Monocog fit me so well and has been so much fun, that I did get that upgrade bug, and there wasn't much left of the original bike except the frame when I got done. The Blur, XTC hardtail, Bullit, Evil Imperial and road bike sit in the garage most of the time now since I have been riding this singlespeed. So I looked at the pile of original parts off my steel $400 Monocog bike in the garage, and recently ordered another frame to build up a second SS. Yeah, it's a 110mm spacing 2005 (aluminum Flight) frame too, to use the original Redline wheel, but I've been happy with the 110mm Phil Wood hub that I put on the steel Monocog.

The original parts spec was not bad. I didn't know how much I was going to like this bike until I started riding it so much. So I upgraded it exactly the way I want it. And built back up a second cheap SS to goof around on and ride this winter with studded tires on. There are a few upgraded parts on the newer Flight, but mostly hand-me-downs off other upgrade projects in the stable, like that old Fox Float.

Yeah, the steel ride is awesome. The aluminum is a bit harsher, but both bikes have suspension forks on them to tame the jarring. If I ever have a custom steel frame made, I'll go from the geometry numbers on these medium size Monocogs. It was quicker steering with the rigid fork on the steel one, but I like it just the way it is with the TALAS dialed to 90-100mm. As far as how these Monocogs handle and ride, Redline got it right, at least for me.

Cheers,

Dave
    Last edited by mtbdirteater; 11-29-2005 at 10:39 AM. Reason: typos
    Just Passing Through: eatin' dirt & crappin' dust

bhc
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005

they just keep coming

It amazes me how this "cheap" singlespeed Monocog keeps getting the rave reviews. I have ridden some $$$$$ bikes, and could easily afford another one like that, but that Monocog is just fun to ride, and I have not read a bad review yet by any. Maybe it has to do with you would not expect that much fun for that cheap, and yes I too have upgraded some parts, but plan on keeping it for a long time, and would love to get a good deal on used second one, just to have that back up, for the down maintenance times.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    is there a moncog fan club?

casue i'd join it! i loved the sh!t outta mine.

now i ride a custom steel niner that is nicer... but for the price i paid the monocog coulda been the best bang for my buck i ever got! i rode the steel version rigid for over a year and never had any complaints.

mtbr member

Thanks,
    Chris
    SURLY SURLY SURLY SURLY SURLY SURLY SURLY SURLY SURLY SURLY SURLY SURLY SURLY SURLY SURLY SURLY SURLY SURLY SURLY SURLY SURLY SURLY
    __________________________________________________ ________________

P.S. to FrozenK: Long live the Flying Spaghetti Monster

Members who have read this thread: 0