Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Supergo trip report (roadie content)

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  gpsser 
#1 · (Edited)
We just got a new local Supergo here in NorCal (Mtn View, SF Bay Peninsula). I've been wanting to go, so today at lunch, I used the lack of anyone else in the office, and one of the best taquerias in the world as an excuse to go.

First of all, the SS content. They had a few of these Specialized Langsters. [CENTER][IM...o brakes and dura-ace track hubs. [/CENTER]
What I really liked though, in fact it was calling out to me, built up with Dura-ace, and in my size, was one of these:

Specialized Roubaix Pro; $1630 frame, $3600 w/full Dura-ace at S'go​

All of the Weyless house brand parts are very impressive when compared side-by-side with the likes of Easton (bars&posts), Thompson (stems), and FSA (carbon cranks).

[Side note: HR Pufunstuf just came on TVLand. Twisted TV at it's finest.]

What I mostly went to check out though was this frame:

It is much nicer in person than is shown in the pic. For $999, it comes with a $300 fork, and a $90 seatpost. The frame is 2.8lbs. You can see the Easton logo stamped into the tubing beneth the powder coat.

I also thought this Fuji Roubaix Pro (853 steel) frame was a great deal. $249 (!) with a carbon fork. I think the paint was different than this picture. I liked it better.

Strangely enough, I didn't much look at any mtb parts or bikes. I looked over the Demo 9 DH bikes, and some Iron Horse FR bikes. They didn't have any SSs, and I'm pretty satisfied with the steel I've been riding for two years. I did carry around one of these saddles for a while:

but I heard myself telling my wife to stop spending so much money, so I put it back. I'll buy it later.

I need a new commuter, in any case. The old french roadie is a couple cm too big, and the cottered cranks come loose a couple times a week. I'm leaning towards full-roadie for top speed and versatility. For SS content, though, I could build any of those frames up as a fixie with an ENO hub. I have a lot of friends who've taken to the road, and there is lots of good road around here. I'm getting more than double the road miles than dirt anyway. Why fight it?

A Spicer 29er cruiser or a Sycip Java Boy with a 1x9 would solve the commuter problem with more style though.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.