Suggestions for my first SS- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2009

Suggestions for my first SS

Looking for something to ride around town with and do some occasional off roading. Can you guys recommend what I should look into around the $500 range? I had my sights set on a Surly 1x1 but that might be out of budget. Then again, I'd probably be able to find a used one.

Any recommendations would be great.

Teen Wolf
    gt peace 9r
    redline monocog
    haro mary

Apr 2007
    Are you looking for a 26" or 29er? 1x1 is a great choice.

Low Rep Count
    I picked up my GT Peace for $474 at my local Performance store. Comes with decent parts to get you going. Mine is a 26" mind you. All the bikes listed by cr45h are good entry level SS's. You can't go wrong with the Surly though! It may be a little out of the price range though as the frame runs about $450 but you very well could find a used complete bike if you really look and are patient.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I'm not sure if i want a 26 or 29. I'll do more research but anyone convince me to go either way?

Going 29 brings the Karate Monkey into play, too.

Apr 2007
    There is the fence-sitter 650b option.

Low Rep Count
    Well, this is a huge debate question. I would like to say that you can normally find alot better deals on used 26" bikes but the market is now full of 29's now as well. I think it is going to boild down to the type of riding that you are going to be doing. If you are not going to be going into the woods all the time then I think a 26 is a good option. Hell, I ride a 26 in the woods and am quite happy with it. But they say that a 29 rolls over things much easier and the larger tires help with the suspension aspect of it all. The downside imo is that the bike just feels bigger to me and because of the parts I already had, it was slightly cheaper for me to just do a 26". But that all went out the window when I really just started throwing money at the project. Seriously, the best thing you can do is go to your local shop and ride both a 26 and 29 and develop your own opinion.

Low Rep Count
    Pnut is right! you can pick up a 26" frame and then stick 650b wheels on it and be right in the middle! Once again, I suggest getting to a shop and test riding a bunch to get a better idea of what you think will work for you.

Ovaries on the Outside
    I think you will be hard pressed to find 650b in your price range. I do recommend it if you ever get the chance.

Given you want to do town and trail, a dingle option might serve you best. Horizontal/track drop outs will serve that option best. Given where you live, spending a couple months watching for Monocogs on craigslist will probably turn up something in the 200 dollar range and leave room for (needed) upgrades. The other option is scour ebay.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Haro Beasley

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    A few weeks ago Haro had some 2009's left and I just got an Ally ss for 1/2 the $$$.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by idinomac
    A few weeks ago Haro had some 2009's left and I just got an Ally ss for 1/2 the $$$.
    Did you order from Haro directly?

Apr 2007
    If you had a couple hundred more to spend, this would be a sick bike:

http://cgi.ebay.com/2010-REDLINE-MON...item2eae51f62b

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Damn that would be nice.. especially with the bing cashback (I think that ends soon).. too bad it's too big for me.

Apr 2007
    What size are you after?

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I'd probably be a small... I'm 5'5

Bicycledr only has them in 17 and up... I think a 17 might be too big for me?
    Last edited by damnilocano; 07-09-2010 at 10:05 AM.

Apr 2007
    There was a member here by the name of mo0se that was selling his wife's Monocog Flight 29er (small) for pretty cheap. I don't see the ad anymore, but maybe it expired. Try messaging him.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    if you definitely decided on a 29er you oughta try the '09 se racing stout @ jenson for only 280 + 30-40 s&h only have 15s left or they have '10s for 480

Apr 2007
    17" probably will be a little too big for you. If it's at a local shop, might as well go try it out.

Ovaries on the Outside
    Search Kona Units on ebay. They will do 650b and they are going cheap!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Thanks everyone for your input. I decided to go with the Surly 1x1 frame and fork.

Now.. all I need are parts... any suggestions for budget parts?

Low Rep Count
    I got a few parts that are pretty much brand new I'm looking to dump. Sending PM

Members who have read this thread: 0