suping up a redline monocog!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2004

suping up a redline monocog!

anyone have an grand ideas about how to make my redline monocog better?im a noob at this stuff.just bought some specialized armadillo tires for the street ,have decent rims.i love my bike and wanna upgrade from stock.any help or ideas would be great thanks for your time.

formerly Giantxc
    Depends on your definition of "better."

If you mean for XC style riding I'd say a lighter frame. You could spend a ton of money on fancy stems, CK hubs, etc., etc., but you'd still have a heavy slug of a a frame with slow handling geometery. I started off with a MonoHog, road it for a year and once I was convinced that a slot in my stable would be reserved for an SS I bouht a lighter, more XC oriented frame. Keep in mind that your frame and wheels make the most difference to your ride quality - everything else is fine tuning in comparison.

Urban or Freeride: then your frame is probably fine so maybe something else.

Quote Originally Posted by gelst
    anyone have an grand ideas about how to make my redline monocog better?im a noob at this stuff.just bought some specialized armadillo tires for the street ,have decent rims.i love my bike and wanna upgrade from stock.any help or ideas would be great thanks for your time.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

bike is used for stret

monocog is used mostly for street,i am looking for possible ways to make bike faster on street,i have no idea what to do and am looking for suggestiona nd products that will help my bike run smoother and faster like better chain? better crank? stuff like that,any help would be gr3eat thanks

Am I getting too bulky?
    A chain and crank aren't gonna do squat for the street. Gearing and tires are your main points to consider.

BTW, the MonoCog is a beautiful bike, and certainly not a hog. The frame is worthy of the best parts available.
    I gotta roll, can't stand still, got a flame in my heart, can't get my fill.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikehigh
    A chain and crank aren't gonna do squat for the street. Gearing and tires are your main points to consider.

BTW, the MonoCog is a beautiful bike, and certainly not a hog. The frame is worthy of the best parts available.

awesome this is what i need gearing and tires are the main points to consider.what type of gears would be good for a moncog to amke it faster for the street?what else can i do to make it faster?i have some great tires atm,ned other suggestions as to what i can do to make my bike faster for the city streets.thanks for your time please help me.

mtbr member
    awesome this is what i need gearing and tires are the main points to consider.what type of gears would be good for a moncog to amke it faster for the street?what else can i do to make it faster?i have some great tires atm,ned other suggestions as to what i can do to make my bike faster for the city streets.thanks for your time please help me.
    I think the gearing and tire suggestions are good. The next thing to consider is your riding position. If you are riding only on the street, you may want to get drop bars with a slightly higher stem. The combination would allow for a fairly comfortable upright riding position for cruising and a lower, more streamlined position for speed. You would probably want to get brake levers with hoods also.

Next, you will want to shop for a lighter wheel set. If you upgrade to this extent it will cost some $$$. Street riding doesn’t require the sturdiness of your current wheel set. If you do go this route, keep all the old stuff for future project bikes. Your street fight’en MonoCog should be a sweet ride.

Medium?

Here's what I'd get

42 tooth big-ring, ditch the bash guard if there is one. Try to run the big ring on the same side of the crank as the ring you have, if it will fit. If your chainline isn't perfect, a 9 speed chain will work best.

15t AC Freewheel. An ENO would be nice, but they don't come that small, and it would be hard to swallow the cost.

Performance 26x1.25" tires. Pump 'em up to the max. Bring patches or use slime tubes, mine went flat a lot, but they are fast.

Get new brake pads and have them installed by the shop. They will have to adjust your brakes. This is necessary if you're going to be going fast in traffic.

Your bike will be a rocket for just over $100.

The only way you could make it faster on the street would be to put on a roadie crank and run a 53t gear, or change the rear hub to a casette-type and run an 11t or 12t cog.

SS Clyde 29er

bag the rear hub/wheel

most of the parts are preaty solid EXCEPT for the rear hub. mine was a total P.O.S. after one of my more agressive rides, the rear bearings seized up because the cones on the axel tend to constantly need tightening.

so i built up a sweet set of wheels w Phil BMX hubs. man o man whatta difference. my old wheels had the sucky rear hub n loose spokes which translated into a very inefficient ride. w the new wheels it is a much better performing bike. good luck.

formerly Giantxc
    Bikehigh, my Monohog nickname for the Monocog isn't met as an insult against the frame's quality. You can't deny that the frame is heavy. I'd also bet it is indestructable. When people refer to Harleys as Hogs I'm guess its not to indicate that their quality is lacking.

The point of my post was that if he was looking to make one faster for strictly XC riding and racing spending hundreds of dollars putting uber-light parts on a frame that weighs 2-3 lbs more than your avg steel frame may not be the best investment,

I road one for a year, it wasn't for me because it was too heavy and had too lax of a geometery for my riding style, so I moved on. I kind of wish I kept mine, however, to use as an urban bike where those qualities would be strengths not weaknesses. In addition, I have recommended it to a number of people who thought about going SS but didn't want to spend a lot of money.
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Bikehigh

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

thanks

thanks for all the replies and advice,i appreciate it.i love my monocog and i love cruising around the city streets and having fun.i just wanted to make my bike better,i got some good ideas thanks again

cause it's fun
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by MrXC
    I road one for a year, it wasn't for me because it was too heavy and had too lax of a geometery for my riding style, so I moved on.
    Can you elaborate on what is considered "lax geometery". I'm not very knolegeable in this area, but have always felt that my Monocog handled pretty good. Although I don't have much to compare it to except for my geared bike.
    bus driver wanna be

formerly Giantxc
    Quote Originally Posted by gofast
    Can you elaborate on what is considered "lax geometery". I'm not very knolegeable in this area, but have always felt that my Monocog handled pretty good. Although I don't have much to compare it to except for my geared bike.
    Things like a less steep headtube angle, longer wheelbase, etc. They add up to a more stable bike, where as one with a steeper angle and shorter wheelbase is likely to be quicker through turns etc., but a bit less stable.