mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Surly 1 x 1, Kona Unit, or ?

Looking at building up a singlespeed for winter use and to serve as a backup when my full suspension is down (too often it seems) as well as something different and fun! I'm not interested in EBB, vertical dropouts, or chain tensioners. I like the simplicity of horizontal dropouts and I will be using disc brakes and a suspension fork (3-4"). The Surly and Kona seem like reasonable options at reasonable prices. They both seem a little heavy to me, but I haven't been able to find any other options. The Bianchi's look nice, but I can't seem to find details about them anywhere. They may be a little more than I'd like to spend at this point though unless there is a compelling argument to do so. I'm also a little worried about the stiffness of an aluminum frame since my old Cannondale M800 shakes the bejeezuz out of me.

What else should I consider?

drm
    old enough to know better
    Jul 2004

AussieLostInNyc

If you are tall'ish

throw caution to the wind and go a 29'er. Perhaps a surly Karate Monkey
    or for a complete bike the new fisher Rig.
    Definately will fit your request for fun and the larger wheels are great for SS.

gumby
    www.nycmtb.com
    .....spreading the love

King Pin

Wink Surly 1X1

Simply a magical ride, albeit just a tad portly.

Every bike stable should include one, IMO. Mine gets rode much more than my bling bling Sofa King Ti King Pin, inspite of the 7 or so lb. weight difference.

Somethin' about that purty black Surly just gits me all tingly-like.

She's my daily "do-all" choice!

Derailleurs owned: 0

EBB = simplicity when using disc brakes on a singlespeed.

My Bianchi D.I.S.S. is wonderful...
    my only complaints:
    - can't fit a 29" x 2.1 nano in the back, 700/44 mutano fits great
    - If it had an EBB, I wouldn't need to move caliper to remove rear wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by B R H
    ....I'm not interested in EBB, vertical dropouts, or chain tensioners. I like the simplicity of horizontal dropouts and I will be using disc brakes and a suspension fork (3-4"). The Surly and Kona seem like reasonable options at reasonable prices. They both seem a little heavy to me, but I haven't been able to find any other options. The Bianchi's look nice, but I can't seem to find details about them anywhere. They may be a little more than I'd like to spend at this point though unless there is a compelling argument to do so. I'm also a little worried about the stiffness of an aluminum frame since my old Cannondale M800 shakes the bejeezuz out of me.

What else should I consider?

curds and gravy fool

Don't buy the Unit....

.......unless you plan on never touching the full suspension again.

I love my Kona. Sliding dropouts are simple to adjust, and make the addition of discs easy, if you like. It has nimble and predictable handling. The rear triangle is compliant, but not so much as to be noticable when climbing or sprinting. My old Kona Kilauea was a bit squirrely on the downhills, but they seem to have fixed this on the Unit with better tube selection and shaping on the rear triangle.

It's a tad lighter than the 1x1, but in general, coming from the full suspension (geared, I assume?), you'll have so much less stuff on the frame anyway to worry much about the frame weight.

In general just good old steel welded up to the geometry Kona's been using for a long time. And, besides, you can just order the frame alone, and build it up with whatever you've got.
    Sometimes you gotta hold onto the grass to stop from flying off the earth.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Thanks!

I hate it when companies have multiple web sites. Anybody know where to purchase Bianchi frames? I'm not interested in their complete bikes or pink frameset.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I've thought about it, but I don't want to have more wheels and tires to deal with. I have lots of spare parts right now, including a huge tire pile to use up.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The disc issues are the most compelling argument for the Unit in my opinion. Not to mention it is easy to get frame only.

Any idea how much the Bianchi frames actually weigh?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Steel & rust?

Do I have to worry about a steel frame getting rusty? Since I plan on riding this bike alot in the winter, it will be getting pretty wet. Do all the little rock chips get rusty right away?

Is the stiffness difference between something like the Unit and a stiff aluminum frame like my Cannondale M800 really noticeable?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I do like the looks of the Surly the best and they are from MN (my home state). Too bad it is 1/2 pound or more heavier than the Unit frame, which is already too heavy in my opinion. I like the sliding vertical dropout the Unit uses too. Seems like the best solution for disc brakes. If I had to change a flat with horizontal track-style dropouts, I'd probably forget to tighten the caliper.

mtbr member

1x1

I just wanted to say that my 1x1 has changed my cycling attitude for life !
    I love this bike, rides so nice and built like a tank. It's all I've riden for the last four mos. and I just sold my Heckler this weekend to finance a custom 29" SS (Vulture)
    So whether your get a Unit or Surly, I think you will be happy. I too would consider a Karate Monkey (skid mark brown) you can have it all with that ride.
    BTW , you can treat your frame internally with rust-proofing and keep the frame clean in winter and you will be fine.
    Jefe'
    ' Bend's dirtiest Acupuncturist '

bendoregonsinglespeeders

teamwebcyclery

curds and gravy fool

Absolutely

Do I have to worry about a steel frame getting rusty? Since I plan on riding this bike alot in the winter, it will be getting pretty wet. Do all the little rock chips get rusty right away?

