Suggestions for SS hard tail?- Mtbr.com
    Proud American

Suggestions for SS hard tail?

My 17 yr old fell in love with single speed MTB while riding in Israel last week. What are the bikes that are considered good quality in that genre? Single speed with front suspension for all mountain trails. I ride full suspension, but am excited to ride with him now.

mtbr member
    Need more info. 26, 650b or 29er? Steel, Ti, aluminum, or carbon? You said all mountain, so, you mean slack 66-69 degree head angle? He doesn't want a FS as well? Do you have a preferance for adjustability (EBB or sliders)?

We all ride different and want a bike to feel and handle a certain way. If i was going all mountain type of riding, i would look into an On One 456 carbon with swapouts. Or, a Lenz Milkmoney for XC/Trail type FS.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    My personal preference is a steel frame or titanium if you can afford it.

Salsa El Mariachi would be at the top of my list for 29er (comes in steel or Ti), Jamis Dragon is also a great option and its available as a 650b, or 29er (Reynolds 853 steel) but it would need to be converted to SS with a chain tensioner. Niner SIR9 is another great option. All will have slightly different geometries and handling characteristics, so definitely get him out to test ride as many as possible. There are tons of options, so find one that fits the best and get out and enjoy the ride.

Proud American
    Quote Originally Posted by jetboy23 View Post
    Need more info. 26, 650b or 29er? Steel, Ti, aluminum, or carbon? You said all mountain, so, you mean slack 66-69 degree head angle? He doesn't want a FS as well? Do you have a preferance for adjustability (EBB or sliders)?

We all ride different and want a bike to feel and handle a certain way. If i was going all mountain type of riding, i would look into an On One 456 carbon with swapouts. Or, a Lenz Milkmoney for XC/Trail type FS.
    Sorry. I think 29er is preferable. As far as carbon, steel etc, What matters in my mind is quality and durability. I'm not sure what "adjustability" is referring to? I'm familiar with many of the full suspension brands because that's the world I live in and the shops I've gone to don't carry single speeds MTB as they say it's a niche market.

mtbr member
    Milk Money is a full squish 29er as well as SS. But, 29er is not yet the prefered wheel for All Mountain or Downhill.

Adjustability means how to keep the chain tight. I like my EBB. Others like an eccentric hub or adjustable dropouts. You could even just try to find the magic gear.

Carbon is lighter and soaks up some trail chatter. Steel soaks up chatter well, but, is heavier. Aluminum can be jarring. I run an aluminum rigid and its fine for me. I've never ridden Ti, but, ppl say it is worth the coin.

You could even go customish- Carver, Siren. Loads of possibilities depending on cash.

mtbr member
    Highball AL

CB2
    Jam Econo
    Quote Originally Posted by ne_dan View Post
    Highball AL
    I've been thinking the same thing

Dinner for wolves
    Nimble 9, Honzo? Or does it have to be an off the shelf built up bike?
    Responds to gravity

mtbr member
    Carve Pro SS, Stumpy SS.

Highball AL.

Nimble 9.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    If you do an Internet search for single speed, an article ranked a few of them. Lynskey makes a ti single speed.

Members who have read this thread: 0