Suggestion on Crankset/BB?- Mtbr.com
    Phil from San Diego

Suggestion on Crankset/BB?

I'm ready to convert! =) Only thing left is to find a crankset and BB. Don't think I can use my stock crank/chain rings because I can't take the rings off the crank and the square tapered BB is pretty heavy...

I hear people mention Eno cranks... what does that look like? And what else do people use for SS crankset? The only thing I've seen for sale is the Truvative SS Crankset w/BB.. but I don't really like the way it looks... but the price is right at just a bit over $100.

Or maybe I should try looking for a crank w/out ring.. then buy a SS chain ring to go with it..?

If you have some pics or links, I'd appreciate it. =)

Phil.

Peace & Love
    Quote Originally Posted by Prexus2005
    I'm ready to convert! =) Only thing left is to find a crankset and BB. Don't think I can use my stock crank/chain rings because I can't take the rings off the crank and the square tapered BB is pretty heavy...

I hear people mention Eno cranks... what does that look like? And what else do people use for SS crankset? The only thing I've seen for sale is the Truvative SS Crankset w/BB.. but I don't really like the way it looks... but the price is right at just a bit over $100.

Or maybe I should try looking for a crank w/out ring.. then buy a SS chain ring to go with it..?

Phil.
    what type of cranks? surprised to hear you are unable to take of the rings. also, if you do decide to get a new crankset/chainring, shouldn't be a problem using your current square taper crankset. If you have not already, take a look at the FAQ on the right side of the screen...it helped me a lot with misc. single speed stuff.

in general, the Stylos are fine cranks. I have them on one of my bikes. If you dont like the look because they are black, you can get them polished as well (http://www.webcyclery.com/product.php?productid=16521&cat=401&page=1).

provide more info on type of cranks and bike etc....and some folks will be able to guide you much better than I.

For what it is worth, I love the ENO cranks and since you asked, here is what they look like
    Attached Images Attached Images

Phil from San Diego
    See, I like the look of your crank and the chain ring. Looks simple and elegant. The Stylo crankset.. the crank looks fine but maybe it's the way the chain guard and chain ring I don't like.. it looks heavy... =p

The bike I'll be converting is a 04 Giant Yukon... I don't really know all the sizing yet.. will have to measure the BB to know if it's 68 or 73 ... 108 or 113.. etc.. Yeah, I know I can use the stock square taper BB.. but that sucker is like 400+ grams! and I rather move to an ISIS. Tired of the square taper spindle and cranks creeking even though I've tighten the crank bolts as much as I can. So a new set-up would probably be best.

Going to head over to the Supergo Store later today or this weekend and see things up close...

Oh, those Eno cranks.. did it come with the chain ring? I don't see the standard 4 bolts that attach the crank to the chain ring...

I also assume there are places that sell just cranks w/out chain rings that I can buy? Then all I need is to buy a chain ring and matching BB and I'm gtg yes? I'll re-read the SS-FAQ again.

Phil.

Peace & Love
    See, I like the look of your crank and the chain ring. Looks simple and elegant. The Stylo crankset.. the crank looks fine but maybe it's the way the chain guard and chain ring I don't like.. it looks heavy... =p
    I understand. "Looks" are part of the reason I got it. It is also very light. The only disadvantage, which for me really is not one given my type of riding, is that you cant run a bash-guard but the riding required where I live that requires that is reserved for my 6" travel bike anyway. It is indeed elegant and just great all around.

Yeah, I know I can use the stock square taper BB.. but that sucker is like 400+ grams! and I rather move to an ISIS. Tired of the square taper spindle and cranks creeking even though I've tighten the crank bolts as much as I can. So a new set-up would probably be best.
    Be careful with your assumptions. Like anyting in the bike world, implementation/quality of the design is most important, not so much the design. The point being that there is NOTHING wrong with square taper. I would MUCH RATHER have a quality square taper bottom bracket than an ISIS, as will I bet 95% of the people on this board. Note that the ENO cranks run square taper. For a bomb-proof setup, you would go with ENO cranks and a Phil Wood bottom bracket....I am so stoked on that setup.

