Suggestion For New Cranks- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Suggestion For New Cranks

I'm currently using a Shimano Saint M-800 crank on my SS 29er. I got it used at a swapmeet for like $45, and while i dont really have an issues with its performance, I think they're just a bit overkill (and heavy) for my SS (they're rated for Freeride/Downhill stuff). I also can't get as good of a chainline with the External BB.

So I'm wondering what a good replacement crankset would be? Ideally, I'd want them black, 175mms long and with the 4-bolt (104mm? BCD).I also prefer plain old square taper.

I want quality but price is always an issue, I also try to get my stuff used if possible.

Also wondering what i could expect to get for the Saints on craigslist.

Thanks

awesome
    Quote Originally Posted by Slurry
    I also can't get as good of a chainline with the External BB.
    No problems getting a straight chain line with my 2 Saint cranksets. By adding or removing bb spacers, and/or hub spacers, and/or flipping the cog (Surly cogs for ex. are not symmetrical) you should be able to get your chain in line.

If you want to stay with Shimano popular choices are the XT, LX, or the Hone. I tried the latter and went straight back to the Saint, but I'm a junkie for overkill crank stiffness.

mtbr member
    My rear hub uses a thread on Fixed Cog / Freewheel. I have fiddled with BB spacers and even Freewheel spacers, but I still cant get it as close as I'd like it.

Do they still make XT/LX in square taper? I like the shimano hollowtech stuff (had Dura Ace on my old roadbike, they were great).

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Sounds like you're a candidate for a set of older XTR octalink cranks and one of those spiffy middleburn 104 BCD conversion spiders for it.

I've got XTR 975 cranks with a Surly ring on the inside position and chainline looks darn good to me. Sure isn't causing any problems with a 3/32" singlespeed chain. I suppose I could move a BB spacer and/or the chainring if I needed to fiddle with it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by johnmyster99
    Sounds like you're a candidate for a set of older XTR octalink cranks and one of those spiffy middleburn 104 BCD conversion spiders for it.

Sounds a bit more expensive (cranks, BB and conversion kit), but I guess the general idea is that Shimano makes some of the better and/or more cost effective cranks?

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Well, you suggested non-external and I figured Middleburn and White Industries would be even further out of your price range.

The XTR cranks I suggested have been out of production for many years now, and can be had reasonably (perhaps even with the roller-bearing bottom bracket) on ebay or classifieds here. They won't work for you in stock trim, because the big chainring WAS the spider. Frequently they can be found with a dedicated singlespeed spider/ring, like the white industries or middleburn setups. Did Blackspire make those rings or Boone? Anyhow, it's a pretty pimp, high-rigidity setup that some SSers seem to like especially in 180mm.

If you want nicer square tapered cranks, LX and XT cranks of those generations can be had on ebay, even up to 180mm, but sometimes 110 or 94 BCD and not the 104 you want. Plenty of good Bontrager cranks 5 years ago still had square tapers. I recently equipped some of my commercial bikes (rickshaws) with Shimano 45x series cranks (triple, mountain, square taper) and they're really good cranks for the money ($25 wholesale). Race Face Turbine cranks were legendary square tapers, but again, 94 BCD and not 104. Honestly, any of the shimano octalink setups were pretty nice, pretty stiff, and can be had cheap though bottom bracket availability is getting iffy.

Shimano wrote the book on the splined bottom bracket (Octalink) setups. They did it write and ISIS failed trying to follow. Then they wrote the book on external designs. Set it and forget it. Truvativ copied it and did an okay job. Some of the external FSAs in alloy use the same pinch-bolt design. However, Race Face and carbon FSAs failed. So yeah, to me, I just assume not mess around with setups that have proved problematic (to me) in the past. I'm amazed at the prices on XT level gear at Chainreaction. I got the XTRs but I even considered some deals on new Deore integrated kits that I found for under $100.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

mtbr member
    i have the XTR 975 cranks as well they do pretty well for me give them a try

Members who have read this thread: 0