Yes, but by the time the frame is in any jeopardy, you'll be riding something else. I don't remember ever drying my last steel frame, and after ten years, it had no deal-breaking rust. You can also put a little clear nail polish on any chips that go through to the metal.

Most of the chips on my Unit are to the primer only (that really sounds wrong). They must have used great primer and crappy paint.

Is the stiffness difference between something like the Unit and a stiff aluminum frame like my Cannondale M800 really noticeable?

Only when you sit down.

Has a 19 inch Unit

I love my UNIT!! I play with it everyday!!

I have not ridden or owned a 1 x 1 but I can testify that my 05 UNIT is everything that I dreamed and hoped it would be. I have no complaints and love the sliding dropouts, steel frame, awesome tubing, disc capable hubs, and cool factor 10.

-JG
    "Man who eat many prune, sit on toilet for many moon"

-The Man

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

1x1

I'm quite convinced that my 1x1 is the nicest mtb I've ever owned. I've got a Thudbuster seatpost which helps.

The weight is not an issue. It's 24lb, I'd have to spend a lot of money to make it lighter, but it's ok for me.

Cheesiest
    "I too would consider a Karate Monkey (skid mark brown) you can have it all with that ride"-Pins Needles

I am thinking of selling my IRO Fixie and Inbred to consolidate

3 lb, 6 oz

My 19.5" D.I.S.S. frames weigh 3 lbs, 6 oz.

The P.U.S.S. might be even lighter, because it has Easton Ultralite Race tubing.

The disadvantage of kona's sliding dropouts is rear wheel alignment... unnecessary with EBB.

The disc issues are the most compelling argument for the Unit in my opinion. Not to mention it is easy to get frame only.

Any idea how much the Bianchi frames actually weigh?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Thanks, so about 3/4 of a pound difference.

That's alot! It all adds up and a lighter bike is just more fun as long as it's not breaking all the time. I've had good luck with very light parts, but I seem to be having nothing but trouble with full suspension -- swingarms and pivots in particular!

Do you know for a fact that rear wheel alignment can be an issue or is this just a theory? There are 2 bolts per dropout and they are spaced at least 1.5" apart, so it seems like it should pretty much self-align assuming the frame is straight to begin with. I'm not really worried about this.

Has a 19 inch Unit

No issues

Do you know for a fact that rear wheel alignment can be an issue or is this just a theory? There are 2 bolts per dropout and they are spaced at least 1.5" apart, so it seems like it should pretty much self-align assuming the frame is straight to begin with. I'm not really worried about this.
    The issue with allignment comes in the form of operator error - if you line it up wrong and tighten the bolts well..its lined up wrong. Doesnt take but a time or two to get the hang of it - i have had tighten the chain twice now after 100 miles to get the break in slack out - no issues with allignment if you allign it properly and tighten the bolts

Someone along the lines had a tough time at it (allignment) and it evolved into a SS legend of some sort if you ask me.

-JG

-The Man

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I see you have a 19" Unit...

So what does your inseam actually measure? What stem size are you using?

My pant size is usually 32" but I measure about 33" or so. I'm thinking a 19" Unit would be a good fit.

Semper Ardens

My pant size is usually 32" but I measure about 33" or so. I'm thinking a 19" Unit would be a good fit.
    BRH, for what's it worth: I'm 175 cm, which I think equates to 5 foot 9. I am not used to these Imperial Units; now, Kona Units, that's a different story. My pant size is usually also 32". I have a 18" Unit and would not want it any bigger (no comment ). I use the Koski stock stem, which I think is 110 mm.

Bottom line: If you are about the same height as me I would go for the 18"

Has a 19 inch Unit

my inseam

I have a 32 inseam and use a 120mm stem - The cockpit was a bit small for me out of the box I am 6, 0 and 200 lbs - I put on a larger stem and have my seat almost all the way back - A 20" would have fit me fine. If you get a chance ride a 19 and a 20. I didnt have that oportunity - I am however completely satisfied with my 19.

-JG

-The Man

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I want a 2005 Unit frame! Now where can I get one?

Kona says they won't be available thru there online shop until December. Are they available anywhere in the US yet? My local dealer does not have any.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I'm about 5'10.5", so the 19" sounds perfect. The top tube and standover are a close match to my other bikes as well.

Has a 19 inch Unit

Arizona Bicycle Experts

Kona says they won't be available thru there online shop until December. Are they available anywhere in the US yet? My local dealer does not have any.
    I got mine through my LBS Arizona Bicycle Experts here in Tucson a couple of weeks ago.

http://abecycling.com

ask for Mike tell him Casey told you about ABE

-JG

-The Man

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

2005 or 2004?