External bearing stuff is great too. I have run the Race Face X-type stuff on other bikes and was very happy......great option too....I just would not bother with ISIS personally.

Going to head over to the Supergo Store later today or this weekend and see things up close...
    Where do you live? How far are you from Tustin? Supergo is hit or miss depending on which store you go to and which person you deal with. "The Path" would be killer if you can make it there.

Oh, those Eno cranks.. did it come with the chain ring? I don't see the standard 4 bolts that attach the crank to the chain ring...
    The chainring comes with the cranks. I am running a 32tooth but they have larger if you want as well and you are correct, there are not the "normal" 4 or 5 bolts that you attach the chainring to. You attach the ring to the cranks via a spline that you tighten down with a lockring (very easy by the way).

Cheers

Phil from San Diego
    Thanks for the help Shizzle. Cleared alot of things up. =) Guess I assumed square taper was an older design and didn't work as well but that's probably a wrong assumption. I'm still relatively a newbie and learning as I go. Cranks/chain rings/BB are the last things on a bike that's still a bit mysterious to me with all the different setup/options, but I'm getting there. =)

I live in San Diego/Rancho Bernardo, so the Oceanside Supergo is only 15min away. Tustin I think is about an hourish.

For simplicity sake, the Stylo SS crank w/ BB is probably the best way to go and it's only $100.. and maybe I'll get used to the way it looks and might grow on me... But rather look at other options before I make the decision.

Anyone else have anything they like to show off/suggest? =)

Phil.

"Mr. Britannica"

Phil.

Here's a deal... get the new LX setup at Nasbar on sale for $100 and use the 20% off coupon for a net deal of $80. You've got $ left for a Salsa ring. Sell the LX rings and now you have $ for a bashguard.

Peace & Love
    Quote Originally Posted by roadiegonebad
    Here's a deal... get the new LX setup at Nasbar on sale for $100 and use the 20% off coupon for a net deal of $80. You've got $ left for a Salsa ring. Sell the LX rings and now you have $ for a bashguard.
    agree....very good suggestion. that is quite a price for a great setup!

Phil from San Diego
    Rodie, I'm not seeing that.. the cheapest LX cranks on Nashbar is like $139ish... got a link for me? =) Thanks.

Phil.

Peace & Love
    I have not looked but that sure would be a great deal on the LX-580 version. I would believe the LX-572 version certainly under $100. Please let us know if the 580s are indeed $100...I will by a few I think.

cheers

"Mr. Britannica"
    Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle
    I have not looked but that sure would be a great deal on the LX-580 version. I would believe the LX-572 version certainly under $100. Please let us know if the 580s are indeed $100...I will by a few I think.

cheers

Apparently the sale is over... it sure WAS the 580s (BB included) and they were 99 and change just a day or 2 ago. It pays the check the deals board every now and then.

Peace & Love
    Quote Originally Posted by roadiegonebad
    It pays the check the deals board every now and then.
    apparently so....next time you see a great deal, just buy it for me and put it on my tab

mtbr member

180mm XT M760's @ Nashbar for $160

With the current coupon (good thru 6/28) you can get the XT's down to about 160. These have the hollowtech integrated BB. Add a SS ring for ~$30, sell the stock rings and you're setup pretty nice.

"Mr. Britannica"
    Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle
    apparently so....next time you see a great deal, just buy it for me and put it on my tab

I don't think so, but Jenson's market price is now 115... not sure if you can combine that with their current 10% coupon

mtbr member

seperate question

can you use any cranks you want in an Eccenctric BB?
    Last edited by disco; 06-24-2005 at 12:53 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by disco
    can you use any cranks you want in an Eccenctric BB?
    Yes. Think of an Eccentric BB as just a normal threaded BB shell that moves inside a larger shell.

mtbr member

Ignore the Xt deal...Sold out already.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon
    With the current coupon (good thru 6/28) you can get the XT's down to about 160. These have the hollowtech integrated BB. Add a SS ring for ~$30, sell the stock rings and you're setup pretty nice.
    Gone from the Nashbar site.