Superchunk- Mtbr.com

Thread: Superchunk

mtbr member
    May 2008

Superchunk

I see such beautiful trails all the time on here, but mine look like this: I like to ride rigid, and just ordered a ROS 9 plus at half price from Jenson, and hoping the big rubber takes a little off the jerking bar. Can't wait to try it out to give my 54-year-old body a little break!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Superchunk-img_3441-1200.jpg  

Always in the wrong gear
    IMO, super chunky XC stuff is there 29+ really shines.
    I love big wheels but I admit that they can be heavy and unwieldy in tight. When you can use the extra mass and the giant rollover to your advantage, it's practically cheating.

Enjoy the new sled!

Superchunk-gojohn-chunk.jpg
    Donít modify the trail to match your skills, modify your skills to match the trails.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ARandomBiker View Post
    IMO, super chunky XC stuff is there 29+ really shines.
    I love big wheels but I admit that they can be heavy and unwieldy in tight. When you can use the extra mass and the giant rollover to your advantage, it's practically cheating.

Enjoy the new sled!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GoJohn Chunk.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	262.7 KB 
ID:	1143573
    Thanks--and man, that is some rough with some major uphill too!

Always in the wrong gear
    Not to brag, but it's even steeper than it looks, and I'm standing prob 2/3 the way up the thing. I hit that hill with everything I had running a hamster-spin 32x22. I've never cleaned it on a SS.
    When I blew up and stalled out with about another 75-100ft of trail to go I just dropped the bike and decided it was a good time for a photo op while my HR came back down and my lead legs recovered.

I'm no SS-stud, it's the wheels. I couldn't make it half that far on a 26x2.25 bike
    Donít modify the trail to match your skills, modify your skills to match the trails.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Good plan-- we have a lot of up and down here and the only pretty much flat ride is around the lake at Rocky Gap State Park in Flintstone, MD, and 32x20 works for me. In the trails near my house, there is about 1,000 of quick elevation change, and I run a 22 as well. You didn't amazingly well getting that far on that climb even with the 22-tooth!

mtbr member
    Ooof that is chunky. Makes me even more grateful for the majority of my trails being hardpack with the occasional chunky section. Because I suck on rocks.

Members who have read this thread: 0