?????

curds and gravy fool

Which color do you perfer?

Other than color (2004 gray or 2005 green), the only difference I can see, is that the 2005 comes with serrated washers for the dropouts (hey where's mine Kona?). Okay, I broke bought some at the hardware store for my '04- all of 75 cents.

If you're still stuck for a place to order, try bikeman.com. Those guys have been super super reliable with my orders, and a cool shop to visit if you're ever in Bath, Maine for any reason. It's like an olde-timey general store bike parts.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Poutineyum
    Other than color (2004 gray or 2005 green), the only difference I can see, is that the 2005 comes with serrated washers for the dropouts (hey where's mine Kona?). Okay, I broke bought some at the hardware store for my '04- all of 75 cents.

If you're still stuck for a place to order, try bikeman.com. Those guys have been super super reliable with my orders, and a cool shop to visit if you're ever in Bath, Maine for any reason. It's like an olde-timey general store bike parts.
    The 2005 is green and is made with Dedacci (spelling?) steel.
    The 2004 is blue/gray and is made with True Temper OX steel.

I just ordered a 2004 unit from The Path Bike Shop. I believe they had the 2005 frames in stock. Give them a call 714-669-0784

Good luck.

Rollin' a fatty Moderator
    Another Unit vote here, mine is a 2004 frame size 18.

Had to replace the sliding droput bolts because I stripped one of the bolts and replaced them with stronger stainless steel deep head bolts. Other than that the bike is great.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Color doesn't really matter.

I was planning on removing the V-brake bosses since I will be using disc brakes, so
    I'll probably repaint it unless it is easy to touch up. Are these frames powdercoated or painted?

Has a 19 inch Unit

?????
    2005 pretty as can be

-JG

-The Man

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Complete bike or frame only?

I've found a few 2005 complete bikes relatively locally, but I'm really only interested in the frame (and they won't sell just the frame). The only thing that interests me on the complete bike is maybe the crankset if it is singlespeed specific, I can remove the bash ring, and the chainring is a normal 104 mm BCD (and not especially thick and heavy or anything like that).

Has a 19 inch Unit

Complete bike for me but...

I've found a few 2005 complete bikes relatively locally, but I'm really only interested in the frame (and they won't sell just the frame). The only thing that interests me on the complete bike is maybe the crankset if it is singlespeed specific, I can remove the bash ring, and the chainring is a normal 104 mm BCD (and not especially thick and heavy or anything like that).
    They may sell you the frame. I dont see any reason why they wouldnt unless Kona has put some restriction on that and if they have then getting an 05 frame from anywhere is gonna have to wait - give them a call and ask

-JG

-The Man

mtbr member
    Call the Path Bike Shop. They mentioned disassembing a complete bike if necessary. They are in CA and I am in DE. Shipping only cost about $23...not too bad.

The D.I.S.S. is very strong, unlike the S.I.S.S. which has been known to crack at the chainstay near bottom bracket.

The sliding dropouts are better than the Bianchi's horizontal slots... but still not as simple as an EBB. When you need to make chain tension adjustment, EBB is a single bolt operation... with a Kona, it's 4 bolts... not a huge deal, but worth considering. Cannondale's 1FG (rigid) is even lighter than D.I.S.S. and has EBB...

That's alot! It all adds up and a lighter bike is just more fun as long as it's not breaking all the time. I've had good luck with very light parts, but I seem to be having nothing but trouble with full suspension -- swingarms and pivots in particular!

'04/'05 differences

There are probably some more differences too... these are just what I can see in some high resolution pictures from their website.

'04:
    -bluish grey
    -Tioga/Red Phoenix tires
    -Koski stem and seatpost (bars too?)
    -Kona seat

'05:
    -green... not as pleasing to my eye as the '04
    -Nokian tires (fatter?)
    -TruVativ XR stem and seatpost (bars too?)
    -WTB seat

Quote Originally Posted by Poutineyum

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Is the Nokian NBT 2.1 a kevlar bead tire?

Just curious. I'm really only interested in the frame but may have no choice but to purchase a whole bike if I want one before December.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    A friend has a 1FG (yes, VERY rigid) and has had problems with the EBB (loosening and creaking, as well as having to re-adjust saddle position for different gearing). Also, I care more about flat fixing time vs. chain tension adjustment time. Thanks for your thoughts though.

Zion 853 EBB?

jensonusa.com has Zion 853 EBB frames for $425... in stock, so you could have it next week.

Reynolds 853 steel, as the name implies.

I'm not really trying to talk you out of the fine Kona Unit... this Zion is very new, no idea how well made it is.

Is the Nokian NBT 2.1 a kevlar bead tire?

Just curious. I'm really only interested in the frame but may have no choice but to purchase a whole bike if I want one before December.
    Last edited by c0jones; 10-14-2004 at 09:30 PM.